Help with Wood Projects for 7yr olds - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

View Mose's Photo Album My Photos
Help with Wood Projects for 7yr olds

My daughter wants to have an arts and crafts birthday party and really wants to work in my shop with her little friends. I think they primarily want to hammer, who can blame them. It's an afternoon party so long glue ups won't work, and they are a tad young to turn their own swords and magic wands.

I was thinking about putting together some kits for them to assemble, it will be mostly girls and a couple fellas. Maybe a total of 7 or 8 kids.

The standard bird house is an option, then they could paint it. Maybe a picture frame that with dado ends that they can drill a hole through the four corners and then tie together with twine at the corners.

I'm just brainstorming here, any ideas? Thanks in advance.

(as far as kit assembly, I'm fully tooled up with the exception of a spindle sander, drum sander and scroll saw, none of which I imagine are necessary for this level of work.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 12:23 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like an interesting party. Good idea.

More suggestions.
a) Rustic coasters. Challenge is you need a limb section which is dry and without too many cracks.

Help with Wood Projects for 7yr olds-rustic_coaster_group.jpg

b) Rustic candle holder. Again needs dry wood and the piece hollowed out / turned for the girls.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f6/tis-but-scrap-44234/

c) Key/coat hanger. You would have to cut out the boards, but then they could paint and screw in the hardware. You would make from single species.

Help with Wood Projects for 7yr olds-hanger_board_joe_w_1-small.jpg

Different style with wooden pegs for the hangers. The top wood buttons are covers for the screw holes.

Help with Wood Projects for 7yr olds-sally_bath_hanger_web.jpg

You could do glue ups, perhaps with hot glue.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Dave,

I had seen your coaster before but missed the candle holder. Those could be nice. I like the key ring holder idea with pegs. I can grab a handful of those or turn some and they can put them together with glue at the beginning. By the end they would be dry enough to take with them. Good Ideas. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 12:31 PM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
My 5 year old loves making bird houses. Cut a bunch of boards to size and start some nails in them. Then you can still use the glue (kids love gluing) and continue without the dry time wait. Let them paint them to however they want. I think you are on the right path with that.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
If you have a bandsaw you could have them draw a picture of something then transfer to a piece of wood then cut them out and make puzzles for them.
They draw, you cut, they put together and paint them.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #6 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
If you have a bandsaw you could have them draw a picture of something then transfer to a piece of wood then cut them out and make puzzles for them.
They draw, you cut, they put together and paint them.

Nice I like that too. However, their "drawings" are sometimes closer to modern art than a decipherable picture. But this dog just might hunt.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 01:08 PM
Bark

View Bait's Photo Album My Photos
Rubber band guns and sling shots from wood, marshmallow guns from pvc tubing .......at least the boys will think they are cool

I married better than my wife did.
One of the countries greatest mistakes was schools cutting shop classes due to budget issues.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 01:16 PM

Location: whitby, ON aka largest and most inconsiderate province
View akko's Photo Album My Photos
picture frame?
post #9 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
I'm sure safety is foremost in your mind, so please don't take offense to what I am about to say because I am NOT trying to imply in any way that I think you are being "fast and loose" with the safety of the kids.

It is just that, since there will probably be more kids than adults, I still would worry a little about a little one using a machine unsupervised and getting her hair or scarf caught in a spinning drill or something. One precaution might be to unplug everything they should not turn on or might hurt themselves on.

Since they probably want to hammer, how about assembling something that involves nailing things together and then painting them? Maybe a little stool or table or something?
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Curl For This Useful Post:
Mose (01-21-2013)
post #10 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 01:31 PM

View CPNMike's Photo Album My Photos
I made a very simple candle holder with my 6 year old great niece out of MDF. We routed a fancy edge on it and drilled holes for the candles. Afterwards, she painted her own cool design on it for her parents. So it was basically it was a 2 part project, the making and the painting.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-22-2013, 02:24 AM

View Jo D's Photo Album My Photos
Smile Woodworking projects for kids

Lowes has woodworking kits for children that are great and very easy to put together. I have bought them for my grandchildren and they love them. I just spent this past weekend with my 7 year old granddaughter and she made a bird house and a heart shaped jewelry box. She loved doing them and they turned out great. The kits come with very easy to follow instructions, and the nails and all nail holes are predrilled so it makes it much easier for them to pound the nails into the wood. These kits are very inexpensive and the kids just love building them with your guidance .

JoAnn
post #12 of 19 Old 01-22-2013, 07:26 AM

View mn pete's Photo Album My Photos
We did a Home Depot birthday for my son's sixth birthday. All the kids built the bird-house kits. It was all free. I think you can order the kits though too. Everything was pre-cut and all of the nail holes were pre-marked. We did use some glue for assembly, and then everyone painted them. It was pretty fun.

Pete
Follow my woodworking adventures...
http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/
post #13 of 19 Old 01-22-2013, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great ideas. My wife really liked the key holder, which would work well for the little girls to hang necklaces.

I'm leaning toward the bird houses myself. I didn't think you could buy the kits from the box stores and was going to build them myself. But I'll run by there today and see what I can do about not reinventing the wheel.

On Safety, the intent was not to have any kid work any machine. Maybe a drill press with adult hands on just so they could say the did. But unplugging everything else as an extra level of protection against wondering fingers is a good idea.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mose View Post
Thanks for the great ideas. My wife really liked the key holder, which would work well for the little girls to hang necklaces.
I had not thought about using these for necklaces. Good idea.

If you do use this project, I got the hangers from Lee Valley.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Hardware...914,50426&ap=2
post #15 of 19 Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Blind and Insane

View Max_Power's Photo Album My Photos
This Christmas, my son (almost 7) made a birdhouse for his grandmother and a toolbox for his grandfather. I pre cut all the parts and drilled the nail holes. I cut a scrap of 1/4" plywood and drilled a small hole in it. Put the nail through the hole and the kiddos can pound away without damaging the project.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-22-2013, 09:46 PM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
Just had some cubscouts in my shop last week. They're building bird houses and will finish them this week. Simple houses with one slanted roof. We clamped them under straight edge boards they used as saw guides. It took them time to cut - that's why they're coming back. When they assemble their houses, we adults will pre-drill the nail holes. 7 and 8 year old kids need that set-up, that's why the kits have them pre-drilled.

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-23-2013, 12:05 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
My youngest daughter/fishing buddy made this for me when she was a Brownie. I think you can come up with more than just a plain piece of wood. One of my cherished possessions hanging by the shop door. They used some ink stamps and some personal decoration. She isn't a Brownie anymore.
Attached Images

post #18 of 19 Old 01-23-2013, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

I picked up some bird house kits from Lowes last night. I also grabbed two race cars for the two boys coming. The plan is to now have a few stations of art/craft projects for them to complete.

I have a few painted random boards with random nails sticking out all over the place, they are often called boats and planes, and they are hanging all over the shop walls. My helpers are 7, 5, and 3, and if I play my cards right they'll be fishing with me at that age too.

Thanks again for the great ideas. I'll try and get some pics of the completed masterpieces.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-23-2013, 05:09 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
Kind of the wrong time of year, but. . . .
I bought a bunch of cut-out snowflakes, maybe 3/16" birch plywood.
Bought a bunch of craft paints and brushes. Told all the 30-somethings that they had to make Christmas tree ornaments. Did I ever grab their attention! Very, very intense and busy afternoon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode