Heavy duty bench/chest of drawers - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 03-09-2017, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Heavy duty bench/chest of drawers

I'm giving thought to swapping out my old fabled 2x4 and plywood bench, the same one I've been threatening to rip out and replace now forever with something similar to my regular bench which is based on Paul Sellers bench with the main difference being is using its heavy-dutyedness (why yes! I did just make up this word in case you're wondering) as the frame and the design of an every day chest of drawers. The reason is that I want something with drawers with the extra strength and portability is, well..because I can for lack of a better reason. The bench I'm wanting to get rid of is bolted to the wall, a few inches too tall and about a foot too wide not to mention the top is plain nasty anymore and severely limits my floor space. The original is 12' long and 3' wide. It's sturdy enough, but it's entirely too stationary and too big for the space I have.
So anyway, after measuring time and time again I've pretty much settled on somewhere around two benches of about 5' x 2', 4- 3" corner posts and 1, perhaps 2- 3" center post with a total of 6 drawers for each bench.
Any thoughts about this or suggestions? I'm figuring either a laminated top (2x lumber) or solid slab tops. I still have the big old birch log yet to be sawn into lumber so that's available and truth be told I ain't exactly opposed to a nice hardwood top.
The only real issue i have is with all the drawers I'd be limited with the ability to add a vise unless I designate a portion to vise-ability.. It's nice to be able to just make up words as I go along, eh?

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-09-2017, 08:57 AM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I prefer a workbench with drawers in a small home shop. It's a good use of space. Heavy duty drawers and drawer slides can hold a lot of woodworking tools and accessories. Extend your top out over the drawers far enough for clearance to use clamps on the front edge when needed.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #3 of 3 Old 03-09-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
I prefer a workbench with drawers in a small home shop. It's a good use of space. Heavy duty drawers and drawer slides can hold a lot of woodworking tools and accessories. Extend your top out over the drawers far enough for clearance to use clamps on the front edge when needed.
I'm kind of thinking about short aprons with dog holes, possibly a small face vise or perhaps a leg vise on one.. This is something I'll think over with time. I'm not in a big hurry and I don't have to have as many drawers. 3 each would probably hold more than I really need. I'll have much more wall space once the 3' bench is out of the way. Three feet out from the wall makes the wall just about useless for storage.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode