Help with slanted legs please - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 08-06-2014, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

View Joshuakeelin's Photo Album My Photos
Help with slanted legs please

I am building a cornhole (bean bag toss) set. I am using 2x4's for the frame and rear legs, and chipboard for the surface. Anyone who plays, and plays a lot knows that with most sets you have to constantly adjust the legs, the impact of the bags hitting the board moves the board back and makes the legs start to fold into the board. I have attached this rough sketch I made in paint to show what I am after. The different colors are just used to symbolize the different pieces. The gray on top is the chip board, the two blue pieces on the end are the ends of the 2x4's that make the 2' ends of the frame. The frame dimensions are 2'X4'. The green piece is one of the legs... This is where I am having trouble... I want to adhere it with a carriage bolt, the black dot, and have it be able to swivel out and back in to be hidden for transportation/storage reasons. That is why I have the corners angled, to allow the 2x4 to pivot at the carriage bolt. But when it is out, and the game is in use, I want the blue 2x4 from the frame to rest on the leg, and have the top of the playing surface be at 12". I am not sure how to calculate the length of the leg, or the angle of the cut at the foot of the leg to rest flat on a presumable flat surface.... The angles in the image are not correct, obviously, because the front of the board needs to rest on the ground, while the top of the rear of the board is 12" high. So imagine, if you will, that the front end is sloped down...

Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Joshuakeelin; 08-06-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-06-2014, 04:35 PM

View PhilBa's Photo Album My Photos
The length of the leg is mainly important for being able to fold inside the bottom of the game. I'd just experiment with it. Cut legs that will fit inside and attach them. Then, set the game up on two saw horses so that each saw horse is next to a leg. The top of the saw horses will be your artifical floor. With the legs extended, lift the rear up to 12" and scribe the legs where the top of the saw horses are. That's your cut line.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode