Grizzly Saw Blade; Sharpen or Trash - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 10-18-2015, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

View EPAIII's Photo Album My Photos
Grizzly Saw Blade; Sharpen or Trash

I bought a Grizzly track saw and so far, I love it. But the blade is not the best. It is a 160mm x 20mm, 48 tooth carbide blade, with no brand name on it. It rips OK, but produces some edge damage when crosscutting plywood.

I spent about an hour trying to touch up the teeth by hand with a fine stone, but there was no improvement. In fact, I may have made it worse. I have a Freud blade on order and I think that will solve the problem. But I am wondering if the Grizzly blade is worth the cost of resharpening or if I should just keep it for rough work or even trash it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-18-2015, 07:33 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
how did it work initially?

The description says "splinter free cuts" :
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2015/main/265?p=265

It's a $20.00 blade, so I don't know how much to expect out of it. Probably a good blade for ripping as you say. A sharpening may cost as much as a new blade, so that's not economical .... unless they can sharpen it in a manner that will improve it's performance.

If the track has a vinyl edge to prevent splintering, it may have been damaged and it need to be replaced. Your new Freud blade has how many teeth?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 10-18-2015 at 07:39 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-19-2015, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

View EPAIII's Photo Album My Photos
The Freud blade I have on order:

Freud LU79R006M20 Perma-Shield Coated Thin Kerf Plywood and Melamine Saw Blade for Festool Saws, 20mm Arbor 160mm by 48-Teeth Hi-ATB

There are not a lot of 160mm blades with 20mm arbor size available. This one seems highly rated. Almost gotta be better than the Grizzly.

I don't mind a $15 or $20 charge to have a good, spare blade. But I wonder if that result is possible or likely if I send it off to be sharpened.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode