Help! Need Chair Arm Spindles - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-11-2009, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Help! Need Chair Arm Spindles

I am making a chair for one of my granddaughters. I need 4 spindles that go between the arms and the seat.

The problem is that I cannot find the size that I need. I need spindles that are 5 3/4" from the end of the turning to the end of the turning. NOT including tenon length. I can find this size including tenon length. I want these to be in oak as the rest of the chair is oak.

I have two alternatives if I cannot find what I want. I can either lower the arm by about 3/4" and use the spindles that I find or I can just use dowels. I prefer not to do either. I found a place that will make custom for $10.00 plus shipping. I just do not think it is worth that.

I have bought some oversize spindles with the thought that I might be able to modify them. However, as I am not a turner I find the job not possible.

By the way, I found that a 4 1/2" grinder with a 40 grit followed by an 80 grit sandpaper DISK is great for making the round indention in the seat bottom. However, there is no dust collection system in the world that will collect the dust from this operation. DO IT IN THE OPEN!

All leads appreciated.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
You gave us the length, but no other info. So can't do a search for ya. But, here's a cool suggestion. Go get a lathe. Turning isn't all that difficult, even I can do it.

Once upon a time I bid a job that included spindles in an office window opening. Well, I had no lathe and never did any turning 'cept lookin' at chicks. I ran across a cheap imported lathe that was a floor sample for $65. I thought...such a deal.

Well, I did screw up a few, but actually it went very well. They didn't turn out perfect, but good enough to get a check. The lathe only came with a spur bit. Since then, I've made galley rail spindles, and balusters on several staircase installations. Oh, almost forgot...also made a miniature oak knob to match existing knobs on one of those old Singer sewing machine cabinets. So, it may open up a new world of woodworking for you. You might even enjoy it.

post #3 of 8 Old 01-12-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

The diameter does not really matter as long as it is in proportion. I can drill the spindle holes 1//4", 5/16" 3/8" or whatever. Probably the diameter of the widest part of the spindle should not be over 3/4" or it would be out of proportion.

The attendent at the Eglin AFB hobby shop offered to teach me turning. They have lathes there. I had to go there for most of the cutting for the chair parts because I do not have a band saw at home and no room left to store one. I just do not have the time nor inclination at this point to get into turning.

Thanks for the idea though.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-12-2009, 05:05 PM

View gharvey's Photo Album My Photos
Do you have a woodworking club near you? If so, you might want to contact them. There are usually some turners who would do this just for the practice and fun of it and probably not charge if you supplied the wood. I know our group in Rochester Woodworkers Society do this quite a bit. If you have a local Woodcraft store, they might give you some leads too.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-12-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharvey View Post
Do you have a woodworking club near you? If so, you might want to contact them. There are usually some turners who would do this just for the practice and fun of it and probably not charge if you supplied the wood. I know our group in Rochester Woodworkers Society do this quite a bit. If you have a local Woodcraft store, they might give you some leads too.
Sounds like a good idea. How would I go about find a wood working club? They are not in the yellow pages. Too small an area to have any places that sell wood working merchandise other than sears and the big box stores.

George
post #6 of 8 Old 01-12-2009, 09:17 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
George,
Do you have a drawing of what you want? If you are only talking four spindles less than 6", it sounds like no big deal. I would turn them for you if you have a drawing. I have some oak pieces parts lying around the shop I could use, just pay for the shipping, or send me a few oranges or something.
Mike Hawkins
post #7 of 8 Old 01-13-2009, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Mike, many thanks for the offer. I am going to be pretty much out of pocket for a few days. Will get back to ypu this weekend.

George
post #8 of 8 Old 01-20-2009, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Hi Mike, I am back.

Thanks for the offer but while in Tampa last week I found some spindles that I can make work.

Very much appreciate the offer.

George

Tags
do it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode