Grain Removal: PlasticWood vs CrystaLac? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 08-08-2016, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

View ItsFlybye's Photo Album My Photos
Grain Removal: PlasticWood vs CrystaLac?

Hello all. I am redoing my kitchen cabinets. A few questions about getting a nice smooth finish:

1) I cant find CrystaLac locally. Can I get away with applying PlasticWood or should I just order CrystaLac online? I am not sure which is really best to get into the grain to sand to a nice smooth look for painting.

2) I did a few coats of paint to try to get a smooth look, but even after resanding and repainting much grain is still there. Can I just sand the top coat, apply one of these fillers, sand, and repaint? Or should I sand back down to the wood?

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-08-2016, 10:17 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Before doing anything you should first do a thorough cleaning of the cabinets with detergent and a wax and grease remover. Cooking oils light enough you can't feel can cause the new finish to peal off. Even skin oils from handling can cause adhesion problems.

Since you are going over finished wood I would fill the grain with bondo. Use a broad knife and spread it as thin as you can and sand it with an orbital sander. Try not to sand too much or you will bring the grain back.

If the cabinets have a lacquer finish on them you could use a lacquer primer to fill the grain. A couple coats sanding between coats should do it.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-08-2016, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

View ItsFlybye's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Before doing anything you should first do a thorough cleaning of the cabinets with detergent and a wax and grease remover. Cooking oils light enough you can't feel can cause the new finish to peal off. Even skin oils from handling can cause adhesion problems.

Since you are going over finished wood I would fill the grain with bondo. Use a broad knife and spread it as thin as you can and sand it with an orbital sander. Try not to sand too much or you will bring the grain back.

If the cabinets have a lacquer finish on them you could use a lacquer primer to fill the grain. A couple coats sanding between coats should do it.
Ya yes Ive been cleaning the cabinets first then sanding down to bare wood and then applying paint. The old paint is pretty bad and some doors have flaking paint, so Ive decided to just start from scratch.

But I had painted 2 doors already with Behr laytex paint and thats when we decided we would really like to try that smoother look. I still have another 15+ cabinet doors to go. I just never thought about using regular bondo for the job!

Alright so for the first 2 cabinets Ive done I'll sand, bondo, sand, then paint again. And for the other cabinets I havent touched I'll sand down to wood, bondo, sand, then finally paint. Thx and Im hoping for the best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode