Help On Drying Red Palm Tree Please - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 10-03-2008, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

View williamvas's Photo Album My Photos
Help On Drying Red Palm Tree Please

Hi All,
My name is will & i'm from Australia. The question is i have cut a Palm tree so i can make a bowl. Now i have spoken to some people & they say they don't use this timber as it has oil in it red palm oil & its very hard to dry... It is such a pretty timber fluro orange with red dots on it so so nice. I really would love to make a bowl out of it & hopefully it would keep its color? Do you now if it would? Also i want to have a semi gloss on it but what would one use as it has to be pretty durable as i will be washing it & stuff. What are the differences between Oil applications & Lacquer? Are there any other methods? Sorry for sounding really stupid i have always used Lacquer in my life "Very short life" but want to explore other stuff that might even suite my application better than Lacquer? I want to make several bowls so i would require something that is very Durable as i will be washing these bowls constantly so i really don't want anything to waer out or have the timber get wet again... This is a great website very informative really nice & some crazy pictures of peoples work always nice to see people that share the same interests so thanks.
Cheers
Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-03-2008, 11:58 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamvas View Post
Hi All,.... This is a great website very informative really nice & some crazy pictures of peoples work always nice to see people that share the same interests so thanks.
Cheers
Will
Well Williamvas, Let me be the first to say welcome to the forum. You are right about this being a great website. It is a little addictive though.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #3 of 4 Old 10-04-2008, 06:57 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Will. Glad to have someone from down under.

A red palm must be something unique to your area, or at least I am not familiar with them here in Florida. As for how to dry I do not have a clue. I have never known anyone to work with wood from a palm tree. The palm trees with which I am familiar have a very soft and large fiber appearance. I just do not know what you would do with them.

Hopefully somebody on here knows more than I do. (That is something very easy to do.)

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-05-2008, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

View williamvas's Photo Album My Photos
Hey George

Thanks for your email, much appreciate it. Haven't found anybody that can assist. Just a question in regards to drying any timber if you use a plastic bag method what would one use to protect the end grain from cracking. Wax??? Glue????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode