Got Plans. How do I Start - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 08-23-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

View Roybrew's Photo Album My Photos
Got Plans. How do I Start

Got my plans drawn up to build a small book case that is 46" high 44" wide and 11" deep with 2 shelves. I've got about 40 board feet of 3/4" black Walnut, something like that me thinks. Looks like enough, again I think.?

I know this sounds stupid, but how do I get the most out of this miss match of sizes? I'm really having trouble getting started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-23-2018, 09:36 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roybrew View Post
Got my plans drawn up to build a small book case that is 46" high 44" wide and 11" deep with 2 shelves. I've got about 40 board feet of 3/4" black Walnut, something like that me thinks. Looks like enough, again I think.?

I know this sounds stupid, but how do I get the most out of this miss match of sizes? I'm really having trouble getting started.
Make a cut list, start laying it out with the lumber you have, takes a little trial and error. You will have waste, no getting around it.

I also like to get a good look at the wood, grain, and look for anything that looks exceptionally nice, or exceptionally bad, and find ways to either display the good ones, or hide the bad ones.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-24-2018, 12:04 AM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Start by getting 4 boards 12” X 48”. This is a little longer and wider than needed, but gives you room to get all 4 boards square and ready. You will probably need to glue-up to get your widths.
If you want a back in your bookcase, you will need a 1/4” extra for the width of your two sides. (11 1/4”)
Two shelves and a top? Or just two shelves?
Mark the spacing for your shelves and cut your 1/4” + deep dados for your shelves.
44” is pretty wide for shelving for heavy books.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-24-2018, 12:15 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You make a cutting ticket and cut the biggest parts first working you way down to the smallest pieces.

I think you would be better off getting walnut plywood to build the box out of and just face the front with solid wood. Solid wood is prone to have wood movement and building a cabinet some of it may shrink where other parts don't and this could cause the wood to split.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-24-2018, 10:44 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Some good suggestion so far ...

Your boards are too narrow for this project, based on the photo. You gave no width dimension or lengths, so it's hard to tell. Regardless, to get the widths you need, you'll have to glue them edge to edge and possibly butt join them... I donno? This will result in a patchwork of grains and patterns that in my opinion will not look good. Plywood would be a better choice, more stable, straight grain direction and no glue joints showing.

You can glue strips on the edges to cover the raw plywood. You can use a 1/4" plywood back, recessed in a rabbet and with 1/4" shorter shelves.
I would save this wood for smaller projects like keepsake boxes, jewelry boxes, a treasure chest, etc.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 11 Old 08-24-2018, 11:42 AM

View Ron_J's Photo Album My Photos
Personally, I like the look of a project that is pieced together from different pieces of boards. But you will have a lot of waste. I won't be surprised if you find you don't have enough to do what you want. If you hold tight to 11" deep, you might need 3 pieces to achieve that (after you joint the edges and square them up).

BTW...I like the idea of the black walnut. I'll bet it makes a very attractive finished project.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-24-2018, 11:54 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
It's basically 4' square, 1' deep, that's 16BF just for the top, bottom, and sides. Each shelf will be about 4BF. So you are sitting at 24BF with 2 shelves before any trim, facing, etc. Three of those boards are less than 4' long and wont be usable at all for this, 3 more are iffy, but may be 44" long. Add 30% or more for waste and you are going to be really tight on material.

What are you going to do for the back?

Last edited by shoot summ; 08-24-2018 at 11:56 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-24-2018, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Wow thanks for advice and input. Yes it will be a challenge. I don't want to but end pieces, but maybe I can where it will be inconspicuous. It always surprises me how much wood it takes to build something. I knew I'd have a lot waste from this rough sawmill lumber, but at a buck a BF I couldn't pass it up. I didn't have any plan in mind for it when I bought it, last year. Well I wonder if that feller has anymore? Great excuse to go back and get some more along with some sassafras, cherry or what ever. My wife wanted the shelf anyhow. I will see what I can do with what I have, and after I exhaust all of it I'll go get more. Great practice.

I'll post pics as I progress. Many thanks to you all for the advice. Roy
post #9 of 11 Old 08-24-2018, 06:58 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
If several of the boards are just short of your original plan, I recommend altering the plan a little bit to accommodate the lumber you have on hand. If the finished project turns out to be 42” X 40” it should still be just fine.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #10 of 11 Old 08-30-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Picking at a little at a time. Lot of looking and measuring before I just go on cutting and piecing. Got the top and side panels glued and clamped. Got some good pieces for box making later. Maybe I can butt join some of the bigger pieces for back in the shelves where they won't be seen? Still looking at using a walnut plywood for the back, but that takes all the fun out of it. Plus ouch! they don't give that stuff away. I know I'm a cheap sucker. Got a few pieces I can get my face boards out of, I think. Going to go raid the sawmill and get some more. I might have it done by Christmas.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-30-2018, 09:53 PM

View SwampRat's Photo Album My Photos
I think it is looking good, buddy. The back doesn't need to be super sturdy, you could rip those boards for thickness to make ~2/2 stock from the ?? ~5/4 - 4/4 Stock, then edge-laminate to make the back. Hardboard back would work as well, but then you wouldn't have the fun of laminating and planning out the back yourself

Best Regards,
Casey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode