Hauling some 1"x12"x12' boards - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 40 Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

View Specialkayme's Photo Album My Photos
Hauling some 1"x12"x12' boards

Hey everyone. New member. I've been lurking around for a few weeks, decided to finally join. I mainly build beekeeping equipment for personal use and/or sale. Most boxes need to be 9 5/8" deep, meaning I need to buy 1"x12" boards. Home Depot prices DESTROY me (usually around $26 per 12' board), so I found a pallet company that sells the extras for around $6.20 a piece. Some are cracked and warped, but at those prices, I can't complain. I asked a few other saw mills, and they said the pallet co. is crazy for letting them go at that price. I was told they were air dried Southern Yellow Pine boards, but some are marked "KD". I don't know the moisture content at all though. The place is about an hour and a half away from me, so gas eats up alot of my savings on boards. So I was hoping to take a few larger trips, rather than more smaller trips. I have a Ford Ranger, that can haul approx. 1,800 lbs in the bed, or 3,500 lbs on a trailer (that I would have to rent from uhaul). Approximately how many boards do you guys think I could (safely) haul with my truck? I don't want to overload, but I also want to make the most economical use of my time. Any idea how much (range) an air dried or kiln dried 1"x12"x12' SYP board weighs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 12-07-2012, 10:44 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
According to my chart Southern Yellow Pine weighs 45 lbs. per cubic foot, so your board 1" X 12" X 12' would weigh 45 lbs. Northern Yellow Pine is only 35 lbs per cubic foot.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #3 of 40 Old 12-08-2012, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

So if we round up to about 50 lbs per board (averaging perhaps a little bit more moisture), I should be able to haul 36 boards in the bed of my truck, or 70 with a trailer, right?

I'd probably round down to about 30 in the bed of my truck, or 60 in a trailer, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 12-08-2012, 11:13 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
rough sawn or S4S?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
According to my chart Southern Yellow Pine weighs 45 lbs. per cubic foot, so your board 1" X 12" X 12' would weigh 45 lbs. Northern Yellow Pine is only 35 lbs per cubic foot.
Which did you estimate for rough or finished? The OP didn't state which he was able to purchase so there's a variable in there which need to be accounted for.....?

There is also the length issue. A 12' board in the bed of a Ranger with a 6' box is a problem also. They will have to be loaded so some weight rests on the cab, unless I'm not thinkin' right here.
That means they are resting on the cab at an angle and want to slide..... I wouldn't trust a ratchet strap to keep them from sliding.
I've seen them with the rear ends in and against the tailgate, but then they stick up pretty high. If it were me I'd be thinkin' trailer. I've hauled some 16ft'rs in my 10' trailer with the tailgate off or against the gate and out the front. I overloaded a front wheel drive Chevy Citation with too much weight on the tongue which lifted the rear end up and it did a "tank slapper" on the way home. Scared the bejesus out of me. Just be careful and remember Murphy's Law.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-08-2012 at 12:37 PM.
post #5 of 40 Old 12-08-2012, 11:23 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Another alternative would be to take a good sharp handsaw along and cut the boards to a shorter length that would still allow maximum use of the board.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #6 of 40 Old 12-08-2012, 12:50 PM
RAM Man

View sweensdv's Photo Album My Photos
If it were me, I'd go the trailer route. I'm finding it hard to picture how you could safely haul 12' long boards in the bed of a Ranger. Even with the tailgate down you'll still have a lot of lumber sticking out the back end plus you'll also be putting a lot of stress on the tailgate.

Dave

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
post #7 of 40 Old 12-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

I wouldn't use the Ranger. You add that kind of weight, for the length of the trip, your stopping distance is at risk. You shouldn't get near maximum load capacity. If you are amicable to rent a trailer, it may be smarter to rent a van. U-Haul has one day specials that are likely close to just what a trailer will cost you.

post #8 of 40 Old 12-08-2012, 01:59 PM

View Dave66's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I found a pallet company that sells the extras for around $6.20 a piece.
And how many pallets will it take to get the same amout of usable material as the Home Depot board? How much prep work will it take to get the pallet wood into sizes you need? Add in whatever it costs you to get the pallets and the math may make the Home Depot price much more acceptable

Economics almost never depends on a single cost item. - lol
post #9 of 40 Old 12-08-2012, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
The OP didn't state which he was able to purchase so there's a variable in there which need to be accounted for.....?
90% or so of the sides are finished. Some are rough cut, but still 3/4", and not the standard rough cut 1" thickness.

Quote:
There is also the length issue. A 12' board in the bed of a Ranger with a 6' box is a problem also. Just be careful and remember Murphy's Law.
I did a test run with 11 boards. My 6' bed (plus tailgate) made it fit just right, with some ratchet straps. I'm sure there was a good amount of weight on the tailgate though, which would mean I'd be more interested in using a trailer next go around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
If you are amicable to rent a trailer, it may be smarter to rent a van. U-Haul has one day specials that are likely close to just what a trailer will cost you.
I didn't contemplate renting a van . . . I thought about renting an F-150 but the cost was too great to add any value over the trailer.

I checked rates on vans in my area, but the inside dimensions are only 9 feet long. In order to get the full 12' boards, I'd have to get a 14' box truck. That's $29.99 per day, plus $0.99 per mile. The 12' trailer is a flat $29.99 per day. I think I'd still be better off renting the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave66 View Post
And how many pallets will it take to get the same amout of usable material as the Home Depot board?
Perhaps I wasn't clear. I buy it from a pallet and crate company. They make customized pallets, crates, and shipping containers. So they have piles of wood stacked up, of all kinds of lengths, for them to turn into pallets and crates. I buy the boards BEFORE they turn them into pallets, not after, and not the scraps and shorts. I would guess about 1/2 of a quarter or a third of the boards are split and/or warped significantly. I wouldn't turn it into furniture, but it's fine to put bees in :) Still MASSIVELY cheaper than HD prices, even considering the time it costs me to trim, shape, sand and/or glue.
post #10 of 40 Old 12-08-2012, 06:13 PM

View Dave66's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I buy the boards BEFORE they turn them into pallets, not after, and not the scraps and shorts.
In your OP, you said "extras" which I thought meant extra pallets. Now, you're buying the boards they use to make the pallets. Are those boards all selling for $6.40 each? If they are, you still need to determine how many of their boards it will take (including any prep time, travel and transportation cost, etc) to equal the cost of a Home Depot board.

The decision is yours to make, but my experience is that those "deals" seldom save any money, and are a definite loser if you place any value on your time.
post #11 of 40 Old 12-08-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Yes, these boards are $6.20 each. At those prices, even if one out of every four were usable, I'd still be better off, as it would be cheaper and I could use the other 3 for either bonfire wood or scraps for small projects.

I know what you mean Dave, and I get your point. But I've already considered that, and I'm still making out like a bandit. HD's wood is whiteboard too (at least, at those prices listed above), while this wood is SYP, i.e. much better quality.
post #12 of 40 Old 12-08-2012, 09:08 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialkayme View Post
90% or so of the sides are finished. Some are rough cut, but still 3/4", and not the standard rough cut 1" thickness.

I did a test run with 11 boards. My 6' bed (plus tailgate) made it fit just right, with some ratchet straps. I'm sure there was a good amount of weight on the tailgate though, which would mean I'd be more interested in using a trailer next go around.

I didn't contemplate renting a van . . . I thought about renting an F-150 but the cost was too great to add any value over the trailer.

I checked rates on vans in my area, but the inside dimensions are only 9 feet long. In order to get the full 12' boards, I'd have to get a 14' box truck. That's $29.99 per day, plus $0.99 per mile. The 12' trailer is a flat $29.99 per day. I think I'd still be better off renting the trailer.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I buy it from a pallet and crate company. They make customized pallets, crates, and shipping containers. So they have piles of wood stacked up, of all kinds of lengths, for them to turn into pallets and crates. I buy the boards BEFORE they turn them into pallets, not after, and not the scraps and shorts. I would guess about 1/2 of a quarter or a third of the boards are split and/or warped significantly. I wouldn't turn it into furniture, but it's fine to put bees in :) Still MASSIVELY cheaper than HD prices, even considering the time it costs me to trim, shape, sand and/or glue.
You can let 3' of the boards stick out the back of the van with no problem. Just put on a red flag.

George
post #13 of 40 Old 12-08-2012, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Didn't think of that. But still, they charge mileage for trucks and vans (at least at uhaul). Uhaul quoted me $95 to rent a van for 5 hours, and based on the mileage I gave them (about 150 round trip). Enterprise will charge me $94 for the day, regardless of how many hours I use it, with unlimited mileage. I think most vans have a payload capacity in the neighborhood of 3,000 lbs, or the same as a trailer. Lowes and Home Depot offer trucks that are rentable in 15 min intervals, but only have a 1,500 load capacity. My pickup has more than that. Meanwhile, a 12' utility trailer cost $30 a day from uhaul, regardless of mileage, and can cary around 3,000 lbs. I found another trailer rental in my town that will do a similar trailer for $35 (if uhaul is unavailable) for the day, unlimited mileage.

I appreciate the help greatly, as I'm severely out of my element here. But if I have a pickup with a trailer hitch, why not use it? Why would I pay 3x the price to rent something more than a trailer and use my own truck? I ask sincerely, since I really don't know.
post #14 of 40 Old 12-21-2012, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help. I did a run yesterday and rented a trailer from Uhaul (12' double axle open trailer). The rep told me not to load more than 2,022 lbs on it. I estimated that if the boards weighed 45 lbs each (as indicated above), 40 boards should weigh 1,800 lbs. So I did a try run with 40 boards to see how it would work. My ranger pulled it just fine. To be honest, I didn't notice a difference between hauling just the trailer, or the trailer and the 40 boards. Of course, the hydraulic breaks built into the trailer helped, lol.

I think next run I may try 45 or 50 boards, to see how it handles. I don't want to push the envelope too far, of course. Also, with a current load of 40 boards, I may not need to do another run for a few months.

Again, thanks for all the help!
post #15 of 40 Old 12-21-2012, 06:35 PM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Take the money you would spend on renting a trailer, and buy one.
1200#'s in the bed and 3000#'s on the trailer.
A 3500# trailer, isn't rated to carry a 3500# load. 3500#'s is GVWR (trailer weight and load)

Just be sure to give yourself enough stopping room.
post #16 of 40 Old 12-21-2012, 07:20 PM

View troyd1976's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to troyd1976
What ranger do you have? do you have a class 3? is it 4wd with a 4.0? ive pulled a 5.0 mustang behind my old 03' level II with lift and 33" tires with a class 3 hitch on it, useing the uhaul car trailer. course i did tell uhaul it was a fiero i was pulling not a mustang.
ive also hauled 200bd feet easily in 4.0 4wd rangers, drop the gate you have 8' supported, i had 4' out the back, but some healthy strapping down and a red flag on the ends good to go. also done 12' footers about 100bd ft with the gate up..didnt feel as comfortable with the load that way. Both of these runs were red oak.
post #17 of 40 Old 12-21-2012, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Take the money you would spend on renting a trailer, and buy one.
I want to. Been looking at them at Lowes for a while, but the $1k price tag is a bit steep to swallow. Been watching craigslist for about a month, but haven't found anything (at least, nothing that is both 1) affordable and 2) not gone in the first 15 min it's posted).

Still working on it.
post #18 of 40 Old 12-21-2012, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyd1976 View Post
What ranger do you have?
Short Answer, I don't know.

2004 Regular Cab Edge, 4WD. I don't know if it's the 3.0 or the 4.0. I assume the 3.0. Any quick way to check?

I have no clue what class it is.

Sorry, truck ignorant here.
post #19 of 40 Old 12-21-2012, 08:08 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
How about this

Fits in the receiver of your truck:
http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Ext...ad_support.htm

also: http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-...by/DTA944.html

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #20 of 40 Old 12-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Weight limitations with that hardware.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode