Help! Dining table redo. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 05-30-2012, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

View Kris's Photo Album My Photos
Help! Dining table redo.

I have a dining table that has ceramic tile inlays with 1/4"grout lines. I want to remove the tile and fill it in. The problem? I have no idea what I'm doing. I can tackle simple DIY projects. I'm guessing I have to take out the tile and chisel (?) out all the grout. Then what? Do I try to inset wood, or just fill it in another way. I realize I will likely have to paint vs. stain the table, since the wood grain won't match.

Any suggestions? BTW, I have access to my dad's woodworking tools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-30-2012, 05:13 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Suggestions...

This is not an easy project, and once you start, you will be committed.

If you are willing to commit, then you are correct you will need to remove the tile and grout.

If you are lucky and can get a putty knife under the tiles, some will pop out. Many will break.

Consider getting a Fein Multi-Master or its equivalent. The oscillating blade will make short work of the tile, perhaps even the grout.

If you do not have a Multi-Master or equivalent, then removing the tiles may need breaking with a hammer so easier to remove smaller pieces. The grout will either need to be removed with chisel, or angle grinder. Note the latter will make a LOT of dust, but it will go fast.

Once all the tile and grout has been removed you will then have a large but shallow cavity. It will likely be uneven. If this happens, you can consider pouring in floor levelling compound. This is a cement like material mixed with water which self levels. Just ensure you make the table level FIRST. . This could also allow you to get the cavity to match whatever material will be used to replace the tile.

Once the cavity is level you can either attempt to fill with a single piece of e.g., plywood. If so consider cabinet grade. This will be thin (approx 1/4in) and you need this to have any voids patched. The normal big box store plywood will have voids.

An alternate is to consider the wood looking laminated flooring. You could get a contrasting wood/colour so you may be able to avoid painting the table.

Either way you need to glue down the material. Liquid nails should work. Just place some weights on the table to try and get this to be a flat as possible.

Good luck.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-30-2012, 05:47 PM

View Dave66's Photo Album My Photos
If I were going to tackle this project, I would use whatever it takes to get the tiles and thinset out of the table and pray really hard that the builder screwed down a thin sheet of cement backer before laying the tiles.

Once I got all the tile stuff out, I would put stringers in the tiled area and make a wood insert to fill the tiled area. A different wood species and a contrasting stain could look pretty nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-30-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

View Kris's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode