Woodworking Talk banner

Got lucky.....

672 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Rebelwork 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm always on the look out for a double pedistal tables and tops...Got lucky a few houses down they were throwing an oak double pedistal and a I believe a sold oak top away. IM always looking for some to refinish or for the pedistal for poker tables....

Lucky it's ice this morning or trash would have been here and the pickers before daylight..

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That was a nice find!

I wander often, but rarely do I beat out the "professional" pickers. There's usually nothing great, but every now and then I find a treasure. Rarely worthy furniture, more often things like mowers, metal shelves, old vacuums or shampooers, etc. I fix things up, and if I can't use them, give them out to whoever wants them.

#4 ·
I'm starting to understand this. Grandparents give there kids furniture. The kids give he furniture to there kids. I'm my neighborhood it's mixed between retired and new couples. New couples with kids still in school aren't looking to give but get rid of furniture to upgrade to newer or better looking furniture. Not everyone knows the value of this older furniture. Mainly looking at the cheaper painted stuff.

I'm gonna start a wandering the streets before daylight and see if I can find some finds.

#6 ·
Actually older furniture does. Solid oak furniture is wanted these days. My table is a Starburst oak table with the turtle looking base. My chaIrs on the other hand ard benfranklin. The better kitchen chairs they sold.. those chairs were $249 each in the 90's. The Starburst is worthless as it was

The base is a few hundred if I bought one off the net. The table didn't have the leaf, but that's no problem. I use to makee tables. I may use the table myself once refinished or use the base on my poker tables. Either way it a win win for me...

#7 ·
Around here, you'd never find that. You aren't allowed to put out anything large for the trash. If it doesn't fit in the can, you can't throw it away. A couple of times a year, you can schedule for large-item pickup and it has to be big. Refrigerators and couches, that kind of thing. I don't think I've ever seen anything remotely worthwhile out at the curb.

#8 ·
Sign in antique store- Grandma bought it. Mom threw it away. I bought it back.
Short story- we bought our daughter's Strawberry Shortcake lunch box minus the thermos. No telling what it cost new but we paid $25 for it. She got it as a gift several years ago. Her boys didn't want to carry it to school.

#9 ·
Every once in a while people do leave out crappy cabinets and the like around town. I don't want the furniture as it's almost always waterlogged already but the hardware great to have as decent hardware is expensive. I don't care if I look like a wacko standing on a corner with a drill gun taking the hinges and knobs off something it's worth it to me.

-T

#10 ·
I would like to get some furniture pieces in need of repair. Got nothing to do so time not a problem.

Haven't decided what to do with the table and pedistal yet. Considering for a 9 man +dealer table. I always put folding legs on these but I may make one with using this pedistal...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.