Help with Christmas gifts please - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 12-19-2013, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

View kelsochris's Photo Album My Photos
Help with Christmas gifts please

For gifts this year I decided to make several smaller crosse and crucifixes to give to co workers and friends. For the crucifixes I purchased small plastic corpi ( representation of Christ's body ) and planned on affixing them with epoxy. I have had good luck on 5 but on 3 of them I can't seem to get the epoxy to take to the plastic figure at all. It will bond like cement to the wood even through the oil finish I applied but not to the plastic. I'm running short on time and need them done tomorrow afternoon. Any suggestions, should I try superglue perhaps?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-19-2013, 02:33 PM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
Have you tried sandpaper to rough up the area to be epoxied on the plastic?

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins
post #3 of 20 Old 12-19-2013, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Here is a crucifix that came out the way I wanted it to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3140923127.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	85089  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 12-19-2013, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc65
Have you tried sandpaper to rough up the area to be epoxied on the plastic?
I might try that they are painted so that could be a barrier to getting a good bond I guess.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-19-2013, 03:56 PM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
Failing that you could simply screw into the back of the corpi with a small screw and then glue the head of the screw into a small hole drilled in the cross. Not an elegant solution, but it should hold.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-19-2013, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

It seems that sanding the back of the figure is working so far. The was one of those quick not so well thought out projects. I couldn't find the corpi I was looking for so I went with the cheap plastic ones that catholic supply had on hand. These actually had small holes drilled in the feet and hands but didn't come with any nails or screws. I looked in the stores and couldn't find anything that looked like it would work so I went with the epoxy.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-19-2013, 04:52 PM

View Duane Bledsoe's Photo Album My Photos
Are your friends vampire hunters? LOL.

In all seriousness, it's good to see someone still leaving Christ in Christmas. I was just at Lowe's buying paint and my wife wished the paint mix guy a merry Christmas and he replied Feliz Navidad, saying he wasn't allowed to say merry Christmas. What a shame.
The Following User Says Thank You to Duane Bledsoe For This Useful Post:
mike1950 (12-19-2013)
post #8 of 20 Old 12-19-2013, 08:55 PM

View mike1950's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Bledsoe View Post

In all seriousness, it's good to see someone still leaving Christ in Christmas. I was just at Lowe's buying paint and my wife wished the paint mix guy a merry Christmas and he replied Feliz Navidad, saying he wasn't allowed to say merry Christmas. What a shame.
Yes- and 1/3rd of the world is christian- go figure............

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is." Albert Einstein
post #9 of 20 Old 12-20-2013, 12:15 AM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1950 View Post
Yes- and 1/3rd of the world is christian- go figure............

Unfortunately its the 2/3's that aren't who are running everything these days.

From where I'm sitting it won't be long now....

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
post #10 of 20 Old 12-20-2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnie52 View Post
Unfortunately its the 2/3's that aren't who are running everything these days.

From where I'm sitting it won't be long now....
My thoughts exactly.
post #11 of 20 Old 12-20-2013, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Sanding the back side contact points did the trick. I believe I should also correct my vocabulary. On a crucifix the body of Christ is referred to as the corpus. I learned that the hard way by googling corpi. The results were disturbing to say the least. All I have to do now is affix a soda tab to the back for wall hanging and they will all be done.
post #12 of 20 Old 12-20-2013, 03:17 AM

View JohnnyG73's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

The same thing happened to me last year. I'm not really offended by much but I was raised catholic. The store employee said "Happy Holidays, that's all I'm allowed to say." I thought it was strange considering they were selling Christmas dcor that said Merry Christmas. I was also confused because I had always thought that the phrase "Happy Holidays" incorporated Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years all in one in order to not have to say each one separately...but what do I know about proper holiday etiquette.

Your crosses remind me of the ones that hang on my parents wall. They slide open when removed and hold one or two candles.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-20-2013, 11:45 AM

My wife and I used to work at Walmart about 10 years ago. They told us not to say merry Christmas either. We both refused to comply and said it to everyone who came to the counter. When you believe like we do, to do otherwise is simply not acceptable.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
Good on you Duane. This happy holiday PC crap burns me up. Christmas is what it is!
post #15 of 20 Old 12-23-2013, 06:39 AM
i carved this

View feralfreak's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
My wife and I used to work at Walmart about 10 years ago. They told us not to say merry Christmas either. We both refused to comply and said it to everyone who came to the counter. When you believe like we do, to do otherwise is simply not acceptable.
while I am not the least bit religious anymore(faith dead, bad topic, not gonna go into that) I like that you and your wife thumbed your nose that that rule, we need more of that for things that are banned that make no sense being banned, those that don't like hearing something can do what I do, shut their mouths and respect the beliefs of others, lf someone don't like hearing that phrase its not gonna kill them to ignore it and respect your beliefs to say it. I could continue that into a big rant but ill save that for the youtube videos. basically a boss shouldn't tell you you cant say that.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-23-2013, 06:04 PM

View chsdiyer's Photo Album My Photos
I like this project...good job! Seems you got your solution but another option that might have worked would have been to drill tiny holes in the hands and feet and use nails maybe with a little epoxy on the backside for the nail to take into the hole (just to make sure the nail doesn't work it's way out later).
post #17 of 20 Old 12-28-2013, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

I have one of those hidden compartment crucifixes as well. The candle are supposed to be blessed and if I remember correctly should only be lit when either someone is deathly ill or other dire circumstance. It aggravates me that me celebrating my religion offends some one and that I have to tone things down or I a some how infringing on their rights. BS
post #18 of 20 Old 12-28-2013, 03:37 AM
DST

View DST's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsochris
It seems that sanding the back of the figure is working so far. The was one of those quick not so well thought out projects. I couldn't find the corpi I was looking for so I went with the cheap plastic ones that catholic supply had on hand. These actually had small holes drilled in the feet and hands but didn't come with any nails or screws. I looked in the stores and couldn't find anything that looked like it would work so I went with the epoxy.
Seems like utilizing the holes in the hands and feet with small nails would be appropriate. At least as appropriate as gluing to the cross.
post #19 of 20 Old 12-28-2013, 03:40 AM
DST

View DST's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Bledsoe
Are your friends vampire hunters? LOL. In all seriousness, it's good to see someone still leaving Christ in Christmas. I was just at Lowe's buying paint and my wife wished the paint mix guy a merry Christmas and he replied Feliz Navidad, saying he wasn't allowed to say merry Christmas. What a shame.
I think at that point I would have made a point of telling the clerk to let their manager know I wished them a merry Christmas but l was going to buy my paint at a store that didn't impose political correct crap over employees rights of expression.
post #20 of 20 Old 12-28-2013, 05:06 AM
i carved this

View feralfreak's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DST View Post
I think at that point I would have made a point of telling the clerk to let their manager know I wished them a merry Christmas but l was going to buy my paint at a store that didn't impose political correct crap over employees rights of expression.
i like that, that is what we need more of, people that will tell stores, "hey, you want my money, you toss that pc crap out the window", we need need that more than j ust at the holidays too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode