Help me with stain techniques for this? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 11-29-2012, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
RDK

View RDK's Photo Album My Photos
Help me with stain techniques for this?

I have a box that I would like to stain. I have a custom color min wax stain that I want a majority to be colored with, however I want the edges to be black. Kind of like this picture that I attached except ill be using a blue stain with the black corners. How do I make this happen? Also I haven't bought the black stain yet, should I just go with same brand or can I use some black dye that I have?

Name:  image-2999550835.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  35.7 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-29-2012, 08:41 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If it were me I would stain the box first and let it dry. Then use a black paint compatible with the topcoat finish and airbrush the black around the edge and clearcoat it. You could do the same thing with a dyestain but might take multiple coats to get the color you want. If you were going to use mixwax ebony then I would spray it first and let it dry and then use your custom color in the center. The stain bleeds outward quite a bit so don't go too far with the black. You don't have to have an actual airbrush. You can choke a paint sprayer down to where it barely sprays to do this.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-29-2012, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
RDK

View RDK's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul
If it were me I would stain the box first and let it dry. Then use a black paint compatible with the topcoat finish and airbrush the black around the edge and clearcoat it. You could do the same thing with a dyestain but might take multiple coats to get the color you want. If you were going to use mixwax ebony then I would spray it first and let it dry and then use your custom color in the center. The stain bleeds outward quite a bit so don't go too far with the black. You don't have to have an actual airbrush. You can choke a paint sprayer down to where it barely sprays to do this.
Is there a way to apply this by hand? I'm not spray equip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDK View Post
Is there a way to apply this by hand? I'm not spray equip.
I couldn't give you advice on doing it by hand. I've never done it that way and believe you would have a difficult time making the black not have a hard line making the transition. Spraying it lets the black feather out from dark to light. You might try on scraps wiping the stain full strength around the edge and then take thinner and try to wipe it over on the stained area. What ever you do work out how you finish the box on scrap wood before putting anything on the box. Personally I think it would be easier to use rattle can paint but rattle can paint doesn't atomize very well. If I get the chance today I will give it a try.

OK I tried it two different ways by hand today. The first I tried two different brands of rattle can paint and it looked really bad. The paint didn't atomize good enough so it looked more like flyspec than a mist. The second way worked farely well. I stained the wood first and then using an oil based enamel I brushed the black edge with a full coat of paint about 25% of the area I wanted black with a soft natural brush. Then I cleaned and dried the brush and dry brushed the edge spreading it out until the black was very thin against the stained wood. Then the outer edge was too light so I brushed another coat on the very edge again and worked it more toward the middle of the black area. It would have been easier and better to airbrush it but it was doable brushing it.

Last edited by Steve Neul; 11-29-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode