A High-End Mudroom - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 03-15-2013, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

View Russell Hudson's Photo Album My Photos
A High-End Mudroom

We have done work for them before. Their home is large and very well appointed. When you first enter the house from their garage, you pass through this small room before taking the stairs up to the main floor. The New England states have their share of rainy and snowy days so they wanted this to be a mudroom. It would have cabinetry to keep their hats & coats, gloves & boots AND they wanted this space to be every bit as rich looking as the rest of their home. They care about their place, have very good taste and I'd always found them a pleasure to work for.
As our previous projects had turned out well, they asked me to design everything from scratch. I elected to create wainscot to wrap the walls & climb the stairs… and to have it blend well with the built-ins.
Here is my sketch recommendations for the wainscot. It shows two panel configurations, an elevation profile and the detail of the 'cap'.

Here's a shot of the wainscot where a vent needed to be incorporated

This is the rendering for a closet to hang coats with baskets to store gloves, etc. and a seat to put on/remove shoes with a lift top for storage beneath. I wanted to use a ornate cast-iron bracket as a corbel for the cantilever top section. Also notice how the lower section works with the wainscot.

And here it is after painting (although without the mirror & other wall hangings)

They decided that we'd need more shoe storage so we added this a third of the way into the project. Here is that sketch…

This is how the paneling looked climbing the stairs

Here is a wide angle shot to give you a better sense of the overall look / clicking on this photograph will bring the shot to full size...

I've built larger projects and quite a few incorporating more detail but this is a favorite of mine. I really like how these built-ins work with the wall panels …as much as anything else I've had the pleasure of making.

If you get bored, check out our website

Russell Hudson / Hudson Cabinetmaking, Inc.

http://www.hudsoncabinetmaking.com/
"Courage is knowing what not to fear"~Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-16-2013, 08:15 AM

View daveinjersey's Photo Album My Photos
Since no one else has commented, yet, let me say that this deserves a "wow". "High End Mud Room" sounds like kindofa contradiction in terms, but this is very nice. What kind of wood is that?
post #3 of 7 Old 03-16-2013, 08:28 AM

View tcleve4911's Photo Album My Photos
Beautiful workmanship.
Love the sketches.........

So where do they hang their wet, snow covered jackets?
Wait........let me guess.......they drive into a heated garage and get out of the Caddie and never get snow or rain on them

Just kidding but hey....with a finished mud room like that?????

Learning more about tools everyday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-16-2013, 09:32 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
I will most definitely NOT be showing this to Mrs Kenbo. If she sees the amazing job you've done, she will have another project for me to do. Very nice work. I love the way that everything ties in together. Looks gorgeous and I'm sure that they were very happy with it. After all, who wouldn't be?

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #5 of 7 Old 03-16-2013, 11:54 AM

View Bill White's Photo Album My Photos
Very well done (both design and execution).
Bill
post #6 of 7 Old 03-16-2013, 12:57 PM

View davidbard's Photo Album My Photos
very nice
post #7 of 7 Old 03-16-2013, 06:48 PM

View jascotx's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like I will have to log on to s computer to see alll of the sketches. The one I can see looks great.

Tags
fancy mudroom, high end mudroom, high end wainscot, mudroom clothes storage, richly appointed wainscot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode