Help removing old paint - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 06-20-2017, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

View dws780's Photo Album My Photos
Help removing old paint

I have tried paint thinner, paint stripper and orbital sander 80g nothing works.
Any recommendation?

Help removing old paint-img_1228.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-20-2017, 10:39 AM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
I haven't done any stripping in years. When I was a teen, maybe 40+ years ago, I worked part time for a slum lord and he had several lead paint removal jobs that I got involved with in his apartment buildings. The only thing I remember is you really need to let the stripper work. It needs to remove the layer of paint completely, really bubbled, before you start scraping. It is a long and tedious job. Not fun. Good Luck.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-20-2017, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

So I guess apply paint stripper as many time as possible to let it strip layer by layer? I'm sure this door have many many layers on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-20-2017, 11:55 AM

View jamie296's Photo Album My Photos
I have done a few doors of that sort a few times. I stripped one and made a headboard out of it. It's a long process with some good stripper and then follow up with sandpaper but only after you can begin to see the wood beneath.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
post #5 of 18 Old 06-20-2017, 12:32 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dws780 View Post
So I guess apply paint stripper as many time as possible to let it strip layer by layer? I'm sure this door have many many layers on it.

Look for a product called Stripeeze, not sure about the spelling, but it is pretty close it will do a much better job then a lot of the "ecofriendly" strippers

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...words=stripeze
post #6 of 18 Old 06-20-2017, 12:33 PM

You can find it in the big boxes, the last gallon I got was about $22
post #7 of 18 Old 06-20-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
Look for a product called Stripeeze, not sure about the spelling, but it is pretty close it will do a much better job then a lot of the "ecofriendly" strippers

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...words=stripeze

The review seems mixed.

This is the type you said wont work as well ?

Citri-Strip QCG73801T Paint and Varnish Stripping Gel, 1-Quart https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QFCP1G..._DnuszbPVH7FA1
post #8 of 18 Old 06-20-2017, 01:30 PM

View TXT1's Photo Album My Photos
The material and/or methods you use will largely depend upon the type of paint you're looking to remove. Given the photo I'm assuming it is latex/acrylic over old oil base paint. Heat strippers work well on old oils, you just have to be very careful about holding them on too long and actually burning or charring the wood below -- not a good idea if you plan on staining this as part of the refinish. For acrylics and latex go with the chemical stripper mentioned above. I have used this material with very good results. However, because this is a very strong alkali you should follow up with a mild acid wash -- 2-3 oz. white vinegar in 1 gal. water. This wash will raise the grain some but that's really to your advantage since you will want to do some finish sanding before you prime or stain the door. Having good, sharp paint scrapers will make the job that much easier, and at least one should be carbide. BTW - when using the chemical stripper work in a WELL ventilated area, wear your respirator, and invest in some good rubber hazmat gloves. This stuff is nasty if it gets on your skin especially if exposed to direct sun.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-20-2017, 01:37 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Paint can be terrible to get off especially if you use some kind of environmentally friendly remover. Your best bet would be to remove the door and lay it horizontal on saw horses. Then brush on a liberal amount of a flammable type remover and let is sit for 20 to 30 minutes re-applying remover to places that appear to dry out. It also helps to use a brass brush on detal areas you can't scrape. When you think it's ready test a spot and see how much paint comes off. Keep in mind paint very nearly strips one layer at a time so if it had 10 coats of paint on it you might have to strip it six or eight times to get it all off. When you think it's ready, as quickly as possible scrape off the paint with a putty knife or broad knife and rinse off with lacquer thinner. If you have a power washer you can turn the pressure down to about 1200 psi that works real good to get the residue off. You need to work fast because once you start scraping the old paint and residue will be trying to dry back on. You might consider just doing half of one side of the door at a time so you can work it faster.

Stripping wood is a very nasty business. If you have a furniture refinishing shop in your area you might ask them what it would cost to have it stripped for you. Just don't let them dip the door. Most refinishers use a flow over system which is a 4'x8' tank with a drain on one end. The system has a pump that pumps a more liquid remover through a hose to a scrub brush. They can keep going doing both sides of the door until the paint is gone and then rinse it.

The problem with dipping wood is the solution is sodium hydroxide which is a salt and it soaks pretty deep into the wood and stays there. Then you have trouble from then on with the salt rusting any hardware other than brass you put on the door. Then if you put a finish on the wood in damp weather the sodium hydroxide is trying to remove the new paint you put on the door.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-20-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
The review seems mixed.

This is the type you said wont work as well ?

Citri-Strip QCG73801T Paint and Varnish Stripping Gel, 1-Quart https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QFCP1G..._DnuszbPVH7FA1
Our son was stripping a cabinet, and he asked what I thought was the good stuff, I told him Stripeeze, and he bought what you posted (He never has listened to me LOL) he had to use about 10 coats to get rid on the old paint, I was in a store and picked up some of the Stripeeze, and it took the remainder off it one coat

But I have had to do 2-3 coats on some stuff that had multiple layers of paint
post #11 of 18 Old 06-20-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

That's sounds bad probably better off getting a new door. Lol

post #12 of 18 Old 06-20-2017, 06:16 PM

If you have some tools you might consider making a door to match it. A table saw, planer, drill and a doweling jig and a sander would do it. A dado set would help but not necessary. As best as I can tell looking at the picture I think it's a 1 3/8" thick door. You could make the door out of 2x6 whitewood from your local board store and surface it to 1 3/8". The panels could just be flat without the raised panel design. Plywood could be used. You just make a frame and tongue and groove the joints and use some small trim around the glass and panels. Even though the joints might be tongued and grooved there is so much weight on a door like that 1/2" dowels are necessary between the rails and stiles.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-20-2017, 11:25 PM

View Wil_Bloodworth's Photo Album My Photos
How about sand blasting it?

Great Success REQUIRES Great Effort
post #14 of 18 Old 06-21-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil_Bloodworth View Post
How about sand blasting it?
Sandblasting wood comes out terrible. It eats away the soft grain and leaves ridges where the hard grain is.
post #15 of 18 Old 06-27-2017, 08:22 PM

View pokerlizard's Photo Album My Photos
Each layer of paint (and there are probably many) requires a new coat of stripper. it only removes one at a time. Try SoyGel by BlueBear (Amazon) I've used this on everything and it's great. non toxic and cleans up w/water. It must sit for 30-60 mins before you start to scrape. once that coat comes up, put on another layer and let it sit and work. repeat until you get to bare wood.
post #16 of 18 Old 06-27-2017, 10:04 PM

View RogerInColorado's Photo Album My Photos
Blue Bear Soy Gel stripper is awesome. It will remove multiple layers and you can rinse with water, not thinner or mineral spirits. It doesn't stink and I didn't even have to wear a hazmat suit.

https://www.amazon.com/Franmar-Paint.../dp/B0002Z11MY

You can get it at Woodcraft and at Rockler or probably a boatload of other places.
post #17 of 18 Old 06-28-2017, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Wow the review and pictures on Amazon looks promising. It's a little pricey but worth a try

post #18 of 18 Old 06-29-2017, 07:48 AM

View hessequa's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I have tried paint thinner, paint stripper and orbital sander 80g nothing works.
Any recommendation?

Attachment 300682
Hi,

Go to your nearest hardware store and purchase a HOT AIR GUN. Just take a putty knife, heat the paint where you want to strip and follow with the knife. I do that every day and there is nothing easier! Just be careful not to burn the wood.

Best of luck
James

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode