Help on maths measuring issue - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 03-04-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

View JamesMore's Photo Album My Photos
Question Help on maths measuring issue

I have a small pouch that my dog loves to sit under and watch the world go by. As we are near a road when he sits out there I like to tire him to his run just in case he cases a cat or some thing out on to the road.

The pouch looks like the letter H with 2 main posts going up to support the roof and then a rail going through the middle. My dog is not the smartest dog and ends up some times running around one of the posts and wrapping him self up. I am looking at putting in around 6 vertical rails to stop him doing this.

My maths are pretty poor and I am trying to work out the spacing between each rail.

The 6 rails are 1.5inches thick and the length between the 2 posts is 35.43 inches.

Do I do 35.4 / 7 that gives me 5.05 this is the distance between each post taken at the center of the post.

Minus the thickness of the post me a space of 3.55 ? but that does not seem right ?

Any help on this would be great as its simple maths problems like this get me every time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Journeyman Wood Butcher

View smitty1967's Photo Album My Photos
Hey James:
don't overthink the issue....try this:

6 posts, each 1.5 inches....that will mean 7 spaces.

That will mean (using your figures) that you subtract 9.0 inches (for the sum of the 6 posts) from your opening of 35.43 inches, leaving you

26.43 inches.

Divide this by the number of spaces- 7 (the number of spaces between the existing posts and all the new posts). This yields 3.77 inches.

Call it 3.75, and no one will be the wiser, to make it easy to measure and lay out.

Scribe yourself some pencil lines, starting at one end, from the existing post, 3.75, then 1.5, then 3.75, then 1.5...and so on until you're all laid out.

Hope this helps....

regards,
smitty
The Following User Says Thank You to smitty1967 For This Useful Post:
JamesMore (03-05-2010)
post #3 of 19 Old 03-04-2010, 11:35 PM

View jlhaslip's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to jlhaslip
start your spacings as per above from each side and let the middle one absorb any difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
JamesMore (03-05-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 03-05-2010, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

I know I over though the issue :-) thanks guys

I was thinking of doing pocket hole joints to attach my rails to the top and bottom rail is that over engineering ? I am also putting a bottom rail in and was wanting to secure that in to the concrete any recommendations.

I was thinking of hiding the floor anchors by recessed a small hole in 3 of the rails should I be worried about the anchors rusting or making the rails rot ?
post #5 of 19 Old 03-05-2010, 01:53 AM
Old School

View Willie T's Photo Album My Photos
You'll be about a 32nd of an inch tighter on the center space. I don't think anyone will ever see it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rail spacing.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	13834  

Last edited by Willie T; 03-05-2010 at 01:57 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
JamesMore (03-05-2010)
post #6 of 19 Old 03-05-2010, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the answers :-) I come from the metric system so also find it very hard to visualize things in inches. I can not even picture "32nd of an inch"

The middle rail was a perfect 80cm and the 6 rails where a perfect 1.5 inches . I am trying to move to feet and inches but I some times tend to measure things in both systems that also leads to confusion.
post #7 of 19 Old 03-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Journeyman Wood Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMore View Post
I can not even picture "32nd of an inch"
half of one little mark....

Definately recomment the pocket hole joinery. It would be a good application for this use. Just be sure your screws at their final depth do not exceed the thickness of the top rail.

Don't bother asking me how I know this...

glad we could help
smitty
post #8 of 19 Old 03-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Thanks guys for the answers :-) I come from the metric system so also find it very hard to visualize things in inches. I can not even picture "32nd of an inch"

Think of fractions of inches as parts of the whole. An inch is a whole. There are 32 32nds in an inch. IOW, 16/32 equals one half (inch). Now, the fun part is a shortcut to find half of a fraction. You just double the bottom number.

post #9 of 19 Old 03-05-2010, 01:28 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

The middle rail was a perfect 80cm and the 6 rails where a perfect 1.5 inches . I am trying to move to feet and inches but I some times tend to measure things in both systems that also leads to confusion.
Think of 1/32" as just a little smaller than 1mm.

English metric (mm)
1/320.03130.7938

George
post #10 of 19 Old 03-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
For a close reference...1/8" is close to 3mm.

post #11 of 19 Old 03-05-2010, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the hints and ideas, I was looking to see if I could get a pocket gig keg seems to be the main one I have heard of cheaper ones but never seen any and I don't want to make a home made one.

The middle rail I am going to replace as I found it to be pretty rotten can I use pocket hole joins for this as well ? Can I fill the holes with filler or do I need to make a small wood cap to fill the hole ?
post #12 of 19 Old 03-05-2010, 02:56 PM

View JEC559's Photo Album My Photos
When I do rails on decks like what you are describing I just cut me a spacer and put it in between the first post and attach it top and bottom making sure it is level. Then just go down the line.

I used to work with materials from different suppliers in America, Japan, Europe and what not and I learned every english decimal equivalent to every fraction and metric value that I can recite it from memory. It comes in handy quite often.
post #13 of 19 Old 03-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Old School

Quote:

Here it is in cm & mm. (1/32" = .79375 mm)

CLICK HERE for a fairly comprehensive conversion page.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rail Spacing cm.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	13835  

Name:	Rail spacing mm.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	13836  

Last edited by Willie T; 03-05-2010 at 03:44 PM.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Journeyman Wood Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Here it is in cm & mm. (1/32" = .79375 mm)
You know, Mr. Smarty Pants, no one likes a show-off...

(OK, before I get flamed to death---I'm kidding....)
smitty
post #15 of 19 Old 03-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty1967 View Post
You know, Mr. Smarty Pants, no one likes a show-off...

(OK, before I get flamed to death---I'm kidding....)
smitty
C'mon.... I only carried it out to 5 points.
post #16 of 19 Old 03-06-2010, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys yet again :-)

I was going to use a template Jec559 just like you talked about :-) to make sure I got the spacing correct :-) I have so many projects to work on I can't wait to get these DIY jobs out of the way to do some real wood work:-) After this job I have some trim to put up around a window and then I am on to fun things I have a a bench I have been wanting to make and also maybe a dog house just in between work and work its hard to fine time to work on your hobbies :-)

Thanks also for the links will try and also learn them as my father in law works in feet and inches and when he tells me how much room do I have to back up I tell him 4 meters and he has no clue and when he tells me to run a line out 15 I also have no clue.
post #17 of 19 Old 03-06-2010, 01:57 AM

View jlhaslip's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to jlhaslip
Metric is actually very handy to work with when calculating spacings for equal partitions.

I use a metric tape for stair handrail spacings quite regularly.

Last edited by jlhaslip; 03-06-2010 at 01:57 AM. Reason: typo
post #18 of 19 Old 03-06-2010, 01:44 PM

View Ghidrah's Photo Album My Photos
You might want to check your local building dept. at the town hall to make sure that your spacing between balusters meets minimum/maximum spacing standards.

Any state following the National Building code, "BOCA", ( USA) the maximum space between is 4". To prevent babies, children and or small pets from getting their heads stuck.

Take note unless your milling your own balusters prefab PT, (pressure treated lumber) measures in between 1 5/16 to 1 7/16 depending on the mill.
post #19 of 19 Old 03-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghidrah View Post
You might want to check your local building dept. at the town hall to make sure that your spacing between balusters meets minimum/maximum spacing standards.

Any state following the National Building code, "BOCA", ( USA) the maximum space between is 4". To prevent babies, children and or small pets from getting their heads stuck.

Take note unless your milling your own balusters prefab PT, (pressure treated lumber) measures in between 1 5/16 to 1 7/16 depending on the mill.
That might be why he's using the 6 1-1/2" intermediates he mentioned. It gives him about 3-3/4" between balusters. A reasonable bit of playing room.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode