Green Wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 03-07-2009, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

View nblumert's Photo Album My Photos
Green Wood

I bought a bunch of poplar today at an auction, but didn't realize the bundle I was bidding on was all rough sawn green poplar. I got it home and unloaded it, but not sure what to do with it now. Are there places that I can take it to that will dry it for me? If not, what am I supposed to do with it at this point. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated.
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Chief pencil holder

View scribbles's Photo Album My Photos
You can air dry it, takes 2 year per inch, or call your local mills, or make a kiln, I would go for the latter if you are creative. If you air dry do some research on how to do it correctly, and watch for bugs.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-08-2009, 09:15 AM

View Rich Aldrich's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nblumert View Post
I bought a bunch of poplar today at an auction, but didn't realize the bundle I was bidding on was all rough sawn green poplar. I got it home and unloaded it, but not sure what to do with it now. Are there places that I can take it to that will dry it for me? If not, what am I supposed to do with it at this point. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated.
Nick
Make sure you have it stickered - piled with boards (1 x 1 1/2 or something like this) between the layers. The stickers need to be spaced about 18" to 24" apart). You want to make sure air gets around each board so it doesnt mold or rot. This is how you would pile it for air drying or even temporary storage until you find someone to dry the wood.

You need to have the wood stacked in a flat. Start out with stickers on the ground or floor to allow air under the stack. On the top of the stack, put more stickers and a layer of water proof material if it is stacked outside. Put weight on the top to keep the top boards from warping.

Typically, it takes 1 year per inch of board thickness to be air dried properly. In July 2006, I had some hard maple cut for a work bench. The boards for the top were cut 1 3/4" thick - needing 21 months drying time. I let it dry in a cold storage area stickered until October 2008. I should have weighted the top layers - didnt realize the top layers were warping.

The bench top really turned out good - 2 5/8" thick x 36" wide x 75" long. I do need to flatten it. The base came out good as well.

With pine, you need to "set" the pitch. The wood needs to be dried at elevated temperatures so the pitch will not bleed out after you are done making the project. I would not build cabinets, shelves, whatever out of pine that is not kiln dried.

Rich (The Yooper)
To the world, you might be one person, but to one person, you might be the world.

Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 03-08-2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Added bit about pine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-08-2009, 09:39 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know if this will help or not, but try checking out this thread.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f23/s...n-lumber-3103/
Hopefully this will help a little.
Ken

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #5 of 9 Old 03-08-2009, 10:37 AM

View Kirk Allen's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles View Post
You can air dry it, takes 2 year per inch, or call your local mills, or make a kiln, I would go for the latter if you are creative. If you air dry do some research on how to do it correctly, and watch for bugs.
Not sure what part of the country your in but I regulary air dry green lumber down to 13% in a year or less depending on the air circulation and wood species.

Many myths out there about air drying times and they fail to take into account board thickness and species.

I can take Eastern Red Cedar green and have it down to 13% in about a month outside in the wind.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-08-2009, 10:39 AM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Air drying wood

3 links from a discussion in the "forestry and milling" section on proper handling of green lumber/air drying. dirtclod has a couple good ones http://www.chilternsaonb.org/downloa..._of_Timber.pdf
http://nrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/rp/rp_nc228.pdf

I had one bookmarked too. Between these 3 I reckon there is about all you need to know on the subject
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr117.pdf
post #7 of 9 Old 03-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Chief pencil holder

View scribbles's Photo Album My Photos
I have never air dried softwoods, but with hardwood it always takes me about 16-18 months for 1" I must admit I have not done it a lot, and it is behind my shed without a lot of air circulation. In-between the shed and a fence.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-09-2009, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

View nblumert's Photo Album My Photos
wow guys. A lot of great information, Thanks. I want to use the wood pretty soon, and don't really want to wait 1+ years for it to dry. I went to my local woodcraft and they gave me a number of a guy to call about drying the wood. I talked to him this afternoon and he said he could dry the wood for me. He quoted me a price of $0.60 b/f I have no idea if this is a good price or not. What do you all think?
Nick
post #9 of 9 Old 03-09-2009, 08:48 AM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nblumert View Post
He quoted me a price of $0.60 b/f I have no idea if this is a good price or not. What do you all think?
Nick
Sound a little high to me...but if he does a good job and gets you in dry wood soon and you are satisfied with it then that is all that matters. I don't know how much you bought and for what price a BFT, but poplar sells for less than a $1 bft already dried and graded at most mills. So if you have less than that in it total you are doing OK.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode