Woodworking Talk banner

Hidden and secret garage

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  sunnybob 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys...

This is my garage area... where is my workshop??? My workshop is a room (last picture) in my house.. i dont want to show you...Because my shop is dirty now..i promise you.. i will clean it and i will show you...This is my car.. it is a 92 years NISSAN NX COUPE... it is a clasical..my cat like to sleep on it... I love it so much.. I love Japan and American clasical cars... I don't like European cars... unfortunately I have to wait for my car 4 years..

Because I had a big traffic accident last year...
My driver's license and my license plate were confiscated for 5 years... I am using metro bus or bcycle now...

Anyway..I want to a real garage...Unfortunately we don't have any garage culture...The people park their cars in the their neighbor or in the their garden (like me) ..

I will be honest .. I am jealous for your garage culture...

The people don't need a real garage...why ??? Because labor is very cheap in my country...

There are a lot of masters from Syria Iraq and Iran in here...

They can work just and only 30 tl (it is 5 dollars) for ALL DAY .. it is not for A HOUR...

They can fix our cars.. Of course They are working illegal... I am sorry for these people...

There is a only a problem..They can not speak Turkish.. They can speak only Arabic.. we have to speak with a translator..

Anyway...I can build my garage in my garden but it is impossible. ..

Because my mother has fruit trees in my garden IF I CUT MY MOTHER'S FRUIT TREES ..... MY MOTHER CUTS TO ME WITH A KNIFE lol.....

I did a watch a video at YouTube yesterday night...

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
It is this video...

It looks so cool... it is like in a Batman movies..

What do you think abouth this system ????

Have you got any experience about it ???

Have you any information about this system ???

How is it work ????

Where are rain and snow water going ???

I know... it was very long.. Thank you so much for your answers ...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH AGAIN FOR READING GUYS....

#3 ·
I like to keep things simple. The less machinery to control my life, the better. Sure, convenience is a thing, but it comes with a price you won't see probably until it becomes really inconvenient.

As in, what happens if your car is in one of these hidden garages and you lose power? I'm guessing only if you have an expensive power backup system will you be able to retrieve your vehicle. If you have an emergency in that time ... what do you do? The most common scenario where I live is probably hurricanes. Our power grid gets knocked out often enough when a storm comes through. I need to be able to travel during that time to take care of family and animals.

And what do you do with the space on top of that garage? Probably nothing more than grass, or maybe a couple of seats can take up the space. That's probably ok if you have a large yard, but if you have a small yard, you are severely limiting yourself to what you can do with the yard. You definitely couldn't plant your mom's fruit tree(s) on it.

For your situation, maybe you could look into a simple roof structure, either self-standing, or coming off the house, that would provide protection for your car from the elements. Cost would probably be minimal compared to something like a hidden garage.

#4 · (Edited)
I like to keep things simple. The less machinery to control my life, the better. Sure, convenience is a thing, but it comes with a price you won't see probably until it becomes really inconvenient.

As in, what happens if your car is in one of these hidden garages and you lose power? I'm guessing only if you have an expensive power backup system will you be able to retrieve your vehicle. If you have an emergency in that time ... what do you do? The most common scenario where I live is probably hurricanes. Our power grid gets knocked out often enough when a storm comes through. I need to be able to travel during that time to take care of family and animals.

And what do you do with the space on top of that garage? Probably nothing more than grass, or maybe a couple of seats can take up the space. That's probably ok if you have a large yard, but if you have a small yard, you are severely limiting yourself to what you can do with the yard. You definitely couldn't plant your mom's fruit tree(s) on it.

For your situation, maybe you could look into a simple roof structure, either self-standing, or coming off the house, that would provide protection for your car from the elements. Cost would probably be minimal compared to something like a hidden garage.
Thank you very much for your answer....

I want to carry my workshop and my car underground...
I don't want to work woodworking in my room..

Because my room (my workshop) has no sound insulation...

My mom is disturbed by the my noise...
She can not sleep when I work in my room..
She is very old..
She stays at my home with me
I don't want to sad my mom...
She is my everything.. my father is dead nine years ago.... Because he was cancer...

Emergency times ...I can call my uncle... he has got a car....

MY OPTIONS

1) to Rent a shop

This option is impossible for me.. to rent a shop is too expensive...I can't pay Because I am a student..

2) to add a roof

I can not any change inside or outside my home...
Because local municipality is punishing..

Offfffff I have no other option.....

#5 ·
Your idea of an undersground shop will cost $$$$$$$$

It would be cheaper to rent a space. It's not very practical. Move out into a different space where you can work without disturbing anyone.

A workshop is a luxury for some people without a proper space. A two car garage works for many people. I realize that in Turkey, space is expensive. There may not be an easy or cheap alternative.Find another woodworker who will share their space? :|

#9 ·
It would be cheaper to rent a space. It's not very practical. Move out into a different space where you can work without disturbing anyone.

A workshop is a luxury for some people without a proper space. A two car garage works for many people. I realize that in Turkey, space is expensive. There may not be an easy or cheap alternative.Find another woodworker who will share their space? :|
Thank you so much for your suggestion @woodnthings...

I like to work alone.. my workshop ..my personal space... it is my private... it is my special...

I hope i will find a solution...

#6 ·
if you have building limits in your neighborhood,
you need to consult with a building engineer to see
what is possible for your property.
I am thinking many, many thousands of US Dollars to do
something like that. if it is possible at all.
basically, it is a concrete room under the ground with pumps
to pump out any water. then the hydraulic lift that is used
in car repair shops has to be installed.
unfortunately, this may not be a homeowner DIY project in your area.
best of everything in all your endeavors.

but just for your information, a "4 post car lift" is about
$2,000.00 here in the USA with tax and shipping extra.

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
Whereabouts in Turkey are you? I have just come back from Dalyan where we had a holiday, to see the turtles. I live in Cyprus (Kibris)

Move your car out into the street and make a workbench that will fold down from the wall when you want to work.
Nice to meet you @sunnybob .... I live in IZMIR... I love this city. .. I hope you had a good time in Turkey...

Which Cyprus do you live in ?????
I have been two times in North Cyprus for a job... it is a so beatiful country... i did travel GIRNE LEFKOSA and GAZI MAGUSA...
I don't know South Cyprus...

(Move your car out into the street and make a workbench that will fold down from the wall when you want to work)
This is impossible for me ....
I don't want to drive a car again... I love my car.. I don't want to sell it..but I don't want to drive it..
I am watching that big traffic accident (like a movie) in my brain everyday....
That big traffic accident is in my nightmare...
I think so I can not drive a car again...
It did never move during one year...
Does it work again ??? I don't know. .. The whells looks bad... I did order a car cover for it yesterday...
What happens 4 years later ??? Really i dont know.. i hope i can forget that big traffic accident ...

Thank you so much for reading...

#13 ·
I live on the greek southern side, but only a few kilometres from gazimagusa.
Thats a bad thing that you cant drive your car anymore, but I think you need to move on from the accident and sell the car while it still has some value.
There are many cars like that in Cyprus, the original owners think that they will use the car again one day, and then when the children take the covers off it is just a pile of scrap metal and costs money to have it taken away.

The egg trays are very good at reducing sounds, just stick them to the walls. But they need to be dusted often to stop the wood dust becoming dangerous to anybody in the room. And DO NOT paint them! Paint makes them hard and then they stop being any good at reducing sound levels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.