Had them last year, have them this year, Im tired of these Bas!@#%& - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 04-09-2012, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
The "Nerdy Woodworker"

View oldmacnut's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to oldmacnut
Had them last year, have them this year, Im tired of these [email protected]#%&

Last year we were invaded by the good old scary, large, small kid eating Wolf Spider. I could mow my yard, and be covered knees down with them, kinda like that Indiana Jones Movie.

They were in the house, everywhere, and in the shop.

Now this year, they showed up 2 months early, and also seem to be eating pretty well, as I was trying to chase one down friday night with a shovel, he seemed to be about 2" leg tip to leg tip.

ARRRRGGGGHHHH I hate spiders enough as it is, but now I have to seal my gloves, clean shop rags, respirator, and other items Ill wear in a tupperwear container, ontop of that, ive found some in my smaller project bins, so now I am leary about reaching into anything.

Napalm? seal shop in nasa plastic? what the hell am I going to do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rabida.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	42589  

It's all fun and games until someone loses the Walnut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-09-2012, 05:59 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Call an exterminator.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 16 Old 04-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Those are beautiful.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-09-2012, 06:09 PM
dat

View dat's Photo Album My Photos
they eat a lot of bugs, even though they are bugs themselves
post #5 of 16 Old 04-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
The two comments exterminator and they eat bugs are important but for different reasons.

The reason that the spiders are there are that have found a food source. So if you have an exterminator get rid of the food source the spiders will also be gone.

The thing that raises a red flag in my mind is, 'What are the spiders eating?'

I'm afraid that it may be termites.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-09-2012, 06:24 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
All I can say is atleast your a long way from me and you only have wolf spiders. They were like that here a few years ago but I have been slowly getting a grip on it. Now if I could just get rid of my Widows that are everywhere I'd be happy.

Exterminate there food supply and they will eventually leave. Killing spiders is not as easy as many think. They walk on the tips of the legs and they do not groom themselves as many bugs do. That creates a problem with how to kill them unless you actually spray them with the poison. Just putting a barrier has no effect on killing them.

I killed another 20 or so widow spiders just on the 16 chairs bar and 2 tables that stay on my patio, I still have the grill, smoker and fie pit to clean off. I routinely check anything before picking it up. It's a real PITA but a lot better then what it was 4-6 years ago.

Wasp and hornet spay kills on contact. It also works well for the spiders carrying the hundreds of babies on there back because you take out all at once.

Good luck.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-09-2012, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
The "Nerdy Woodworker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Those are beautiful.

I feel the need to smack you. The only good spider, is a dead spider.

post #8 of 16 Old 04-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Woodenboat Builder

View gstanfield's Photo Album My Photos
I'll sell you a nice house and shop in Wyoming :)

George

I Peter 2:17
post #9 of 16 Old 04-09-2012, 09:37 PM

View Jim West Pa's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Those are beautiful.
+2 on that one

Jist don't let 'm touch me

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for me; JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN SOLDIER. One died for my soul,the other for my freedom."

At birth, God bestowed each & everyone of us with the most important responsibility there is..................FREE WILL.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-09-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat View Post
they eat a lot of bugs, even though they are bugs themselves

Nu-uh dat.
Bugs are insects.
Arachnids are spiders.
Spiders are not insects.
And Arachnids are not bugs.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for me; JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN SOLDIER. One died for my soul,the other for my freedom."

At birth, God bestowed each & everyone of us with the most important responsibility there is..................FREE WILL.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim West Pa For This Useful Post:
vinnypatternmaker (04-11-2012)
post #11 of 16 Old 04-09-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacnut View Post
Last year we were invaded by the good old scary, large, small kid eating Wolf Spider. I could mow my yard, and be covered knees down with them, kinda like that Indiana Jones Movie.

They were in the house, everywhere, and in the shop.

Now this year, they showed up 2 months early, and also seem to be eating pretty well, as I was trying to chase one down friday night with a shovel, he seemed to be about 2" leg tip to leg tip.

ARRRRGGGGHHHH I hate spiders enough as it is, but now I have to seal my gloves, clean shop rags, respirator, and other items Ill wear in a tupperwear container, ontop of that, ive found some in my smaller project bins, so now I am leary about reaching into anything.

Napalm? seal shop in nasa plastic? what the hell am I going to do?

I recall readin in a Fox Fire book a while back OMC that Lavender and Osage oranges ( monkey balls) will drive spiders out of yer house.
It will also prevent them from comin into yer house.

post #12 of 16 Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 PM
I hate tools

View cocheseuga's Photo Album My Photos
The only solution is to set your entire shop, and about a six mile radius, on fire.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-10-2012, 02:59 AM

View bentwood's Photo Album My Photos
I live in North Central Texas so I have had Wolf and "Widders"in past years. So you fellers don't jump me over being a tree hugger, I want to tell you that since Clordane,Dursban and to a degree,Diozinon were pulled,horse pi$$ will kill more bugs than what's left. I quit wasting my money and went organic about 5 years ago. First thing that I noticed was more dirt dauber nests which I figured was just one more problem. Although I read in some of the organic info that daubers are preditors on spiders,it didn't ring true until I realized spider and dauber numbers started to decline. I busted a couple dauber nests and found spiders sealed up in them. Oh crap! How do you bottle feed baby daubers? As those deminished,new little lizard critters (i'm told they're gekos) went on the increase. The lizards are everywheres outdoors and do no harm outside of leaving what looks exactly like tiny chicken turds in places. I was worried early on that they would invade inside my house and force my wife to leave with the spiders because she's peterfied by snakes. Hasn't happened,one every 2 or 3 months. Now you can call me a tree hugger but I'm content with only a few bugs except,,,,,,,,,Hey,any of you guys that don't know what imported fire ants are? Give me your address and I will overnite some to you.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
The "Nerdy Woodworker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwood View Post
I live in North Central Texas so I have had Wolf and "Widders"in past years. So you fellers don't jump me over being a tree hugger, I want to tell you that since Clordane,Dursban and to a degree,Diozinon were pulled,horse pi$$ will kill more bugs than what's left. I quit wasting my money and went organic about 5 years ago. First thing that I noticed was more dirt dauber nests which I figured was just one more problem. Although I read in some of the organic info that daubers are preditors on spiders,it didn't ring true until I realized spider and dauber numbers started to decline. I busted a couple dauber nests and found spiders sealed up in them. Oh crap! How do you bottle feed baby daubers? As those deminished,new little lizard critters (i'm told they're gekos) went on the increase. The lizards are everywheres outdoors and do no harm outside of leaving what looks exactly like tiny chicken turds in places. I was worried early on that they would invade inside my house and force my wife to leave with the spiders because she's peterfied by snakes. Hasn't happened,one every 2 or 3 months. Now you can call me a tree hugger but I'm content with only a few bugs except,,,,,,,,,Hey,any of you guys that don't know what imported fire ants are? Give me your address and I will overnite some to you.
Ive got those dauber mounds all over my backyard, oh, and I am up near Sherman, just a straight drive up 75 from Dallas .

post #15 of 16 Old 04-10-2012, 11:09 AM

View cuneiform's Photo Album My Photos
I try to stay pretty green, but i had the same problem with the wolf spiders in my shop and had to use a pesticide. Ortho home defense from lowes works great. I applied once around the outside and inside perimeter of the shop and the doorways a year ago and havent had a spider since. Now if i could just get rid of the giant hornets...
post #16 of 16 Old 04-10-2012, 11:12 AM

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Wow I have those and I just stepped on one in my garage this morning, but Iíve never heard of them being that bad. I have a lot of Black Widows and maybe they are eating them to keep the population down.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode