Help identifying pallet wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 10-12-2015, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

View mattshake9451's Photo Album My Photos
Help identifying pallet wood

Looking for some help with identifying the below wood. This is pallet wood that I have planed down and trued up. I know opinions vary on the use of pallet wood, with that I feel comfortable working with this as I know it is a single use pallet and was used to ship industrial valve fittings. I also know it is heat treated do to markings and the strict regulations as to what can be shipped into the facility I got it from.

Not trying to start a debate of is pallet wood ok or not but would like some help if you have the time. If more/better pics are needed let me know.

Name:  1011151548e.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  1011151548g.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  44.7 KB

Some characteristics: Seems to be very hard and dense, non aromatic, tight grain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-12-2015, 09:31 AM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
My guess is hickory.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-12-2015, 01:24 PM

View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
Any idea of country of origin?

Dave in CT, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-12-2015, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Not with any certainty. The goods being shipped were new parts made and assembled in the US and shipped to US industry. I know this is no guarantee but I assumed US pallets.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-12-2015, 11:52 PM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
I'm a "pallet wood" red flager but you seem to have a regulated pallet which makes it acceptable. OK - you seem confident the wood is US grown, but what part of the country did the shipment originate? I know here in the NE we don't have any Mesquite wood... I do have some Hickory in my shop now and agree it could be hickory. The more info we have the better we can all judge!

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-13-2015, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

I don't know the origin of the parts being shipped, could be anywhere in the US. I will try to find out from our receiving department but after they take the parts off, they stack them up, call me and generally forget about them. There is no way I can expect them to recall where they came from unless the entire lot came off one truck. We get large quantities of new parts weekly.

I wouldn't normally use pallet wood for anything but the fact of the matter is I have access to as many as I want or can get and store for free every day. This coupled with the very tight regulations the company puts on what comes into the facility makes me want to take advantage of the opportunity. If I can put it to good use it stops them from going into a dumpster.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-13-2015, 09:25 AM

View HowardAcheson's Photo Album My Photos
What difference does it make? If you like the color and/or the figure to ahead and use it. Let it be a surprise.

Howie..........
post #8 of 9 Old 10-13-2015, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

I would agree that it doesn't make much of a difference. My only reason for wondering is when it comes time for finish. The above wood will be used for the top of a coffee table being made in the shaker style. The person receiving it as a gift likes darker furniture. I would like to do a little research on staining a specific variety of wood prior to doing it. My experience so far has only been with red oak for personal use and I have not stained any of it. I will build the piece regardless and experiment with the finish. I may have to remake it but luckily I have enough for that. If it doesn't turn out the way I like it or doesn't match the homes decor I will decide what to do with it then.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-15-2015, 02:04 AM

View sawdust703's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe maple & hickory? Maple is tight grained, dense, & heavy. Sometimes a greenish color, or beige brown color to it. And a hardwood. Just my .02 guess. We don't see much hickory out here in Kansas��

Sawdust 703

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode