3Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 10 Old 04-12-2017, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

View Vibeka's Photo Album My Photos
Help, please!

Hi all,

Hoping you can help me. I just stained two pine end tables with an alcohol-based stain, and unfortunately, it's become a really dark orange. I need to lighten it a couple of shades. I have been scouring the web and reading the pros and cons for everything from bleaching, scrubbing, using a lighter color toner, and of course, stripping and starting over (which I would really prefer not to at this point). Given that it's an alcohol and not oil or water-based stain, not sure what would actually work. Would greatly appreciate any/all suggestions.

Thanks.
Vibeka
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-12-2017, 10:12 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
First try washing it with alcohol. It would been better had it been done immediately but won't hurt to try.

Can you post a picture? If the color is too orange you might use a very thin blue dye to neutralize the color. What you need to do is practice the color on scrap wood.
Vibeka likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-13-2017, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Here you go, Steve. Thanks!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-13-2017, 07:00 AM

I think as orange as that is you better use paint and varnish remover and then sand it again. Then use a different color stain. You might stain a piece of scrap wood orange like that and test the new color on the scrap before you commit to the project.
Vibeka likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-13-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I think as orange as that is you better use paint and varnish remover and then sand it again. Then use a different color stain. You might stain a piece of scrap wood orange like that and test the new color on the scrap before you commit to the project.
Thanks.

So there is no way to lighten the stain without having to start from scratch? Is your earlier suggestion of an alcohol wash worth a try? Bright orange stains are hard to come by; I found this Spirit Stain (see photo) online. Looked like what I wanted, but the color sunk in very (too) quickly. My concern is that given that it's alcohol based, I'm not sure I will be able to remove it with a stripping solution.

Do you know of an orange stain that is more opaque? I just used a Varathane Carbon Gray on our coffee table (our room is a gray/orange combo), and that is more of a paint stain. Sorry for all the questions. I am new to the DIY world.

Thanks again for your time.
Vibeka
Attached Images

post #6 of 10 Old 04-13-2017, 02:11 PM

View RogerC's Photo Album My Photos
I would try wiping it down with denatured alcohol to see how it behaves. You could even try scrubbing with 0000 steel wool and denatured alcohol. The problem I foresee is streaking, though.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-13-2017, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerC View Post
I would try wiping it down with denatured alcohol to see how it behaves. You could even try scrubbing with 0000 steel wool and denatured alcohol. The problem I foresee is streaking, though.
Thanks, Roger. I will give it a shot.

Vibeka
post #8 of 10 Old 04-13-2017, 08:43 PM

Nothing, including the stripper will remove all of it. The stripper will just remove more.

Not knowing the desired look it's difficult to say just how much needs to come off. If it's basically the right color but got a little too dark washing it with alcohol might work. In any case when you go back with stain you could add more thinner to the dye you are using and it shouldn't go as dark.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-13-2017, 09:32 PM
Got Sawdust?

View Cowpokey's Photo Album My Photos
I'm a little late to the party, but this is a prime example of why scrap should always be used as a test piece before putting a stain, finish or both on anything.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra
post #10 of 10 Old 04-13-2017, 09:42 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Part chemistry, part science, part astrology ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpokey View Post
I'm a little late to the party, but this is a prime example of why scrap should always be used as a test piece before putting a stain, finish or both on anything.
Folks come here on a regular basis ..."I screwed up my finish....what do I do now?" It's what they should always do BEFORE is the answer....practice on scrap!

Between pigment stains, water stains, oil stains, dyes and Lord knows what ever else, Hows You Gonna Know What it Gonna Turn Out Like?
I would think that an alcohol stain is like a dye and nothin' is gonna take it out. You can only use a stain/dye over it to darken it or change the color. JMO.
Cowpokey likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode