Help with walnut slab bench - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 35015

post #1 of 7 Old 03-04-2018, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

View vtelvr's Photo Album My Photos
Help with walnut slab bench

Hello folks. I have been able to get my hands on a rather large piece of walnut that was live edge slabbed. The slab is just short of 6' long, and varies between 1-1/2" and 1-3/4" thick. I am hoping to make this slab into a bench for our farm table. The slab has a bit of a twist to it, and sitting on a flat surface, two opposing corners are in the air. I have access to a time saver drum sander, but I do not want to lose that much thickness to get it flat if I can help it.

Any ideas how to get at least one side flattened enough to attach the legs and the bench won't wobble?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-04-2018, 07:24 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You will at least have to take 1/4" thickness off it you use the drum sander. Depending on the width of the board and the equipment you have you might flatten it on a jointer and then surface it. It could also be flattened with a router sled. You could also grind it flat with a hand held belt sander.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-04-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

I am wondering if I could flatten just the bottom side via joiner/sander and let the top be what it is. That was my initial thought, but decided against it once I was able to measure and see that i would lose LOTS of material doing so. The biggest concern I have is making it too thin and it being flimsy with a couple of people on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-04-2018, 09:41 PM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtelvr View Post
I am wondering if I could flatten just the bottom side via joiner/sander and let the top be what it is. That was my initial thought, but decided against it once I was able to measure and see that i would lose LOTS of material doing so. The biggest concern I have is making it too thin and it being flimsy with a couple of people on it.
This is a tough one...in most methods you are going to loose material...perhaps quite a bit of material at that if the "wind" in the plank is acute.

Possibly employing traditional line/scribe layout and joinery methods to create the bench could effectively create a very nice traditional folk style piece. This is mainly hand tool work and still will render a bench that has (perhaps?) some wind in the top, but will still be comfortable for setting...

I can expand this if interested...??

Regards,

j
The Following User Says Thank You to 35015 For This Useful Post:
Tennessee Tim (03-08-2018)
post #5 of 7 Old 03-08-2018, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

I would love to say "ok, thanks" and in a few days show you guys a perfectly finished piece, but I do not have the knowledge nor have the tools to complete the bench this way. I am thinking of selling the slabs, and starting over with lumber from the hardwood supplier that I work for. That way, I am working with mostly straight lined and surfaced lumber. Haven't settled on that solution just yet.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-08-2018, 09:20 PM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtelvr View Post
I would love to say "ok, thanks" and in a few days show you guys a perfectly finished piece, but I do not have the knowledge nor have the tools to complete the bench this way. I am thinking of selling the slabs, and starting over with lumber from the hardwood supplier that I work for. That way, I am working with mostly straight lined and surfaced lumber. Haven't settled on that solution just yet.
It's not as difficult or as intimidating as you may think...Remember, much of our way's of life at one time was done well with much less than what we as woodworkers have at our disposal today...

Good Luck...with whatever your decision finally is...

j
Tennessee Tim likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to 35015 For This Useful Post:
Tennessee Tim (03-08-2018)
post #7 of 7 Old 03-08-2018, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode