Have I ruined this cutting board? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 01-07-2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

View CPNMike's Photo Album My Photos
Have I ruined this cutting board?

Well, doggone it, I forgot to put some kind of anti-blotching on this hard Maple board before I put a few coats of mineral oil on it. I did try to sand it down a bit, wipe on General Finishes Pre-Stain conditioner (water based), let it dry for a few hours, and then wipe on mineral oil again, but as you can see, it didn't help. Maybe I didn't sand deep enough. So my questions are:

Is this even "fixable" now?
Is the G.F. pre-stain conditioner a good choice for blotch control or should I get some of the Charles Neil stuff?
Did I not give the G.F. conditioner enough time to do it's thing?
I didn't try scraping the mineral oil off - do you think that would work?

Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blotching 003 - Copy.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	86474  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-07-2014, 09:23 PM

View 2lim's Photo Album My Photos
I would not recommend putting conditioner on a cutting board, as I am not sure it is food safe. You can try sanding/scraping/planing it down and recoating with mineral oil, or let the mineral oil "naturally" come out by putting it through "normal" use(wash it and dry it with soapy water a few times).

Generally if my boards turn splotchy, I zing them through my spiral planer once, re-sand them, and re-apply my oil.

Simon
post #3 of 16 Old 01-07-2014, 09:25 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not sure what caused that but the wood conditioner would have had the same results. If the shadow didn't pass over several boards I would say it was some mineral stain in the wood. I believe the only thing you can do is sand it off and treat it with the mineral oil again and hope for the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-07-2014, 09:43 PM
crosseyed & dyslexic

View Crusader's Photo Album My Photos
Ok that's super cool! I see you like fine Woodworking I'm going to try that one myself here real soon. Any tips, or things you ran into while making that fine board?
post #5 of 16 Old 01-07-2014, 10:00 PM

View Gilgaron's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe I have poor taste or something, but I think it looks awesome as-is
post #6 of 16 Old 01-07-2014, 10:02 PM

View Mayor's Photo Album My Photos
By the shadow passing through several boards as stated above....and just looking at the picture. I would think that one might have laid a forearm on the board while sanding and the natural body oils got onto the wood and prevented the mineral oil from sinking in evenly!. I've had that happen before with almost exact results. I just ran mine thru a planer and took it down another 1/16" or so and then resanded and reapplied the mineral oil! Came out great!
post #7 of 16 Old 01-08-2014, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! It won't fit in my planer so I guess I'll try a deeper round of scraping/sanding and then the mineral oil.

crusader - I just followed the article in FWW. If you don't have it, let me know and I'll get it to you. My only advice would be to make sure your template is dead flat on the edge where the router bearing rides. Otherwise, as you gradually go deeper and deeper routing the groove, each depth will be a slightly different width and you'll have to go back and correct it somehow or you'll have gaps in the curved insert pieces. I hope that makes sense. Also, it does help to have an extra set of hands for the glue-ups.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I've never used anything on a cutting board other than mineral oil. I'd pour a bunch on, and let it sit for a day or two. And by a bunch I mean a bunch. I will sometimes make a lip around the outside of the board with scraps so I can keep standing oil on the board.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #9 of 16 Old 01-08-2014, 01:39 PM

View Masterjer's Photo Album My Photos
I think it looks awesome as is.

I tried this technique with an end grain board - it didn't work out so well. When routing for the curved stripes, it completely blew a huge chunk out of the board as I got near the exit. Lesson learned. Routing end grain is not as forgiving as face grain.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-08-2014, 02:16 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
I've never used anything on a cutting board other than mineral oil. I'd pour a bunch on, and let it sit for a day or two. And by a bunch I mean a bunch. I will sometimes make a lip around the outside of the board with scraps so I can keep standing oil on the board.
I made a pond for mine. I didn't have anything big enough for it to fit (15 1/2 x 24). It worked fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01768.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	86547  

Attached Images

post #11 of 16 Old 01-08-2014, 03:17 PM

View rbk123's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgaron View Post
Maybe I have poor taste or something, but I think it looks awesome as-is
First thing I thought when I saw the pic. I wish a lot of my projects were as "ruined" as that one..
The Following User Says Thank You to rbk123 For This Useful Post:
frankp (01-09-2014)
post #12 of 16 Old 01-09-2014, 03:30 PM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
If that's ruined I'm just going to go ahead and sell all my tools now. Seriously, that finish isn't what I would call "blotchy" at all and I suspect most of it is unavoidable no matter what you do to prep it. The board looks great.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-09-2014, 03:48 PM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
That board looks perfect to me. IMO, some blemishes in a cutting board make it look better than one without. Besides, its for laying down and slamming a knife into, not hanging on the wall and admiring. Its going to get a lot more beat up from normal use than the extremely minor flaws I see in it now.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
post #14 of 16 Old 01-09-2014, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your comments. It seems most of you agree with my wife. She likes it the way it is and gives me crap all the time for trying to make things too perfect.

It's wood for crying out loud, it's never going to be perfect! I need to get that in my head. I just like my projects to be as nice as possible.

Again, thank you all for the kind words and setting me straight.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-09-2014, 08:29 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPNMike View Post
Thank you all for your comments. It seems most of you agree with my wife. She likes it the way it is and gives me crap all the time for trying to make things too perfect.

It's wood for crying out loud, it's never going to be perfect! I need to get that in my head. I just like my projects to be as nice as possible.

Again, thank you all for the kind words and setting me straight.
Well nobody was suggesting throwing it out and starting over. I think it merits 15 minutes to sand it and re-oil it.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-09-2014, 08:48 PM

View DonG1947's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPNMike View Post
I just like my projects to be as nice as possible.
I agree with your sentiment. My dad alway used to say, "If you are going to do it, you might as well do it right." I try to live up to that and have passed that on to my daughters---both woodworkers.

Your board is beautiful, but I see your source of frustration.

I do some cooking and would hate it if anyone gave me either of the 2 boards that have been pictured in this thread. They would just take up space because there would be NO WAY I would put a knife to those beautiful boards. I recognize the work that went into them and couldn't destroy their beauty.

Don

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode