Good Wood Selection for Bathroom - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 09-02-2008, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

View CharlesC's Photo Album My Photos
Smile Good Wood Selection for Bathroom

I am about to design a bathroom vanity for my new bathroom. I have limited woodworking experience, but I'm ready to tackle anything.

My bathroom is going to be very white, so I am looking for a finished piece that is dark. What wood would you all suggest for use in a bathroom? Does it really matter as long as I put on plenty of coats of polyurethane afterwards?

Also to consider is the trim work around the bathroom. I have some stained glass windows and sliding doors. They will also need some trim work, which might look nice if it matches the vanity. I would of course prefer to just buy stock trim, I'd rather not have to cut the profile myself, nor have it custom cut. That will depend on what you all think about the vanity.

Thanks for the input, I look forward to visiting this forum more often, and hope to hear back!

Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-03-2008, 11:05 AM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
Lots of good, dark woods out there. I'd check this site: www.exoticlumberinc.com and see if they have something you like. Also do some searches online for other dark woods and check out the Wood Encyclopedia from your local library. You'll find plenty of beautiful woods that you can then narrow down to a few choices. Ask here to see what's the easiest to work with, or will yield the best results for the type of work you're planning to do and make your final choice with that information in mind. Then see if you can find something local to you, or a place that sells the wood and will ship it to you.

There will be several options for finishing but some woods will weather moisture better than others. A good wood dealer should be able to help you figure some of that out, as will the Wood Encyclopedia I recommended. You can also ask here as there are quite a few experts that will be able to help you as well.

FrankP
post #3 of 5 Old 09-03-2008, 12:00 PM

View Tweegs's Photo Album My Photos
FrankP has some good suggestions for the wood selection, go with it.

I built a vanity for my former home using white oak. It still looked new after two years of service with only 2 coats of poly. I had little or no movement in the wood while in the most heavily used bathroom in the house. 3 coats would be more than enough I think.

Food for thought:
When I made mine, I used 3/4" oak plywood to form the carcass, there was enough left over to create the bottom of the vanity below the sink. Overkill, yes, but it will never sag

I also used these hinges http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3982
easy to install and gave a little wiggle room as they are adjustable.

Good luck with your project and do keep us posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-07-2008, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

View CharlesC's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the comments!

My wife found what she wants. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

http://www.potterybarn.com/pbimgs/ab...0041/img3l.jpg
post #5 of 5 Old 09-07-2008, 10:13 PM

View joesdad's Photo Album My Photos
Curse you Pottery Barn.

Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them.
-Albert Einstein :http://armandj.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode