4Likes
  • 2 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC
  • 1 Post By John Smith_inFL

post #1 of 13 Old 06-13-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
David

View Haydman6's Photo Album My Photos
Help with "crack"

Hi I have an older teak ski deck on the back of my boat it has some pretty significant cracks. Looking for a way to seal the cracks and strengthen the cracks with some Epoxy. Is there an epoxy or other type of it adhesive That I can squirt directly in the cracks or do I just need to mix it and push it in the cracks with a tool. Thank you David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-13-2019, 08:10 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Nothing you can squirt in it is going to give you a permanent solution. Without seeing how it's made it's difficult to suggest a solution. Teak is normally very stable. Something in the construction process has probably caused the crack. Can you post some pictures?
post #3 of 13 Old 06-13-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
David

Here are photos, deck is from 1977 ski nautique been in our family for years. Time to restore it again and send it off to my oldest kid and let them enjoy it.
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/atta...1&d=1560473816
Help with "crack"-img_0520.jpg

Help with "crack"-img_0519.jpg

Help with "crack"-img_0518.jpg

Help with "crack"-img_0517.jpg

Last edited by Haydman6; 06-13-2019 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Miss spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-13-2019, 09:28 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Too long neglected to save ....

JMO, but I'd make a new one. It would make a nice wall hanger, but there are so many "cracks" to fill it would be far easier to make another one and it would look so much better.
Kerrys and John Smith_inFL like this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 13 Old 06-13-2019, 09:39 PM

OK, that is different than I was thinking. The cracks are caused from the wood drying out too much. You might be able to get some more use out of it but the wood would need to be moisturized some. You might thin down some tung oil and treat the wood with that several times. Stop just before it starts looking like it has a varnish on it and let it dry a week. Then fill the cracks with epoxy. It won't hold the wood together but might prevent someone from getting a splinter. Once filled sand it off smooth and finish the wood with a marine grade spar varnish. The best spar varnish is Epifanes available at boat supply places.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-14-2019, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
David

Thanks for the info guys. I really hate to take this deck off the boat this been there for 42 years. But I also hate to send this boat down to my daughter and things fall apart. Son-in-law is not the brightest kid on the block. My ex-wife had the boat for many years after the divorce and left it out in the weather. Her money problems wound up Selling back to me. Now itís up to me to fix it for the next generation to enjoy your use. Iím leaning towards building a new teak deck, but thatí old deck has so many memories. my kids learning to go tubing, ski and later on to wakeboard. Itís hard to be sentimental and realistic at the same time. Man Iím getting old, I hope that they love that boat as much as I did.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-14-2019, 06:16 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I do not think that the deck is going to fall apart. It is primarily a cosmetic problem.

If you value the historic significance of the deck I would just leave it alone.

If the deck looks this bad because of ex's neglect, what condition is the rest of the boat in?

George
John Smith_inFL likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-14-2019, 08:55 AM
Central Florida

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
David - do you ever visit the wooden boat forums ??
I have seen some very nice projects made from salvaged swim decks.
if you could save the existing deck you could make a coffee table for the kids
or a wall hanger with a bunch of photos attached of the kids when they were young.
can you post a photo of the whole stern with deck ?? and tell us the size of it.

and in my very personal opinion, you have done a great job in sanding it down
to bare wood. If it were MY project, I would take my time and treat each
area with epoxy. stand it up where the cracks are vertical, tape off the flats,
and fill the cracked end grains with slow setting epoxy. then on to the next area.
I would not try to fill more than I could handle in a 6-12" area at one time.
with teak, you must wash well with acetone prior to doing any finish work on it
such as applying oils, varnish or epoxy.
I have repaired and renovated boat projects in far worse condition than yours.
this type of "fix" will buy you several more very happy summers !!

is is this similar to your boat ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'77 Correct Craft.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	376329  

Kerrys likes this.

-- Failure is proof that you at least tried ~ now, go do it again, and again, until you get it right --

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 06-14-2019 at 09:30 AM.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-14-2019, 11:42 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry if I'm being a wet blanket, but epoxy doesn't hold up very well in the sun. It gets cloudy and looks awful. You can protect it by coating it with a good UV resistant varnish like Epifanes, but things like decks and swim platforms are usually not varnished, because it makes them slippery.

I see no issue in replacing the platform from a preservation perspective. If it were a plank on one of the sides, there would be no reservation about replacing it, right?
post #10 of 13 Old 06-14-2019, 02:06 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
looking at all the cracks and all the shrinkage and all the pieces falling apart . . .
consider: it's structural. it will break when enough weight gets on it.

imho, time for a total rebuild.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-15-2019, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
David

Hi guys thanks for all the info and opinions. Iím gonna call my daughter and see what she would like me to do I donít mind making a new deck if thatís what she would like. I will Definitely keep the old deck and make something out of it. If she wants me to restore the old one thatís what Iíll do and make a pattern so if it breaks down the road I can easily replicate it. Thanks David
post #12 of 13 Old 06-15-2019, 07:30 AM

If you make a new one keep in mind the new one will do the same thing over time. In the third picture, the one with the finish still on it. See where it has a little crack with the finish being gray next to the crack. The gray spots is air under the finish and allows water to soak into the wood. This water soaking into the wood and then baking in the sun causes the wood to expand and contract much more than normal. Then over time the wood gets more dry and less elastic so the wood cracks when it shrinks. With routine maintenance touching up the finish where needed the wood would last a lot longer.

When you build the new deck and get ready to finish it wash the wood with acetone first. Teak is an oil wood and it will help the adhesion of the finish to remove as much of the natural wax oil as you can.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-15-2019, 12:34 PM

View Buckmark13's Photo Album My Photos
I'd suggest using the West System epoxy. You can use their silica filler to make a putty if you find that easier. Aniline dye can be used to match it color wise.

While UV exposure will eventually deteriorate the epoxy, it will probably provide you years of continued use with little effort until you're force to replace the platform.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode