Have anyone ever try these guys? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 10-10-2007, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

View Richard's Photo Album My Photos
Have anyone ever try these guys?

Hi Everyone

I extreamly new to all this and I found these guys selling exotic woods. Do you think they're any good or too expensive?

TIA

Richard

http://www.woodworkerssource.net/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-10-2007, 04:33 PM

View mdlbldrmatt135's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Yahoo to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Skype™ to mdlbldrmatt135
Not too bad..... But when I live in town....
www.westpennhardwoods.com
It's a bit easier for me (plus the "out the door price is a bit cheaper)
post #3 of 12 Old 10-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Hi Everyone

I extreamly new to all this and I found these guys selling exotic woods. Do you think they're any good or too expensive.

Online ordering of hardwoods to me is like "mail order brides". You'll have to sleep with your order especially if you're making a bed. I like actually seeing the stock, feeling it, and checking it out all over. Unless the selling point is within driving distance for me, the price would have an "add on" delivery charge which would make it a senseless purchase. I prefer to shop at my local hardwood dealers, establish a close relationship with the personnel there, and have the opportunity to pick out my own stock, and in the long run, save money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-11-2007, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

I hear where your coming from cabinetman, but I have'nt found any good supplier yet. I've been to Rockler but their price seems kind of high and forget about HD or Lowes.

Have any connections?
post #5 of 12 Old 10-11-2007, 10:43 AM

View mdlbldrmatt135's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Yahoo to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Skype™ to mdlbldrmatt135
Rockler, Woodcraft and several others do Buy from West Penn (I've seen the pallets waiting to be picked up) so they're making up from other prices.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I hear where your coming from cabinetman, but I have'nt found any good supplier yet. I've been to Rockler but their price seems kind of high and forget about HD or Lowes.
Have any connections?

My suggestion is to look in your local yellow pages under headings like "hardwoods", "lumber" and "plywoods". Of those, you may find some that carry both planed and "in the rough". Another source would be "marine supplies", "chandleries", "boat building supplies", "millwork or cabinet manufacturing supplies".

The choices at these specialty sources will far exceed your selection at any home center. Being able to stand at a rack of wood makes more sense than looking at pictures.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Mail ordering woods can be a bad or good experience. Before I began operating my own sawmill business I never had one bad experience ordering wood. I guess I was lucky.

Now that I am on the other end, I have shipped thousands of pieces of wood to hundreds of customers and I have not had one single request for a refund or replacement. Maybe one or two were not happy with what they got but if so I never heard from them.

I offer a full refund/replacement policy on all my wood with no restocking fees. I ask that the customer pay the shipping back but I would also pay it if the customer were to insist.

If you can't find a local supplier, I suggest you deal only with people who do business in a similiar fashion.

This is not an ad for me. Currently I am not taking on any new customers until probably next year.

I would also add that if you contact Daren I can guarantee you will not get a piece of junk wood from him, because he deals in stunning woods that will knock your eyes out. Although we are both mods I don't think anyone would accuse me of being partial. Seeing is believing. Just check out his website and try and argue that you can't get good wood from the dude. Good wood is all he sells.

Last edited by TexasTimbers; 10-11-2007 at 12:23 PM. Reason: badd spelleng
post #8 of 12 Old 10-11-2007, 01:12 PM

View Joe Lyddon's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

Have any connections?

Richard,

Where do you live?

IMHO, ANY other place would be better to buy wood than HD or Lowes...
post #9 of 12 Old 10-11-2007, 02:07 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post

contact Daren Just check out his website and try and argue that you can't get good wood from the dude. Good wood is all he sells.
Thanks Kevin, I could not have said it better myself . I am getting in the same boat you are in (not quite as bad) more customers than wood right now...but I ain't complaining.

The real reason I chimed in was to link another thread here. I think local lumber suppliers are far too over looked. Partially for the reasons mentioned in the thread, I don't advertise. I think I remember TexasTimbers saying he had to take his sign down on the highway cause the customers had his lane wore plum out (that is what happens when a sawmill has good wood)

In this thread I show another member he is virtually surrounded by hardwood suppliers...you don't have to buy that overpriced stuff from those catalogs/internet (like was mentioned in this thread, sigh unseen ) Or from some pimple face kid at the "Big Box" who doesn't know ash from a hole in the ground.
Please if you are looking for good wood take the time to read this thread, I get to the point near the end of the posting. The exact thing holds true for you, I would bet my mill...you are surrounded by better places to buy lumber. Not that I have anything against the company you are asking about. I just think you need to know your options. http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1529
post #10 of 12 Old 10-11-2007, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

I live in Framingham MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lyddon View Post
Richard,

Where do you live?

IMHO, ANY other place would be better to buy wood than HD or Lowes...
post #11 of 12 Old 10-11-2007, 02:24 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I live in Framingham MA
Then you definitely need to read the thread I linked, it was for another member in Ma. There is a list of 50-60? local suppliers...that might be 1/2 of them . Throw away that catalog/delete the link of that internet supplier from your favorites and go get you some real wood .
post #12 of 12 Old 10-11-2007, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

I just finished reading it thanks so much for the information. I also sent you a PM

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
Then you definitely need to read the thread I linked, it was for another member in Ma. There is a list of 50-60? local suppliers...that might be 1/2 of them . Throw away that catalog/delete the link of that internet supplier from your favorites and go get you some real wood .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode