Grand Central Table - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 10-26-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

View Arbee's Photo Album My Photos
Red face Grand Central Table

Based on an map that Swedish designers Sanna Lindström and Sigrid Strömgren had from NY's Grand Central Table, itself folded into a shape similar to a baseball diamond, they created this table.

I say similar above because a baseball diamond has only straight lines while this design features one side having an arc so that when opened, a circle is created.

https://sigridstromgren.se/2010/04/07/grand-central/

Does anyone have some idea about what material the 22 pieces of wood (or MDF) here could have been coated with that can accept the folds to allow the table to work, yet be strong enough to resist breakage across the years and openings/closings of the table and these presumptively weakest bending points?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-27-2019, 02:28 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
The method of construction does not seem to be mentioned in any of the articles about it. From what I can see this was a concept design, I don't believe it was ever actually put into production so reliability was not yet a factor.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #3 of 4 Old 10-27-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

I think (no pun intended) that you may have "hit the nail on the head" as it regards to possible limited durability of whatever binds the pieces together in the concept piece, across time and multiple folds.

I'm thinking that butler hinges are a far more practical way to go here.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-02-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

I am investigating a way of doing this--that will most likely "crash and burn" -- of taping two pieces of wood together with Gorilla Tape TM riding up the seam, and then stapling the tape on either side, as the tape is stronger against lengthwise shear than its adhesive. I may router out the thickness of the tape and staples so lays flush.

If this proves to have merit perhaps I will then cover the table with this stuff, cut for each piece, although at 1/16" it may be too thick to easily fold the table given all its folds when in compact form.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-16-in-...3003/202090190

or maybe super industrial cleanable wall paper....

I need to get a better handle on the tape's expansion coefficients (i.e. how much it resists widening, or for that matter lengthening) over time and pull force.

Last edited by Arbee; 11-02-2019 at 06:49 PM.

Tags
grand central table

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode