HF selling Titebond glue? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 08-11-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

View MariahHolt's Photo Album My Photos
HF selling Titebond glue?

I stopped by my local HF on the way home from work and noticed something new. (This was sitting right next to the Gorilla Glue) Does Titebond have agreement with HF to resell their glues under a different labeling?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-11-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Links online

I found the links on their website. In the item description they dont say its titebond, but if you look at the url links, it shows them as titebond.

http://www.harborfreight.com/titebon...-oz-91768.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/titebon...lue-91769.html
post #3 of 14 Old 08-12-2011, 12:14 AM

View diywoodworker's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe you could get one of the MSDS sheets and compare it to titebonds? Sure seems like a great way to get cheaper glue! Especially with one of these!

(this one expires 9/15/11 in case you can't read it)

Edited to add: I just looked at the color, and it looks to be very very white. Titebond is much more of a yellow than this. Did it looks this white in store?

--Mike

Check out my blog at www.diywoodworker.com

Last edited by diywoodworker; 08-12-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-12-2011, 12:40 AM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
I think someone just wrote titebond on the shelf stickers. Or its the cast off stuff that titebond doesn't want sold under their label.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
post #5 of 14 Old 08-12-2011, 03:24 AM
The woodwrongs shoppe

View lawrence's Photo Album My Photos
I'll go pick some up and try it .....if nothing else it maybe useful in dovetails or something that already has its own strength

lawrence

__________________________________________________ _____________
post #6 of 14 Old 08-12-2011, 07:42 AM

View Taylormade's Photo Album My Photos
Could be legit and in a white bottle. Looks like they may have just had to repackage it. http://www.polyurethaneglue.com/prod...2574047730_2_1

Ut Prosim
post #7 of 14 Old 08-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Manufacturers repackage / relabel products all the time to be sold under various names and at various price points, for exactly the same item. I will never cease to be amazed by the stubborn insistence of some that when comparing two items that are quite obviously exactly the same except for packaging, that one is better than the other just because of the name on the sticker... It's Badge Engineering at its utmost. Not the automotive example, but similiar in concept and execution...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com

Last edited by dbhost; 08-12-2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Looked up Wiki link to term.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-12-2011, 11:24 AM

View Curly54's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
Manufacturers repackage / relabel products all the time to be sold under various names and at various price points, for exactly the same item. I will never cease to be amazed by the stubborn insistence of some that when comparing two items that are quite obviously exactly the same except for packaging, that one is better than the other just because of the name on the sticker... It's Badge Engineering at its utmost. Not the automotive example, but similiar in concept and execution...
You asked for my cheese story now. Worked in a cheese factory as a mech. contractor, well I watched the same cheese go into a can with no label then a few steps down the label was put on, one was the local food store and it sold for .89 per can the other was a famous Italian boxer and it sold for around $3.59. Same cardboard container same cheese different label and price.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-12-2011, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Titebond at HF?

I totally get named brand vs. generic brands. 95% of the time it’s from the same manufacture just labeled differently. My main concern would be if it’s truly the same stuff in the bottle, that it’s the same quality as the stuff labeled as true Titebond.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Probably shouldn't respond.......oh well.And take this from somebody who's favorite clothier is "Goodwill"

Considering the expense glue plays in the overall expenditure,WRT project costs.........and how,even ONE glue failure(usually a freshness isue,but certainly not limited to),can be costly on a variety of fronts....I think we'll stick with the "lable'd" stuff.BW

****And to put an exclamation point on this......and I've got to get back to work........just had a brand name,label'd sander belt...."let go".And that would be RIGHT in the middle of a make-it-break-it finish grind.Caught it in time,but just goes to prove......when you make a living using products,how well they perform is a direct impact on your work.

STUPID,razzinfrazzin...blankety blank,gaul-dang POS.....BW

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.

Last edited by BWSmith; 08-12-2011 at 01:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BWSmith For This Useful Post:
mdntrdr (08-12-2011)
post #11 of 14 Old 08-12-2011, 02:35 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSmith
Probably shouldn't respond.......oh well.And take this from somebody who's favorite clothier is "Goodwill"

Considering the expense glue plays in the overall expenditure,WRT project costs.........and how,even ONE glue failure(usually a freshness isue,but certainly not limited to),can be costly on a variety of fronts....I think we'll stick with the "lable'd" stuff.BW

****And to put an exclamation point on this......and I've got to get back to work........just had a brand name,label'd sander belt...."let go".And that would be RIGHT in the middle of a make-it-break-it finish grind.Caught it in time,but just goes to prove......when you make a living using products,how well they perform is a direct impact on your work.

STUPID,razzinfrazzin...blankety blank,gaul-dang POS.....BW
I'd have to agree with you BW... While I don't shop at goodwill for clothes (although they do call me to buy any tool that comes in) I am pretty cheap!

I don't think the price difference could possibly that much compared to the gallon bottles of TB I buy.

I'll just continue on using what I know works every time...

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
post #12 of 14 Old 08-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
For what it's worth, just shop the sales at Woodcraft. I get my TB2 and TB3 at Woodcraft in gallon bottles, usually with a fairly large discount coupon that they send me in the mail... It's most likely cheaper than buying the bottles of the rebranded TB stuff at HF...

Lay hands on the MSDS, chances are though that they are one and the same. So whatever way you get the better deal... At that price point, I don't guess it matters a lot. A gallon of TB3 isn't terribly expensive...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #13 of 14 Old 08-12-2011, 05:08 PM

View diywoodworker's Photo Album My Photos
This stuff could work for me well. I can use the 20% off coupon to get a smaller bottle fairly cheap. I haven't gotten into woodworking fully yet so I could have lots of time between projects, which could ruin glue. I'd rather have cheaper glue dry out than expensive stuff, especially if it's the same.

--Mike

Check out my blog at www.diywoodworker.com
post #14 of 14 Old 08-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic View Post

I'll just continue on using what I know works every time...
+1. My thoughts too. Because you get a great price on a gallon, I wouldn't buy more than I would use/need in a reasonable length of time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode