Hardwood suppliers in DFW area of Texas? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By JBrianBaker

post #1 of 13 Old 06-28-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

View JBrianBaker's Photo Album My Photos
Hardwood suppliers in DFW area of Texas?

I'm new to the forum and attempted a basic search if this has already been answered but can anyone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area suggest a good hardwood supplier of both domestic and exotic species?

Thanks,
Jeff

Choose again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-28-2017, 03:13 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
http://sweeneyhardwoods.com/

If you are in for a road trip Phillips Forestry Products up by DeKalb is who i use but I am about 80 miles closer, but they have always been the best priced

Last fall I bought 665 bd ft of FAS cherry for under $2 per bd ft, actually I think it worked out to $1.51
post #3 of 13 Old 06-28-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
http://sweeneyhardwoods.com/

If you are in for a road trip Phillips Forestry Products up by DeKalb is who i use but I am about 80 miles closer, but they have always been the best priced

Last fall I bought 665 bd ft of FAS cherry for under $2 per bd ft, actually I think it worked out to $1.51
Wow! That's a hell of a price for FAS cherry! Last price I saw somewhat locally was $6 per bf! And it's only 2 hours 45 from me. I could do a round trip for about $30 in gas which is still cheaper than shipping. Thanks Catpower!

Choose again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-28-2017, 06:28 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Brazos Forest Products in Grand Parairie has one of the largest inventories of hardwood lumber.
Hardwood Lumber in Dallas on Goodnight Trail is very good and helpful to work with. This company will do any milling you may need before getting it to your shop.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #5 of 13 Old 06-28-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrianBaker View Post
Wow! That's a hell of a price for FAS cherry! Last price I saw somewhat locally was $6 per bf! And it's only 2 hours 45 from me. I could do a round trip for about $30 in gas which is still cheaper than shipping. Thanks Catpower!

I think it was sort of a bean counter thing, it was on sale for $3 per bd foot, I was going to get 500 bd ft but the counterman told me if I would take all 665 bd ft they would make me a deal as they had been sitting on it for quite a while.

But they have always beat the metromess prices, and are good troops to deal with

I made another good deal locally, I kind of stumbled into this deal a guy had cut a walnut tree up in 9/4 and 5/4 leaving the live edges on it the widest is 28 inches X 16 feet, and it is a pretty straight trunk, there is some spalting but I got it for $350. If I could sell it for Rocklers prices it would bring about $10,000

But I doubt if I would get that just going to build more furniture out of it, I am about to finish the cabinets I bought the cherry for, and I am ready to build something besides boxes, but the wife is real happy with her cherry kitchen, so if she is happy I am happy
post #6 of 13 Old 06-28-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Brazos Forest Products in Grand Parairie has one of the largest inventories of hardwood lumber.
Hardwood Lumber in Dallas on Goodnight Trail is very good and helpful to work with. This company will do any milling you may need before getting it to your shop.
Thanks Toolman50, I'll check them out. Maybe my Google-fu is weak but I didn't come across them when searching.

Choose again
post #7 of 13 Old 06-28-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

I also found McKinney Hardwood Lumber, http://www.mckinneyhardwoods.com/. Has anyone had any experience with them? They're an hour away from my location but seem to have a good supply though being new to hard woods I don't know if those prices are good or not.

Choose again
post #8 of 13 Old 06-29-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrianBaker View Post
I also found McKinney Hardwood Lumber, http://www.mckinneyhardwoods.com/. Has anyone had any experience with them? They're an hour away from my location but seem to have a good supply though being new to hard woods I don't know if those prices are good or not.
I've never used them, but their prices seem a little high, but if they just sell retail in small amounts I guess it would have to be a little high

I have plenty of room to store the lumber inside so i order it in larger quantity and that makes a big difference in the price

Here is another place you might check

http://sweeneylumber.com/

I have never bought any from them but have called to check pricing and they were pretty close to Phillips,but I would much rather drive to DeKalb then have to deal with the traffic in the ant pile
post #9 of 13 Old 06-29-2017, 05:46 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Catpower
I don't like traffic either, but Brazos keeps an impressive inventory of hardwoods.
Not as far as Dekalb. Is the wood in Dekalb kiln dried?

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #10 of 13 Old 06-29-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Catpower
I don't like traffic either, but Brazos keeps an impressive inventory of hardwoods.
Not as far as Dekalb. Is the wood in Dekalb kiln dried?

Yeah when I first started using them they were fairly small they have really grown in the last few years, some day I will check out Brazos if I am in the area

I worked in the metromess for about 35 years, about 20 at Dallas Plumbing then I went out on my own, we live about 40 NNE of you right up 78, my main mission now days it to see if I can stay on the farm for a month, and I am getting pretty good at it the only time I have to leave is when I go to the VA in Bonham monthly for blood thinner test
post #11 of 13 Old 06-29-2017, 07:52 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I second Brazos Forest Products. It's kind of in the neighborhood of Six Flags over Texas. They will have just about anything you could want.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-30-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the info. When I can take a long lunch during the week I'll check out Brazos Forest Products as their website says they're only open Monday-Friday. Tomorrow morning, Saturday, I'll make the drive to McKinney Hardwoods to get an initial small quantity of walnut, maple, and a small amount of purple heart so I can get started on some cutting boards.

Choose again
post #13 of 13 Old 07-03-2017, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

I checked out Brazos Forest Products today at lunch and came home with some walnut, hard maple, and purple heart. Definitely a lot closer than McKinney Hardwoods (20 minute drive vs an hour ten), plus the prices for hard maple and the purple heart were a LOT cheaper. Walnut was $7.47/bf, hard maple $3.57, and purple heart $6.50 vs McKinney Hardwoods at walnut at $8/bf, hard maple at $6.50, and purple heart at $10.50 so thanks everyone who recommended Brazos!
Toolman50 and Catpower like this.

Choose again

Tags
hardwood, hardwood species, supplier, suppliers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode