Help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 03-09-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

View Kathie's Photo Album My Photos
Help

This might not be right forum, but... I have an antique desk that had duct tape and then paint on it. I can't find anything that will remove this. It is rock hard. Any suggestions please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-09-2017, 09:38 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome here Kathie, to this friendly WW forum. There is always a good answer, but a little more information could bring you better solutions to your problem. Depending on where, how much tape/paint, the type of wood, approximate age, and how much you want to invest (time & $) to restore(?) your desk, are IMO other factors that would help. There may be businesses in your area that specialize in furniture restoration & repair, but usually at a high price. Consider looking for books or on line for EZ furniture repairs, but be cautious as to what is involved. Post here if you find a good workable solution, as others may be in the same situation. Be safe.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-09-2017, 11:12 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Duct tape?

Was the tape a repair or decoration? Is the paint all over the piece or just in spots? What do you want to do now, strip it all off?

To remove the tape marks... dried adhesive... you can just scrape them off with a Stanley razor blade. Same goes for drops of paint.
Stripping is a whole 'nother ball game. Got any photos of the piece and the issues?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-09-2017, 12:28 PM

View Wayne Twaddell's Photo Album My Photos
I think you're looking for a magic product that you can spray on and make the problem disappear. While it is possible that a simple product such as the magic eraser could do the trick, more information and pictures would be very helpful.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-09-2017, 12:53 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I recently had to strip an old dresser with about 6 layers of various types of paint.
Citristrip did a nice job getting off the layers and would likely also soften the duct tape enough to peel it off as well.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Citristrip-...801T/100208204
I would avoid using the typical paint scraping tools and instead use a flexible steel drywall knife which is plenty wide and will reduce the chances of digging into the wood itself. And as a side note those same drywall knives are great for getting ice and snow off a windshield without scratching the glass. I always keep one in the car in the winter.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #6 of 12 Old 03-09-2017, 01:04 PM

View Brian(J)'s Photo Album My Photos
People who own glider aircraft (http://************/zp8hche) tape all sorts of seals and gaskets to the fiberglass wings and fuselage which then hardens in the sun all summer. To remove it without harming the gel coat we used 3M adhesive remover. http://************/z98mxbb

They do make a spray as well but I have never used it.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-09-2017, 02:52 PM

View hawkvtx's Photo Album My Photos
Not sure if this will help. I'm a beginner woodworker myself but I also work on motorcycles as a hobby too and lots of guys want to change out their stock grips for aftermarket ones or debadge their bikes. In those instances , especially with the grips they are glued onto the handle bars with a very strong adhesive. To remove them I squirt WD-40 in there and it will dissolve the adhesive enough to break them loose. Then I can remove them and with some more WD-40 and a little elbow grease clean off the remaining glue. There is also a product called Goo-Gone that's available at most home stores or auto parts stores but as a general rule most everyone has some WD-40 on hand. Not sure how it would affect the wood at all but something to think about.

enjoy martial arts...and crafts
post #8 of 12 Old 03-09-2017, 08:28 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Use a hair dryer and heat the tape. This will refresh the adhesive to where you can peal it off. Then use mineral spirits or maybe naphtha to clean up what adhesive is left.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-11-2017, 02:42 PM

View GeneT's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with Steve on the naptha but if you don't have any on hand you can substitute with lighter fluid.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-11-2017, 08:43 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
I agree with Steve on the naptha but if you don't have any on hand you can substitute with lighter fluid.
Real dangerous stuff to work with if you have no experience with those types of solvents. Naptha is highly flammable so if you're going to use it be absolutely sure to keep any source of ignition (such as a hair dryer *cough cough) well away from it and make sure it's completely dry before using any electrical equipment around it.
I used it in the painting business from time to time when I needed paint to dry quicker, but there are more stable options out there. Naptha will light up faster than gasoline..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 03-11-2017 at 08:45 PM.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-13-2017, 01:50 AM

View GeneT's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
Real dangerous stuff to work with if you have no experience with those types of solvents. Naptha is highly flammable so if you're going to use it be absolutely sure to keep any source of ignition (such as a hair dryer *cough cough) well away from it and make sure it's completely dry before using any electrical equipment around it.
I used it in the painting business from time to time when I needed paint to dry quicker, but there are more stable options out there. Naptha will light up faster than gasoline..
Yes, allpurpose is correct that those two solvents are highly flammable and I should have considered the OP's possible lack of experience using such, and give the proper warnings. My apologies to the OP for possibly putting her in harms way and Thanks to allpurpose for the warning.

Last edited by GeneT; 03-13-2017 at 04:09 AM.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-13-2017, 06:35 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
A lot of guessing going on here and we have not heard from Kathie in almost 3 days.

George

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode