Halving 2” slabs/wood slices - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By John Smith_inFL
  • 1 Post By unburled

post #1 of 11 Old 04-19-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

View Eburrice77's Photo Album My Photos
Halving 2” slabs/wood slices

Hi- I just received several 2-2.5” thick walnut slabs and maple slices. They are all wide, too wide for a planer. Any thoughts on how to turn them into 1” thick? I don’t have a bandsaw. Am I out of luck??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-19-2019, 01:22 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
First Question:
Why do you want them thinner and do you have photos of the surfaces?

One possible solution is to find a local sawmill

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #3 of 11 Old 04-19-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

View Eburrice77's Photo Album My Photos
I plan to make cutting boards/charcuterie trays with them. Right now they are quite heavy and would be better thinner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 078732A2-4C66-4A51-94BC-F9B22411D2EE_1555691159300.jpg (384.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg B03A803F-58BB-48AC-8CFD-F189B1AACD5B_1555691174920.jpg (426.9 KB, 42 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-19-2019, 02:34 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
If you only have a few to cut go to your local hardware store and pick up a bow saw in the gardening department, as you saw into the round rotate it occasionally so you have a guide as you saw all the way through.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #5 of 11 Old 04-19-2019, 02:57 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
You can make a jig and rip the boards right down the middle. Then run them either through a band saw or a planer and then re-glue the edges you made when you ripped them. By gluing the edges you created when ripping and gluing them back together, the seam will not be noticed and the glue joint is stronger than the actual wood itself.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #6 of 11 Old 04-19-2019, 02:58 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
if you want to be a woodworking craftsman,
make you one of these. . . . .

35015 and Kerrys like this.

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --
post #7 of 11 Old 04-19-2019, 03:39 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
holding them is a problem ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eburrice77 View Post
Hi- I just received several 2-2.5” thick walnut slabs and maple slices. They are all wide, too wide for a planer. Any thoughts on how to turn them into 1” thick? I don’t have a bandsaw. Am I out of luck??

I would use my chainsaw, but make a jig to hold them securely. Sawing a round vertically on a bandsaw is dangerous unless it's held very securely AND OP has no bandsaw AND purchasing a long bow saw blade may prove too expensive for this short term application ... I donno?

Chainsaws are fairly plentiful in rural areas, and I own several in different sizes. You should have previous experience in their use, BUT it wouldn't be any different than bucking a typical firewood log.

The major issue is securing the slice for the cut. I'd use a large "L" shaped bracket screwed to the top of a large log, with my piece screwed to the open face of the bracket with "appropriate length" screws.... not so long that they will be in the saw path! It should go quite easily with a sharp chain ........

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 11 Old 04-19-2019, 04:40 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
as fresh as those rounds look, I wouldn't put any effort into the project until they've seasoned and you find out how many pieces they're going to crack into.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-20-2019, 12:46 AM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Hello Eburrice,

Looks like you got your hands on some great pieces of wood.

As you have probably gleaned from the other posters, there are many way to do this type of work. Of course, doing what I do, I would strongly second John Smith's recommendation of a "Frame Saw."

With your 4 pieces of wood you have two that will require a "ripping blade" and the rounds (aka "cookies" as some call them) will require a "cross-cut blade." Those are actually the easiest to cut either by a handsaw as Frank C rightfully suggested...or with a power tool like a chain saw which is a lot more dangerous if not use to them...and of course much more expensive to purchase.

On the point of making them thinner, that of course is an option. However, these appear to be very green pieces of wood. If you do slice them thinner, they are more prone to wrapping out of shape and/or splitting/checking, especially in the rounds. I can share that the thickness you have are about as thin as I go for cutting boards, yet the charcuterie trays are a more delicate item and would benefit from being thinner in most styles of them, but not all.

You can work with them green (of course) or wait for them to dry, but that all depends on your style of woodworking, skill sets and tooling methods.

There are some great posts here on the forum cover much of this. I can post links to them if you are interested or you can do a search yourself.

Good Luck,

j
post #10 of 11 Old 04-20-2019, 06:20 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
I would use my circular saw to cut round using my workmate to hold and rotate as I work round. Then use a hand saw.
johnep
post #11 of 11 Old 04-20-2019, 11:10 AM

View unburled's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Hi- I just received several 2-2.5” thick walnut slabs and maple slices. They are all wide, too wide for a planer. Any thoughts on how to turn them into 1” thick?
It'd be sad to waste the thick slabs. You could trade them for more appropriate and manageable sizes.
John Smith_inFL likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode