Hi All. I'm also new to woodworking - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 06-20-2008, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

View AMKCH's Photo Album My Photos
Question Hi All. I'm also new to woodworking

I know for many of you it's not just a hobby. I'd like it to be the same for me. I just purchased my first midi lathe and circular saw. Now, this may seem stupid to some of you, but..... Now that I got them (it's always been a dream of mine), How do I use them? Don't be impatient or intimidating... I just need a bit of encouragement and tutorialship... Where can I get books or manuals to teach me?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-20-2008, 07:50 PM
gnu

View gnu's Photo Album My Photos
don't be scared-they're only machines-get some wood and try them out-nobody judging you
post #3 of 4 Old 06-20-2008, 09:20 PM

View Nancy Laird's Photo Album My Photos
As far as the lathe is concerned, learning to use it is easy. Learning to use it properly and well and to turn out beautiful things takes lots and lots of practice. I suggest that you find an AAW chapter in your area, or go to Woodcraft and ask if there is someone who can give you lessons or pointers, so you can do it "right." I didn't---I depended on a couple of people (LOML and a friend), who gave me conflicting lessons and advice and confused me.

As for accessories, how deep is your pocket--or how high the limit on your credit card? You'll need:
Turning tools - lots of new turners start with the HSS set from Harbor Freight - under $50 and a good way to learn the sharpening techniques
  • Turning smock (to keep the curlies out of your tee-shirt and shorts) and some GOOD face protection - lots of turners use a Trend airshield to keep the dust - particularly sanding dust - out of your nose and lungs
  • For pens: mandrels, bushings, kits, blanks, CA glue for gluing blanks, drill press to drill for tubes, end mill, pen press, sandpaper and/or micromesh, finishing supplies (BLO, shellac, lacquer, friction polish, CA if you're so inclined)
  • Buffing system - Beall three-wheel
  • Two or three faceplates - 3" and 6" (they also come in 4" and 8" and some smaller too)
  • At least two chucks - large and small - and they aren't cheap - Oneway Talon or Stronghold or Nova - with multiple sets of jaws
  • 30 and 60 degree live centers
  • Jacobs chuck
  • Vacuum system if you are going for bowls
Before you commit to starting to turn, take all of your money out of your wallet, take a picture, and post the picture on the wall above your lathe so you'll remember what it looks like, because if you succumb, you will have entered the abyss--where all money goes and the vortex just keeps pulling you in deeper and deeper.

Have fun!

Nancy and Dave Laird
D&N Specialties
Rio Rancho, NM
David works in the Pro Sales Divison at Woodworker's Supply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-21-2008, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

View AMKCH's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
Before you commit to starting to turn, take all of your money out of your wallet, take a picture, and post the picture on the wall above your lathe so you'll remember what it looks like, because if you succumb, you will have entered the abyss--where all money goes and the vortex just keeps pulling you in deeper and deeper.

Have fun!
Thanks for your info, Nancy... it was just what I needed to know. My pockets ain't very deep tho lol... But, I am an artist and do understand the cost of tools! They can run into the bucks can't they?!

Tags
circular saw, lathe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode