Help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 02-03-2010, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

View ghall45's Photo Album My Photos
Help

I spent the last few months, sanding and restaining a wood table to be able to put pictures on it and seal it with high gloss thick polyurethane. I used an oil based stain and it dryed for 2 weeks. I sealed the table with high gloss oil urethane and then attached the pictures while the urethane was still wet. the next day I poured on the first coat of high gloss thick special polyurethane. Some of the pictures floated. So after 72 hours the urethan was dry and I put on a second coat. The self leveling polyurethane looked really good. A few bubbles, but the table looked fairly dry and smooth.

There were still a few edges of the photos that floated still above the urethane line and I figured I'd add a 3rd coat to smooth it all out.

The 3rd coat went crazy!!!! I now have waves, pockets and after 3 weeks of not touching the table I still have wet sticky parts around the waved areas. I figure I can buff a smooth finish once dry and live with a few flaws, but it's not drying!! I will take any advice. The table looks great, even with the flaws, but until it's dry I can't even move it. I have tried fans without luck. PLEASE save my table. THANKS

Gabi

Last edited by ghall45; 02-03-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-03-2010, 02:46 PM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
Have you tried adding heat? Point some lamps with 100 watt bulbs at the table and surround the area with a plastic "tent" made from some plastic dropcloth. I don't know how well it will work with the poly but it works really well with epoxies.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-06-2010, 09:59 AM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
What kind of pour on finish did you use?
I do know that if you don't mix it correctly or completely it will not dry correctly.

Did you say tool sale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-06-2010, 03:28 PM

View ironhat's Photo Album My Photos
I recently read that a study showed how air movement was the most critical factor in the drying of finishes. Does that pertain to what you used? I don't know but it is cheap to find out. I would blow the fan through a 3M, low micron filter if the finish is actually tacky. BTW, welcome aboard and please go back and modify your profile to show where you live. It helps responders to know how to reply based on humidity and temps. Just a region such as I did - South-central PA - is good enough in book. It tells more than the name of a town that we don't know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode