Help me change screened in porch to glassed in? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 12-17-2008, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

View pcampbell's Photo Album My Photos
Help me change screened in porch to glassed in?

I have a screened in porch that is made with modular panels that are made from wood that is simply held together via brackets. These might even be cheap, old wooden screen doors without knobs/handles.

The screens are pushed against quarter round that goes all across the top, and sides on the inside of the porch, and on the outside it is simply held in by little turny things (pic).

I would love to upgrade this to a glassed in porch made with tempered glass held in by wood.

The existing panels outer dimensions are 84.75 tall x 24.25 wide x 1" thick, however the thickness could easily be adjusted by moving the inside quarter round. The posts are 3.75 squares. So thickness of my new panels could be adjusted as necessary. I would like to make the new panels semi permanent, such as screwing or nailing them in, and filling in all cracks so it is mostly air tight.

I am very very new to working with wood, but have access to mitre saw, table saw and finishing gun. However I need instruction as to how to even begin, or a book that would help with this specific task?

Material of wood? I have no idea!
Thickness of glass... 1/4, 3/16, or 1/8? no clue!
How to secure the glass to the wood? No idea! What comes to mind to me, is building a simple wood border with 45 degree mitred cut wood around the entire piece of glass and putting a small notch in the center of the wood for the glass to fit into. Then put moulding against glass on both sides?

Some sort of bottom since I do not think we want the ENTIRE thing to be glass.

Should I make at least 2 separate sections of glass so that no single piece of glass is too large?

My wife would like many small "panes" on the glass portion (like a cris cross pattern), but it would seem to me this might be well beyond the capability of a beginner?

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Thanks so much.
Attached Images

Last edited by pcampbell; 12-17-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-17-2008, 04:20 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
What is the structure of the current porch? You say the posts are 3.75" square. Are these posts the roof support? Is the roof structure part of the house or what? Is this a home made add on or professional. The reason I ask these questions is to get an idea of what type materials you will be working with.

Do you really want your new windows to be permanent?

I would think that you would want to be able to get some ventilation. Or are you going to air condition this area?

If you can please provide a wider view photograph. What are the dimensions of the area you want to glass in?

G
post #3 of 12 Old 12-17-2008, 04:43 PM

View bradnailer's Photo Album My Photos
If it were me, I would make it an all season porch by using double pane standard sized windows available at home centers. They are decent quality and not terribly expensive. Providing that the existing posts are structurally sound, you can frame out around those to fit the windows I've suggested. They all have nailing flanges which would screw into the framing you create. You can then trim out the windows using any exterior grade trim, like hardi trim and finish the exterior with hardi plank or exterior grade bead board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-17-2008, 09:26 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
One other variation of what Brad said. We used to build porches a while back and when someone wanted a screened in porch, I would ask them what they wanted to really use the room for. Normally we would end up putting triple track storm windows in, on top of a knee wall that was aprox. 24" tall. That way you could run electric in the wall, insulate, finish the inside off with wood, T1-11, vertical vinyl siding, etc. It turned the room into a three season room and made it water tight. If you want to go a step further, then use real windows like Brad said, and turn it into an all year room. Just make sure there is something solid underneath in the way of a foundation so everything stays put.
Mike Hawkins
post #5 of 12 Old 12-18-2008, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies.

I think in reality, that it will mainly be used as a mud room of sorts. We live on a busy street, and it is fairly noisy and not very private.

My idea was to glass in the sides, but also obtain door that has the lock in glass with screen, so that when it is, say for example late Fall or Early Spring we could sit out there without the glass to get some air coming in. Otherwise when it is warmer we are out back.

We already do have electric on the porch and I could very easily plumb in a cheap gas heater or electric baseboard. The gas being cheaper to use and operate and probably more effective but I am not a big fan of non vented heaters.

The screened in porch is our main entry to the house and is from what I can tell one large solid concrete slab. I think, but am not sure that the roof above it is in some way supported by the posts, but there is nothing above that roof in terms of attic space or anything of that nature.

Here is another picture from the street level

http://xj.cdevco.net/temp/house.jpg

The dimensions are 90" (7.5 ft) x 139" (11.58 ft).

Last edited by pcampbell; 12-18-2008 at 09:14 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-18-2008, 10:02 AM

View bradnailer's Photo Album My Photos
Looking at the photo of your house, I'd reconfigure the support posts to where I could frame in four windows across the front maybe 32" wide by 72" tall and on the knee wall and around the windows use the siding that matches your house. I just looked at Lowes.com and an insulated glass white aluminum internal divided light window that dimension is $100. These windows look like the ones in the room above the garage.

Nice looking place!
post #7 of 12 Old 12-18-2008, 10:41 AM

View daryl in nanoose's Photo Album My Photos
As far as thickness goes it really depends on your climate in the winter and just how energy effeint you want it.
This is a system I have used alot over the years mainly for garden houses or gazebos and will work with amy glass unit you put in weather its just single pane tempered glass ( 1/8" min) or window units (double glazed) that you screw in from the sides that have no nail flange.
Take the width of you post subtract thickness of glass amd a extra 1/2" and /2 = trim piece width. This gives you a reveal of 1/4" on both sides of the post for looks. First you run a bead of clear acylic caulk on the back side of your trim pieces to help seal out air and attach to post keeping that 1/4" reveal, next run a bead of silicon on the inside edge being carefull not to put to much and have it all osse out and make a mess then press the glass in place and then attach the outside trim the same way as the inside trim. Then run a bead of clear acylic caulk along the edge of the glass where it meats the trim piece and wipe clean. I would also run a bead of clear acylic caulk a long the edge of the trin piece where it meats the post.
A knee wall is a real good idea here, it will alow you to make the panels a little smaller and not to mention a nice straight bottom.
When ordering glass undersize it 1/4" height and 1/2" sides, this will give you a 1/4" gap at the top and 1/4" gap on 2 sides for movement.
You can get mullins form the home center that you just cut to size to get that multi panel look or you can use Pin striping to at least give you the apperence of multi glass panels.
hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glasspanel.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	6024  

post #8 of 12 Old 12-18-2008, 10:45 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
I am inclined to agree with bradnailer. Move the support posts so that you can use store bought stock windows. It would probably be a good idea to use double glazed windows and door. This would help cut down road noise, and make it easier and less expensive to heat or air condition as required. Having a couple of widows that have either a slider and screen, or a section that opens would be good for ventillation.

Gerry

Hey Daryl you've been pretty quiet lately. Welcome back.

Gerry
post #9 of 12 Old 12-18-2008, 10:55 AM

View daryl in nanoose's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks Gerry, its been a bad year but nice to be back. Now if I could just get of my driveway lol
post #10 of 12 Old 12-26-2008, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

So if I create a frame for the glass to sit in and put that in between the posts, rather than have the glass go directly against the posts, what material should I use?
post #11 of 12 Old 12-27-2008, 11:08 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcampbell View Post
So if I create a frame for the glass to sit in and put that in between the posts, rather than have the glass go directly against the posts, what material should I use?
You could use some 1X2 cedar or pine, and screw it to the posts. If the glass or windows are a fairly snug fit you could screw one set of 1X2 strapping onto the posts, set the glass in place against it, and screw the outer or inner set of strapping against the glass. If the glass or windows are not snug you could cut a dado the full length of strapping, or if necessary something thicker, and fit the glass into it. The framing could then be screwed onto the posts.

Gerry
post #12 of 12 Old 12-27-2008, 01:25 PM

View mics_54's Photo Album My Photos
I just went through this process with a guy that bought a small house on the river that had a screened in porch he wanted to convert to glassed in area. The cheapest way I came up with was framing the openings to accomidate readily available in stock vinyl sliders and single hung insulated glass windows. Certain glass installations will require safety glass when openings will be within certain distances from the floor. Check your local codes. I couldn't come close to buying insulated panes and installing them compared to what I could buy vinyl windows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode