View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Harbor Freight settlement

You might be entitled to a refund.
http://www.macon.com/news/business/a...140533123.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-24-2017, 01:01 PM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
Such BS! What idiot would think the compare at price is anything but a retail list price that no one on earth actually pays.

HF got snowed.
sweensdv and GeorgeC like this.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-24-2017, 07:00 PM
Nine Thumbs

View Shop_Rat's Photo Album My Photos
Harbor Freight "stuff" is cheap enough for me to begin with. I don't look at "sale" or "compare at" prices anyway. If they got it, I want it, and it's at my price point, it goes home with me.

Besides, it'd take too much energy to go through the motions. Life's too short.

Another $000,000,000.02 worth of advice,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-24-2017, 07:58 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
There is always some lawyer somewhere looking to line their pockets with any little thing.
sweensdv likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-24-2017, 09:24 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
I might, if I add up all the stuff I bought there between 2011 and 2016, get back a couple 100 dollars.
But I've gotten my use out of them, and I definitely don't have the receipts.

As has been stated, some lawyer is hoping tens of thousand or millions of people will claim a few bucks each, of which he'll get 33%.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-25-2017, 12:28 AM

View Tree Hugger's Photo Album My Photos
EH that's small potatoes......I'm going to get a crazy amount of money from the VW Diesel settlement.
I don't have to let them fix it ( or buy it back) and would get nothing but I run the risk of having a non compliant unsellable vehicle someday if the start emission testing here.
I'm quite certain the tailpipe exhaust is cleaner than the air at my industrial workplace ( and they do a lot to clean the air but it only does so much).
I wish it meant some nicer equipment for me but the wife is retiring in a couple of months so our income will drop a good amount.
In the future we will all pay more for our HF goods as well as our VW's from this.
How did that joke go ...What do you call 10,000 lawyers at the bottom of the sea?
A good start!

Knot Stumped ...just confused once in a while.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-25-2017, 06:38 AM

My wife loves the department store Kohl's. She is a member of their frequent shoppers club and she gets their mystery scratch off bonus coupons and their Kohl's cash rebate on what she spends there. What I hate? The fact that two men's dress shirts are $110.00 if I walk in cold to buy them. But with her various discounts and Kohl's cash and mystery discount, the shirts at the register are only $40.00. And the cashier always announces that with your special discounts you saved $bazillion dollars. Mrs., who is very shrewd with figures, can't even keep track of the amount of the various discounts she gets at Kohl's. I just learned that I do not go there without taking her cards, coupons and cash certificates.

Harbor Freight is far easier to deal with and figure out. regular cheap price minus 20% coupon. or special item coupon, that happens to be 20% off most of the time. As for the freebies, I have a dozen tape measures, one in each car, one in the laundry room toolm box, two in the barn, etc. The free screw drivers, yes, a set in each vehicle and multiples in the house and barn. Flashlights, the same, probably 30 of them in vehicles, various drawers, shops, campers, sheds, etc. Got one hanging on a hook next to each barn and shed door for power outages. Sometimes, I do not even take the freebie, got enough of them.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-25-2017, 06:52 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzdreher View Post
Such BS! What idiot would think the compare at price is anything but a retail list price that no one on earth actually pays.

HF got snowed.
You are completely correct. Just another example of this idiotic/politically correct world some people want.

George
post #9 of 13 Old 03-25-2017, 09:12 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Guessing there will always be somewhere, groups/committees for their own personnel gain, to scam others into believing there is a way to take "free money". Be safe.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-25-2017, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Interesting comments. I don't shop at HF. I think there is a store in Bellingham which is about 45 minutes from my home but I have never been there. Don't own a single HF item. Doubtful I ever will.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-27-2017, 03:06 PM

Some folks avoid anything with HF on the lable. Some is low quality junk. But some of their stuff is the exact same as the name brand stores items at half or a third the price. Bought my daughter a combination wrench set at HF when she was dead set on tearing a machine apart to sell for scrap. (an old farmer gave her an old combine that had been sitting for 50 years. ) She beat the crap out of those wrenches with hammers and board and never busted a one. I noticed they had a nicer finish than my new craftsman stuff and also had a life time warranty. My HF wood lathe is exactly the same as one sold at a fancy wood working store, but cost a third as much.

It has a solid cast iron bed and variable speed, which makes it far superior to decades of over priced craftsman lathes offered over the past 40 years. Goat skin gloves are $6.00 a pair there. Here on the farm I go through three or four pairs a year. The Ace Hardware brand and the wells lamont and the HF gloves last the same regardless of price.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-27-2017, 04:50 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrys View Post
Interesting comments. I don't shop at HF. I think there is a store in Bellingham which is about 45 minutes from my home but I have never been there. Don't own a single HF item. Doubtful I ever will.
You are missing a lot if you do not shop HarborFreight. We just got one here about a year ago. Before that I had to go to the one in Pensacola (60 miles) or stop by the one in Dothan (110 miles) when I would go to and from Atlanta.

While there are many things there that I would not buy, there are also many things that are very good for what they are..

George
post #13 of 13 Old 03-27-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
You are missing a lot if you do not shop HarborFreight.

George
I don't disagree. I have most everything I need. Many of my larger pieces of equipment I purchased used from Craigslist. What I don't have are pieces I really don't need. Like I wouldn't mind having a scroll saw or perhaps a lathe. I can wait until one becomes available in a brand, model and a price I will like. I don't use enough consumables to make it worthwhile to drive to the nearest HF to save a few bucks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode