Hammock stand glue question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 07-19-2015, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

View Lowcountrygamecock's Photo Album My Photos
Hammock stand glue question

I'm building a bent wood hammock stand that requires cutting, gluing and clamping thin strips. I want to build it with cedar but can't find the lumber in the size I'm looking for so I may have to go with treated wood. So what glue can I use for treated wood? I keep reading that a lot of glues won't work with treated wood especially if it's really wet. I saw that gorilla glue might work but I have to glue 5 - 8' sections consisting of 8 strips each so it's going to take a lot of glue and gorilla glue will be expensive. Thoughts? What about if I do find cedar, what glue will work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-19-2015, 10:39 AM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
You'll be fine with titebond 3 on the cedar. Unless you allow to dry out not so much luck on the treated. If not in a hurry and can let the treated boards sit during winter you'll be fine for next spring..

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...943-Which-Glue
http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/r...cles_737.shtml
post #3 of 14 Old 07-19-2015, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

I don't think my wife will be patient enough to wait until spring. Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-19-2015, 04:27 PM

Paint leaves you a lot of options. Whats your longest length?
post #5 of 14 Old 07-19-2015, 08:31 PM

View michaelpugh's Photo Album My Photos
Reclaim some treated lumber. Someone is always replacing a deck somewhere.

wish I had a cool line like everyone else...
post #6 of 14 Old 07-19-2015, 08:41 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Gorilla glue isn't very good for that application. Treated wood will glue good as long as it is dry. You might try a small lumber company for your treated wood. They don't sell as much and often you can get some that is dry when you buy it. One thing you might consider using cedar is it isn't structurally very strong. Even though you may laminate it I still think it will break on you. If you can get it you might try white oak. It works well outdoors and is very strong. In any case whether you use dry treated wood, cedar or white oak Titebond III glue will do the job for you.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-20-2015, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

How about Cypress? The stands at the shop where we bought the hammock are made from Cypress. Not sure if I can find that either but figured I would ask while we're talking about gluing and wood strength.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-20-2015, 09:51 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Cypress would be stronger than cedar but only a little. It would be more prone to bend than break. Structurally it's about like the whitewood boards at the box stores.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-20-2015, 02:22 PM

View jdonhowe's Photo Album My Photos
I might be reading this wrong, but from the OP's description of the project- "bent wood" and "thin strips", the design could involve bent wood laminations. If so, and springback is a concern, than neither PVA (Titebond) or urethane (Gorilla) glues are good options, since they allow considerable joint creep (and therefore springback).

I'd recommend using a resorcinol glue, such as DAP Weldwood Resin glue- no springback, long pot life (esp. good for lamination builds), strong, and water resistant. I've used it on several lamination projects, and don't find it hard to mix or work with, and it gives great results. It does need fairly good matching surfaces for maximum strength, though.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-20-2015, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

That is correct on the bentwood laminations. Poor wording on my part the first time. So where would I find the product you're talking about?
post #11 of 14 Old 07-20-2015, 07:41 PM

He shouldn't have much spring back if his laminations are small enough and the glue cures.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-20-2015, 10:53 PM

You can get DAP Weldwood Plastic Resin glue on Amazon. Ace Hardware also carries it, and I get mine from my local old-fashioned hardware store, where you still buy screws and nails by the pound, and the floor is worn wood planks.

While thinner laminations will have less springback, it also depends on the degree of curvature- the greater the bend, the more likely springback. Curing of PVA or Gorilla glue doesn't prevent creep- it's inherent in their chemical structure. I haven't used epoxy for laminations, but from my reading, that and resorcinol (Weldwood resin) are the only two types generally used to prevent springback.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-21-2015, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Will the DAP weldwood work on treated wood?
post #14 of 14 Old 07-21-2015, 10:23 PM

I've never used Weldwood on treated wood, but as best I can tell from a quick search on the web, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, as long as the wood is dry. An applicable thread i came across is: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...essure-Treated

The main issue with PT wood is that it is often wet, and no glue will work if the wood is wet. Maybe, as michaelpugh suggested, you could reclaim somebody's deck wood. Just my .02 Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode