Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: The Very Tip of Lake Michigan
My issue with electric, other than the elevated cost as someone has mentioned, is recovery time. I often have long periods when I cannot get into the shop, so when I find a couple hours I dash out and practice the hobby. Nothing electric can heat my space fast enough. I also have a fairly drafty space due to its age and construction, so I have a rather rapid air change and therefore lose a fair of heat. Nothing electric can keep up with the air changes.
The kerosene "bullet" heater has been my temporary solution for over fifteen years. After the initial starting burst of combustion, any kerosene smell rapidly departs. I have a very large area to heat with a domed roof, and the bullet can make it toasty in 10-15 minutes. The space will stay at pretty good temperature for between 45 to 90 minutes depending on ambient and wind, so I only cycle it occasionally. One caveat however- It is noisy. I often wear a headset and listen to satellite radio or the ball game on TV while it's running.
Moisture has never been a problem simply because the air never saturates to condensation, and that is because I never heat for long periods of time. None of my tools or material will absorb water to a negative extent in a short amount of time. I have a 55,000 BTU heater (rather large) and it goes through about thirty gallons of kero per winter season.
I have always had plans to install a natural gas line to my building for the convenience of not having to deal with buying kerosene and servicing the unit. But until then (and it's been fifteen years of wishing) the bullet does serve me well.
Another $000,000,000.02 worth of advice,