Help with wood paint - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 06-07-2015, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

View deadfrog666's Photo Album My Photos
Help with wood paint

I paint this wood and this is what happen. Can any one help Help with wood paint-imageuploadedbytapatalk1433670687.024930.jpgHelp with wood paint-imageuploadedbytapatalk1433670696.515059.jpgHelp with wood paint-imageuploadedbytapatalk1433670706.193571.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-07-2015, 07:21 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It's fisheye. The wood was somehow contaminated with a wax or silicone. The fix would be to sand it smooth and put another coat on with the paint being treated with a couple drops of Smoothie or an equivalent. Smoothie or some other fisheye control solvent can be obtained from a store that sells automotive paint. Another option would be to sand it smooth and repaint it in very thin coats until you get it covered.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-07-2015, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-07-2015, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Next time I buy wood how will I know if it's contaminated. And how should I paint the wood next time
post #5 of 9 Old 06-07-2015, 08:11 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadfrog666 View Post
Next time I buy wood how will I know if it's contaminated. And how should I paint the wood next time
me i would figure it's contaminated and wipe down with solvent , than if their is some wood left over paint that and see how that comes out, not on the finish product
post #6 of 9 Old 06-07-2015, 08:41 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadfrog666 View Post
There is no way to see it to tell if it's contaminated. The most common culprit is silicone. I worked for a company one time that was using silicone spray lubricant on their saw tops like a person would use paste wax. The silicone was getting on the wood from the saws and giving the painter heck. Maybe the lumber company or the saw mill used silicone on or around the wood and the overspray got on the wood. Anyway in more than 40 years of woodworking I've never gotten a board that was contaminated so what you have is not likely to happen again. Most of the time when you encounter fisheye it is when you are refinishing an old piece of furniture. Furniture polish like Pledge contains silicone and it goes through the finish and gets into the wood. You can wash the furniture down with a wax and grease remover, then chemically strip the furniture, sand it and the silicone will still be there. It's funny though the cure is to add silicone to the paint. That is what products like smoothie are made out of.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-07-2015, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

I think I clean down the timber with white spirit ever time when I done a product. So the paint has a clean wood to go on
post #8 of 9 Old 06-07-2015, 03:57 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
If its a paint it should have had primer. If not the wood should have been sealed.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-07-2015, 06:51 PM

View HowardAcheson's Photo Album My Photos
What was your surface preparation steps. What species of wood is it? Is it virgin wood or did it have a prior finish on it? If it was previously finished, what was the finish? How did you remove any existing finish?

What was the finish you applied?

Howie..........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode