Great DIY Edge Sander - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 9Likes

post #1 of 13 Old 01-23-2020, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

View wjfeeney@hotmail.com's Photo Album My Photos
Great DIY Edge Sander

This looks like a great, fun project that will fill a need for my shop. It looks challenging for a newbie but I was thinking I will eventually need an edge sander so I thought someone else might also be interested in this build. Here is the link

Bill F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-23-2020, 04:35 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I gave him a thumbs up/like on You Tube

I liked his style of presentation 100% compared to other You Tubers who want to tell their life's story or speak in a radical British accent .... (undecipherable) or are so soft spoken they need 3 mics, or are just "lame" and boring. This has excellent graphics, is very well done and the design and workmanship is first rate!

The end result is for 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood and a day's work you can make a nice edge sander that would cost about $700.00 retail. So what it's made of plywood, it won't rot away in your shop or rust if you live in Florida. Woodgears should be this good!
JamesTinKS likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 13 Old 01-24-2020, 02:51 AM
nonmember

View Woodknack's Photo Album My Photos
I have the plans for this sander but don't know if I'll ever build it, my shop is crowded as it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-24-2020, 09:54 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Speaking only for myself, I enjoy Woodsmith magazine. This sander was featured in one of the recent issues. I get a lot of great ideas from the magazine, and also dream about building some of the larger projects, like their rotating router table, their CNC machine, etc.

I also enjoy their television shows on PBS.

As a business, Woodsmith is like one big self-pollinating organism. The stuff they feature in the magazine may be shown on TV or vice versa. Magazine articles are collected to become books or plans for sale, etc. The TV show drives buyers to the website, etc.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-24-2020, 10:46 AM

View AmishElectricCo's Photo Album My Photos
I watched that video a few days ago - probably one of the best I've ever seen as far as production value. That guy did an excellent job between the CAD screens, video presentation, and narration. Very surprised that he doesn't have a lot more videos out there.

Agree with @Tool Agnostic - I really like Woodsmith. I'm actually building a table saw cart based on plans downloaded from their site. Didn't know they have a tv show as well, I'll have to be on the lookout for that.
woodnthings likes this.

⚡ Anthony
post #6 of 13 Old 01-24-2020, 10:56 AM

View plywoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
I like this idea, thank you for share.
i will make like in future for my shop

Thank you
post #7 of 13 Old 01-24-2020, 12:31 PM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishElectricCo View Post
I watched that video a few days ago - probably one of the best I've ever seen as far as production value. That guy did an excellent job between the CAD screens, video presentation, and narration. Very surprised that he doesn't have a lot more videos out there.

Agree with @Tool Agnostic - I really like Woodsmith. I'm actually building a table saw cart based on plans downloaded from their site. Didn't know they have a tv show as well, I'll have to be on the lookout for that.
Woodsmith shop is on PBS station.

Gary

Woodworking is like wetting myself....Only I know that warm feeling!
post #8 of 13 Old 01-24-2020, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

View wjfeeney@hotmail.com's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by plywoodworking View Post
I like this idea, thank you for share.
i will make like in future for my shop

Thank you
I’ve gotten a lot of help and knowledge from others on this site and was glad to be able to share this find.
JamesTinKS likes this.

Bill F.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-24-2020, 12:50 PM

View homestd's Photo Album My Photos
I'll never build it but, it's hands down the best instructional video I've ever watched. This guy is so multi-talented and covers all the bases in a very logical and precise manner. All YouTubers should see this. Thank you wjfeeney.
woodnthings likes this.

post #10 of 13 Old 01-24-2020, 01:53 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
It is a very good video, I just wonder how all wood tools stand up in unheated shops, that is a lot of work only to find the wood has swollen and the adjustments are ceased up. There is a reason tools are manufactured mostly from metal.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #11 of 13 Old 01-24-2020, 02:46 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Reasons machines are made of metal ......

It's about production quantities. Stampings and casting are far easier to mass produce than wood pieces with possible exceptions to something CNC made. Welding can be automated as can surface grinding and boring. Mass is a big consideration for reducing vibration and stability.
Not to say that wood can't be made massive and substantial, but metal is better for larger quantities. Wear is another factor, like table surfaces. In the video shown above he laminates HPl for the table surfaces subject to wear, a good choice.

For a home shop on a budget, that DIY wood edge sander would be perfect. The same concepts could also be used in a platen or panel sander. I though using the router to round the drum was very creative. Then shimming each side to partially taper it was also slick.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #12 of 13 Old 01-24-2020, 10:05 PM

View JamesTinKS's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
or speak in a radical British accent
Having hearing which is poor and getting worse; I feel your pain. Closed captioning helps. Sometimes I will slow down the playback speed too.

JamesTinKS
I am a professional amateur woodworker.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-24-2020, 11:35 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
I'll post something about hearing aids elsewhere.

Rich
Just a dumb old paper boy from Brooklyn, NY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode