Green wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 23 Old 02-22-2008, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

View bigredc's Photo Album My Photos
Green wood

I know this is a common topic. I want to be sure. I was able to get a bunch of rough sawn wood cheep. It's been in my garage about a month or so. I'm reading between 12%-15%. From what I remember I think someone said that is at the top of the scale to be able to use it. But I also remember something about 5%-7% I think. I want to une some of it now. What's the general consensus. (I think I even spelled that right)
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-22-2008, 02:14 PM

View mdlbldrmatt135's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Yahoo to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Skype™ to mdlbldrmatt135
5-7% is the most optimal.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-22-2008, 02:33 PM

View Marko's Photo Album My Photos
Well where's your sense of adventure Big Red? Come on,,,,,it's FRIDAY!!!!!

I didn't see your location.The revelance is stability.I live in North Carolina and for this time of year 12%-14% is considered stable MC.I'm not sure of the technical term,guy's please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I'm speaking of EMC-Equilibrium Moisture Content-.When wood will not dry any more unless the air outside (humidity)dries more.Of course KD'ing will bring you down more.If I can find the article I'll post it.In case you don't know FSP=Fiber Saturation Point

For some odd reason the table that goes with the info below didn't attach but if your environment where the wood is stacked is 70-80 humidity then 12-15% would be accurate according to the chart.Alittle off topic but great info as it is. http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/for/for55/for55.htm

Wood will seek an equilibrium moisture content (EMC) in relation to the relative humidity (RH) and temperature of its surroundings. That is, as wood is dried below its FSP, the amount of moisture leaving the wood will be determined by the relative humidity of the atmosphere surrounding the wood. Table 1 shows the EMC over a range of humidities. For wood to air dry, the moisture content of the air must be less than that of the wood.

Last edited by Marko; 02-22-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 02-22-2008, 05:43 PM

View arkyrick's Photo Album My Photos
IMHO Great reference material Marko Thanks!
post #5 of 23 Old 02-22-2008, 06:17 PM

you are very welcome! I new I saved that article for "some day".Half the in there I do not understand but if it were written in plain english I'd have eaten it up....I have no reason to venture into the scientific analisys of drying wood, it bores me to some degree,and doesn't motivate me one bit.Now, tell me it has to be at 6% MC and I can do that.Save the rest for the rocket guys . Mark
post #6 of 23 Old 02-22-2008, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Marko. I picked the driest one and milled it. It's like 5%-7%. That's very interesting about the board can only dry as much as the surrounding air will let it. I never thought of that besides the obvious. I knew if it 90% humidity it won't dry very good. I'm in Pa. it cold and dry now. I want to build a maple coffee table for my mother. I already made one with spalted maple and she didn't care for that. She just want's nice clear maple. This board I just did looks beautiful but I'm not sure if she will like it.

post #7 of 23 Old 02-22-2008, 07:36 PM

Ya know........I have always been partial to Ambrosia Maple,like the one you've got there.But this past summer I had 1000bf milled and bought from the local sawmill.Needless to say most of it is gone but I still have about 200bf in bits here and bits there,a pile here and a pile there......well,I think I bought so much that it's actually made me ill to look at it.I see it in my sleep,i smell it when I should not.It's really done a psychological number on me.Oh,and when I get into the curly figured parts of it I have friggin nightmares......be careful,those streaks'll drive you batty!
That is a nice piece you got there...a little figure in it too!
Your Mom actually said she did not like the coffee table you made her? My god brother I feel your pain! Let's make mum proud this time,I'll help....maybe we'll all help! Post pic's and we can make it happen and make her happy! Mark

Last edited by Marko; 02-22-2008 at 07:40 PM.
post #8 of 23 Old 02-22-2008, 08:41 PM

View Capt Crutch's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredc View Post
I want to build a maple coffee table for my mother. I already made one with spalted maple and she didn't care for that.
Sounds to me like your Mom needs a nice slab of 10/4 walnut with all the sapwood and wane intact! Where's George Nakashima?

Last edited by Capt Crutch; 02-22-2008 at 08:45 PM.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-22-2008, 08:46 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I was able to get a bunch of rough sawn wood cheep.
You are killing me Chris . "I'll help....maybe we'll all help!" You are kinda new here Mark, you gotta check this out. http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2629 ....here is another quote. "I got this wood cheap"

I swear I gotta start hitting your cheap wood gettin' places and bring it back to my shop where I sell it for a premium. Go brother, keep buying cheap wood eventually you will find something Mom likes . Mark called it ambrosia maple with some figure.
post #10 of 23 Old 02-22-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Crutch View Post
George Nakashima?
Who ?
post #11 of 23 Old 02-23-2008, 08:28 AM

View arkyrick's Photo Album My Photos
Laminate a Marijuana leaf in the top of that coffee table, I'll bet that will get her attention
post #12 of 23 Old 02-23-2008, 09:03 AM

View Capt Crutch's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
Who ?
My Dad knew George. Said he was a really nice man. (We used to live nearby, and my Dad was plant engineer in a paper mill in the same town where George lived.)

Dad was a woodworker, and I think he admired the way George thought about wood. I think they thought a lot alike, that way.

Last edited by Capt Crutch; 02-23-2008 at 09:06 AM.
post #13 of 23 Old 02-23-2008, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Yo Daren. I'm going to try again. I have about 8 boards left of maple that I got when I got that spalted maple. I don't know what I'm going to get till I mill it. One that I thought was maple turned out to be poplar, I guess it's greenish. I'm going to get a picture of it. My Mother would be happy with the kind of maple you get at home Depot. Just plane boring wood. I'll be damned if I'm going to buy wood when I have a bunch already. If I would have just given the other table to her she would have said thank you, and that would be the end of it. But I had a feeling it wasn't her taste. So I told I didn't her not to take it if she didn't like it. She want's something more like this.

I've been watching Wood Works and he has built some stuff that I will be able to incorporate the joints and stuff into this one. I don't know if I'll do the drawer.
Marko this board is called Ambrosia? Is that a species or is like spalted just different? What did you do with a 1000 bf of it. Was that all one job?
I live a little more than an hour from New Hope Pa. were George's school is. They have tours on Saturdays. I'd like to take a ride up there at some point.

Last edited by bigredc; 02-23-2008 at 09:57 AM.
post #14 of 23 Old 02-23-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
this board is called Ambrosia? Is that a species or is like spalted just different?
There has been a little discussion about it here recently. http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3050
post #15 of 23 Old 02-23-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Crutch View Post
he admired the way George thought about wood.
Me too, I guess you looked in my gallery and saw I do some Nakashima knock offs, dang I was trying to goad you into chastising me for asking "Who?"
post #16 of 23 Old 02-23-2008, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Daren
After looking at that other thread I'm thinking this might be ambrosia maple not poplar. What do you guys think?
post #17 of 23 Old 02-23-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Daren
After looking at that other thread I'm thinking this might be ambrosia maple not poplar. What do you guys think?
It's hard to tell from the last picture, but you may have a little of everything. The first pics are definitely ambrosia maple. The last picture looks like mineral stained silver maple (?) or maybe mineral stained poplar. I think Mark just got done sawing a whack of poplar that was mineral stained, when he checks in he might have a better idea.
post #18 of 23 Old 02-23-2008, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Here's another look. It's twisted real bad. I didn't notice yesterday. That wouldn't happen overnight would it? It's at about 7%. My basement is about 60 deg.
post #19 of 23 Old 02-23-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Here's another look. It's twisted real bad. I didn't notice yesterday. That wouldn't happen overnight would it? It's at about 7%. My basement is about 60 deg.
It could happen pretty quick if it was still wet and brought indoors in the winter. Yea I am going to have to say the pictures of the last board is poplar, that's my guess from here. How much of the ambrosia maple did you get? Enough for a project ?
post #20 of 23 Old 02-23-2008, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

I have about 20- 25 bf. What are you thinking? Two of the boards are book matched, they would make a nice table. I brought that poplar in from the garage yesterday morning. I completely forgot about letting stabilize to the heat. My garage is probably 40 deg and the basement is 60. I clamped them to each other to flatten them out. Will that work? The ambrosia I brought in 2 weeks ago. I just found some bugs that look like ants in one of the ambrosia boards. I don't think it's a termite. It looked like a black ant. There was probably 10 living in the board. I cut that piece off and got it out of the house. The rest looks fine. I have some more maple in the garage, it was at about 15%. I'll make some room and bring some of that in and check it out in a week or two.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode