Hinge question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 01-18-2013, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Hinge question

Hello,

I need help deciding what kind of hinge to use for my shelf with cabinet project. I plan to make the door fully inset into the case. The sides and door thickness will probably not exceed 5/8". I was looking at H and H L hinges, but I think I would like to make the wood the main feature over the hardware. I also don't what it to be hinged like a kitchen cabinet. Anyone have any ideas or can point me in the right direction. I am not very experienced in hinges; I've used but hinges, European hinges (if that's right, the 35mm cup ones). I have not, however, done full inset hinges. Would Roto-hinges be an option? Any help is appreciated, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACP View Post
Hello,

I need help deciding what kind of hinge to use for my shelf with cabinet project. I plan to make the door fully inset into the case. The sides and door thickness will probably not exceed 5/8". I was looking at H and H L hinges, but I think I would like to make the wood the main feature over the hardware. I also don't what it to be hinged like a kitchen cabinet. Anyone have any ideas or can point me in the right direction. I am not very experienced in hinges; I've used but hinges, European hinges (if that's right, the 35mm cup ones). I have not, however, done full inset hinges. Would Roto-hinges be an option? Any help is appreciated, thank you.
You could use euro hinges set up for full inset. They will provide good adjustment abilities.

post #3 of 9 Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Either hinge would work but you may want to make the door at least 5/8" thick if you wish to use a european hinge. Normally the cup hole is drilled 1/2" deep and if you use a forsner bit the center tip would run the depth within 1/32" of the face. 3/4" would be a better thickness or route the cup hole with a router.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 07:29 AM

View Danno's Photo Album My Photos
+1 with cabinetman. This is the one.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130119_062832.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  29.4 KB
The Following User Says Thank You to Danno For This Useful Post:
cabinetman (01-19-2013)
post #5 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
ACP

Ok, thanks for the replies folks. I know that these are awesome hinges, I used them in a curio cabinet I built and I love the adjustability of them. I am looking for something more classic looking or more subdued though. I'll look around some more. Thanks!
post #6 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
How 'bout this. For inset doors, you don't need hinges. A cabinet will usually have either the bottom edge or the top edge that can't be seen easily. This method is very simple. The door pivots on two small pieces of hardware.

As an example, an upper cabinet in a kitchen. Drill out a hole in the top near the front approximately 1/8", and a pilot hole in the top edge of the door. Insert a screw through the top of the cabinet, then a nylon washer or steel, and into the top of the door.

The bottom of the install consists of inserting a pop rivet in the bottom edge of the door at the same plane as the screw at the top. Drill a small hole in the floor of the cabinet for the pop rivet nose to be inserted through a washer. The nail part of the pop rivet may have to get snipped a bit shorter.

To install, set the door with the pop rivet through a washer into the floor of the cabinet. Then, at the top, place a washer over the hole on the top of the door and insert screw. The screw should be snug to the cabinet, but not tight enough to impair rotation of the door. This setup for an upper cabinet is reversed to do a base cabinet, wherein the pop rivet goes into the top of the door, and the screw is at the bottom.

Why you ask? Well, you don't see the screw on the bottom of the base cabinet or on top of the upper cabinet. I've done this type of configuration many times, and the screw does not wallow out the hole...believe it or not. This works if you have access to the underside of the base cabinet and the top of the upper cabinet.

Talk about being subdued...nothing shows.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
ACP (01-19-2013)
post #7 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 AM

View Danno's Photo Album My Photos
Nice idea! You can actually buy hardware for this..but I like your method so much more....cheap and easy. And stronger than most of the expensive specialty stuff out there. Thanks! I want to try this now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danno For This Useful Post:
ACP (01-19-2013), cabinetman (01-19-2013)
post #8 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 12:25 PM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
You could try Soss invisible hinges. There is very little adjustability and they're time consuming to install, but they look and work awesome. I used them on my last build. Don't want to hijack your thread, but if you want I could give you a quick step by step on how I installed them & dialed them in. Here's a few pics

Hinge question-image-676560598.jpg

Name:  image-2643038915.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  44.7 KB

As here's the finished product:

Hinge question-image-1490404468.jpg
post #9 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
ACP

Those do look nice too. Thank you for the pics. A lot of the hinges for me are hard to visualize if I dont see them. Those SOSS hinges are really cool.

I ordered some roto hinges. From Lee Valley. They appear to be an easy install and were cheap. ( Ordered a marking knife and a 4" grobet saw file too. shh don't tell SWMBO). I'm going to try these. I appreciate all the input. I think for as small as this cabinet is going to be the others (euro, soss) might be overkill. I'll definitely keep those options available though for the future. Especially the elegant look of the soss hinges. Thank you everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode