Hey Kenbo, Bein a "noob" ( thanx Cody ) here..... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

View Jim West Pa's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Kenbo, Bein a "noob" ( thanx Cody ) here.....

I gather that yer the resident 'expert' when it comes to scroll saws 'nat.
I have a question 'bout blades.Is it important, and is there such a thing as better quality blades ?
If so. Is there a certain brand of blade that you can recommend ?
I spose i should say this, that i do not by any means have what i think is a quality saw. It's a small Delta 16" that's probably 15-20 years old with the only 'features' bein a two speed and a quick dissconnect for changin blades.
So, maybe spendin money on quality blades aint worth it ?
Thanx ahead for your input on this subject.

OH yeah, also.. I'm aware that there are many different types of blades meant for many different applications.Can you recommend maybe a book or an online chart that describes for a "noob" ( thanx Cody )the uses for the different styles ?

Thot i'd share this with while on the subject. I think i got this out o' the trash somewheres a long time ago but check out how cool it is for this use.I jist need to find some more glass tubes. It has a clear plastic lid that sets plenty high enough to accomodate all that i have in it. ( Mmm..maybe this should be posted in Tips and Tricks ? )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 015.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	27967  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 11:14 AM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
Good grief, I was thinking those were huge blades and wondering how you fit them in your saw. Then I realized that is a pencil broken in half in the box and a tape measure in the background. Perspective and reference sizes are wonderful things.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Hahahahaha, one jist never knows Frank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankp View Post
Good grief, I was thinking those were huge blades and wondering how you fit them in your saw. Then I realized that is a pencil broken in half in the box and a tape measure in the background. Perspective and reference sizes are wonderful things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 09:55 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Ask, and ye shall receive

Where to start on this one. There are many different types of blades and many manufacturers and many different qualities. Does the quality of blade matter? Of course it does. A crap blade on a table saw will yield crap results. There are many folks out there that are fans of Flying Dutchman blades and while I will say that they are a nice quality blades, for my buck, I will recomment Olson blades. As far as whether to use skip tooth, double tooth etc, I would recommend a reverse tooth blades. This type of blade cuts on the down and up stroke, minimizing tear out at the back of the cutting. A triple ground, or precision ground blade will also yield a cleaner edge cut. In fact, using one of these precision ground blades will practically polish a hard wood while cutting it.
As far as some kind of chart.
Try this.
blade usage.pdf

Did my response help, because I kind of confused myself.
Let me know if I didn't answer your questions.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"

Last edited by Kenbo; 08-23-2011 at 09:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenbo For This Useful Post:
bikeshooter (10-09-2011)
post #5 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Hahahaha, yep, you sure did answer me annnnnd..i must be psychic.
A few days ago i was in my wood workin store and on a whim, well, actualy it was all he had. I bot these

Thank you Kenbo, your response is very helpfull and answers all questions i had. I will print the chart and keep it in my shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo View Post
Where to start on this one. There are many different types of blades and many manufacturers and many different qualities. Does the quality of blade matter? Of course it does. A crap blade on a table saw will yield crap results. There are many folks out there that are fans of Flying Dutchman blades and while I will say that they are a nice quality blades, for my buck, I will recomment Olson blades. As far as whether to use skip tooth, double tooth etc, I would recommend a reverse tooth blades. This type of blade cuts on the down and up stroke, minimizing tear out at the back of the cutting. A triple ground, or precision ground blade will also yield a cleaner edge cut. In fact, using one of these precision ground blades will practically polish a hard wood while cutting it.
As far as some kind of chart.
Try this.
Attachment 28001

Did my response help, because I kind of confused myself.
Let me know if I didn't answer your questions.
Attached Images

post #6 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 11:19 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Glad I could help

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode