Going to try something..... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 05-09-2016, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Going to try something.....

....If it works will give a thread of it's own. So far:
Attached Images

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-09-2016, 09:48 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
What is the purpose of it?
post #3 of 19 Old 05-09-2016, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
What is the purpose of it?
Stay tuned for tomorrows? pics!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-09-2016, 10:08 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Whatever "it" is it already has a thread of its own.

What is it you are doing?

George
post #5 of 19 Old 05-09-2016, 10:08 PM

View philmy's Photo Album My Photos
Tomorrow! 😡 what time?
post #6 of 19 Old 05-10-2016, 01:31 AM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
A potato gun.....and the TATER got STUCK....KabooMMMMM!!! LOL!!

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-10-2016, 02:37 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Start of a homemade DC cyclone?

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #8 of 19 Old 05-10-2016, 06:42 AM

View Blaster_Bretty's Photo Album My Photos
Hmmmmm im interested too! A conga maybe?
post #9 of 19 Old 05-10-2016, 08:15 AM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
Mailbox post?
post #10 of 19 Old 05-10-2016, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Start of a homemade DC cyclone?
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Probably have a whole $8-10 invested, just had to try it. Old shop vac bottom from a dead machine. Trying something a little different with the top vac port, probably make little difference. May also cut the bottom of the cyclone off a bit later on if it looks like it might help. Need to cut a lid and insert the top vac port and then I can give it a try.
Attached Images

post #11 of 19 Old 05-10-2016, 03:42 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchymist View Post
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Probably have a whole $8-10 invested, just had to try it. Old shop vac bottom from a dead machine. Trying something a little different with the top vac port, probably make little difference. May also cut the bottom of the cyclone off a bit later on if it looks like it might help. Need to cut a lid and insert the top vac port and then I can give it a try.
Woo, win!

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
OnealWoodworking (06-05-2016)
post #12 of 19 Old 05-10-2016, 04:02 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Excellent! I love projects made from plumbing parts! Is that a toilet flange at the bottom? Awesome. How did you get it to come together in such a perfect cone shape?

I think you need to find a good way to ground it. PVC builds up static electricity like nobody's business...
post #13 of 19 Old 05-10-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
Excellent! I love projects made from plumbing parts! Is that a toilet flange at the bottom? Awesome. How did you get it to come together in such a perfect cone shape?

I think you need to find a good way to ground it. PVC builds up static electricity like nobody's business...
Yes, uses 2 toilet flanges, (4" & 3"), and one 3" coupling, piece of 6" pipe and a stub of 3" pipe, plus smaller pipe for the inlet/outlet.

Making the cone is fairly easy. Run a strip if painter's tape around the end of the pipe & overlap, cut with razor knife at the overlap. Remove the tape and stick it onto a flat surface. 6" pipe is just a bit over 20" in circumference, so set a pair of dividers to 1" plus a smidge, and walk it down the edge of the tape. If it comes out near exact on the end of the tape, good. If not, slightly adjust the dividers and repeat. Repeat until the last segment on the tape is within a 1/16" or so of the same size as the rest. Doesn't have to be perfect.

Now use the dividers to walk around the end of the pipe, dividing it into 20 sections. Next take a framing square and transfer one of the marks to the other end of the pipe, 6" from that end. (Draw a line around the pipe at the 6" mark). Now, mark off one space on the 6" line. Divide this space in half. Then, starting at the 1/2 mark, go around the 6" line with the dividers (same setting), but now only mark off every other mark.

You now have 10 marks on the 6" line, and 20 on the end of the pipe. Starting at the end of the pipe with the mark you transferred to the 6" line, draw a line from that mark to the mark on the 6" line that is 1/2 space over from the start. Move to the next mark in the end of the pipe, and draw a line to the same 1/2 mark on the 6" line. This will make a triangle.

Put some xx marks on this triangle, as it gets cut out. On the end of the pipe, skip to the next mark, make a line to the next point on the 6" line (2" from the point of the first triangle). From that point on the 6" line, draw another line to the next point on the end of the pipe. X out that triangle. Repeat all the way around the pipe. When done, you should have 10 triangles on the base of the pipe, and 10 1" spaces between them. On the 6" line, you should have 10 triangle points with 2" spaces between them.

I draw the lines with a sharpie, a new one leaves a line that is just the width of the sabre saw blade, making it easier to saw the triangles out. The straighter you can keep the cuts the easier to glue up.

post #14 of 19 Old 05-10-2016, 09:11 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Ok, now I get how you cut it... How did you clamp and glue it?
post #15 of 19 Old 05-10-2016, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
Ok, now I get how you cut it... How did you clamp and glue it?
3 sets of large worm clamps. Using PVC or all purpose pipe glue, smear a coating on two sides of two adjacent cuts, then drop the clamps on and tighten. Let dry, repeat for the next two. If it gives problems, do one at a time.

There will be slight gaps in some places between the segments, don't worry about them. When all is glued up and dry, use a sharp chisel and remove any glue on the outside of the segments. Then two or three segments at a time, fill the gaps and any valleys between segments with epoxy. I cleaned up the epoxy with a chisel also, but it's not really necessary, just for looks.

post #16 of 19 Old 05-14-2016, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Tried it today, so far so good. seems like (subjectively) it has more suction than the homemade Thein baffle I used previously. Can't really tell if more of the fines are being captured, as I don't have a new filter for the shop vac to try. Did notice that the Thein baffle packs in a lot of fine dust and small particles, which may be contributing to a loss of suction.

Does seem like more of the finer stuff is ending up in the bottom of the cyclone, but hard to tell. Last pic is of the pile of dust/garbage I recycled through several times. Looks like less of the fine stuff in the shop vac filter, but can't say for sure. Will have to wait until I pick up a new filter.

First pic is of the "top hat" inlet that sits in the top of the cyclone. 3: toilet flange, coupler, short piece of 3" pipe which extends to just about where the taper starts in the cyclone body. 2nd pic -Inside that is the 2" inlet pipe, couple inches shorter than the 3" pipe. Don't know if this is helpful, but doesn't seem to hinder.

Third pic is the whole setup. Now I have to build a cart for it, and raise the shop vac somewhat higher than it is now, perhaps shorten the shop vac connecting hose some more.
Attached Images

post #17 of 19 Old 06-05-2016, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Just for closure:

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/wh...5/#post1400905

post #18 of 19 Old 04-23-2017, 12:45 PM

View Willy-N's Photo Album My Photos
Still working on my Cyclone Separator for my Dust Collection System. Sure takes a lot of fittings, clamps and hose to set it up right. I will take some pictures when it is done. I made a set up that sits behind my Chop Saw and collects the saw dust off the saws outlet and off the sides of it when the cut is made. My 4" suction and a 16" square intake works great for the odd saw dust that comes off the blades sides. I found if you stretch the flex pipe by clamping each end you can work a heat gun to warm it up to get the full length on the stuff! That way it does not collapse back to real short so easy. Better for the flow of dust with less air resistance ribs in the flex when pulled out all the way.
post #19 of 19 Old 06-19-2018, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Here we are almost a year later...... just emptied my shop made duct collector (http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/go...2/#post1376466). Red bucket must have about 8 gallons of dust/debris from machines and floor sweepings. The vac itself - couple or three quarts. Really pleased with it, from empty to full no variation in suction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6492.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	362968  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6493.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	362970  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode