Good Haul! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 01-08-2014, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

View Gotspiccoli's Photo Album My Photos
Good Haul!

So my wife asked that I sign up for a garage sale site on face book so she can post things we want to sell as a Man so we don't get jerks trying to pull a fast one on her as a lady (who knows). Anyways I was on my phone and bam I see a post from someone selling Nails and Screws. Decent quality stuff like deck master. Guy probably does summer work and had left over stock. Anyways I asked what they would take for the whole lot. They offered a price that was way lower than what I would pay at retail so I grabbed the oppurtunity! Well some of the stuff I will never use like Duplex nails so I was thinking I could try and sell them off to reduce my costs of the stuff I will use. I did an internet search and I am gettting prices all over the place. Was just wondering if anyone on here would know the typical retail value of a 5lb box of duplex nails would be (Grip Rite 2 3/4). I think I have about 14 boxes of them. Was wondering what the retail is so I can make a good offer to people. I will try and post some pics of the haul. Over all I think I have like around 40 boxes :)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1012816_10203157623798337_633916685_n.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	86542  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1526542_10203157622118295_2101787810_n.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	86544  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Seems like it would be pretty easy to just stop by Home Depot or lowes to get a retail price....sounds to me like your hoping someone on here will bite on the offer to sell.....

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #3 of 10 Old 01-08-2014, 09:24 PM

View Jcahill4's Photo Album My Photos
Or google it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-08-2014, 09:59 PM

View Duane Bledsoe's Photo Album My Photos
Man, that much of just nails and screws? Who has that just laying around? Looks like a lot has never been opened. I'd be wondering if it had been stolen prior to you buying it. I can't tell by looking if any of it has been opened or not. I'm a contractor for a living and I don't have that much myself?

Everything I make from wood is useful. I can soak up spills with the sawdust, and keep warm burning the rest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Duane Bledsoe For This Useful Post:
frankp (01-09-2014)
post #5 of 10 Old 01-08-2014, 10:04 PM

View Old Skhool's Photo Album My Photos
I've never had a problem returning unopened boxes. Hmm
post #6 of 10 Old 01-09-2014, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

1st off I post on here about alot of things. If someone wanted to make an offer then I would not object but it was not my intention. I think you need to ease up on the pointer fingers.

2nd yes I was concerned about theft also but then I found out the wife is close friends with my wifes sister. I checked in with her and she said they where good people. Not that it makes it 100% certain but it certainly eases up my concerns enough to make an offer.

3rd 2 of my wifes cousins are contractors. I looked online but the prices (as stated in the post) are all over the place so I could not figure it out easily. I will be checking out Home Depot tomorrow but just wanted to see what professionals pay cause I dont want to insult my wifes cousins. I see them going for $10 a 5 lb box but at the same time $30 for a 50lb bx and something just does not add up. Normally bulk rating does not equate to that large of a discount.

Thanks for all the advise!
post #7 of 10 Old 01-09-2014, 03:41 PM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
Go check with your local big box for their retail price in your area. Asking here will net you the same result an internet search provided; prices all over the map. It doesn't matter what they're worth in Texas if you're in Rochester. You could just plug in the sku on the home depot/lowes/menards website with your zipcode listed and you'll get a better idea of prices than you're going to get here.

Either way, looks like a good haul.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-09-2014, 05:24 PM

View Duane Bledsoe's Photo Album My Photos
You can download an app for your smartphone that will let you scan item U.P.C. codes and get pricing. I think it would be based on local purchase prices because the app is supposed to help locate items for a potential purchase.

Everything I make from wood is useful. I can soak up spills with the sawdust, and keep warm burning the rest.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-09-2014, 05:48 PM

View DeanK's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Bledsoe View Post
You can download an app for your smartphone that will let you scan item U.P.C. codes and get pricing. I think it would be based on local purchase prices because the app is supposed to help locate items for a potential purchase.
ShopSavvy is a great app for this. Saved me a lot of money when Xmas shopping.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-10-2014, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

I will have to check this out. Finally got all the stuff last night, the guy definately had some sort of business cause he was selling a bunch of used tools also. Now its off to try and find some sort of person who frames for a living and try to unload duplex nails and 4.5" common nails which I would have absolutely no use for. Good news is I talked to my father in law and he wants to build a deck at the cottage this summer so I win on multiple fronts 1) I get in good with the in laws by saving them money 2) I get experience learning from an old pro on how to do the job right!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode