Going through a woodworking dry spell - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 05-20-2014, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Going through a woodworking dry spell

So it's been a while since I've posted.....and even longer since i've set foot in my shop. It's odd because I have projects to build, but I just haven't been able to force myself to work. I think much of my issue comes down to my next project being a plywood project, which is difficult to do in my smallish shop. I really need to get back to it....anyhow.......Hi again guys!

The tools don't make the craftsman....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-20-2014, 11:27 PM

View Sarge240's Photo Album My Photos
I had this problem not long ago, so I decided to build "shop furniture" and made a router table. I figured it would be constructive to improve the shop rather than build something for a project. It worked and I had to use the table to test it which set things back in motion.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-21-2014, 12:06 AM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
Sometime around the end of this month our weather will take a drastic change with daily rain and really hot humid days. I've got maybe 4 projects waiting for me to work on them, but with my own shop being either out on the car port or in the back yard with no shade the chances of me getting to them before next fall are slim and none.

After a long spell of no shop time, it usually takes me a few smaller projects to get the juices flowing again. Try throwing together something easy like a bird feeder to get yourself in the mood again.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-21-2014, 02:16 AM

View j10c3y25's Photo Album My Photos
I have been experiencing the same problem, though not due to any weather or space issues. I have a lot of projects in my head but getting them on paper even feels like a challenge lately. Today I finally just went out into the shop and started making sawdust, and while I did make some progress it was with considerable amounts of frustration. Didn't lock my fence all the way down once and jacked up 1 of 4 identical pieces, and all my crosscuts came out off square. My tools being out of adjustment, plus the post apocalyptic landscape of my garage (can barely walk around in here), is really quite depressing. To make it worse, the projects I'm having trouble getting to ARE my shop projects, the only solution to my current issues. On the positive side, every one of these I finish will make it just a little bit nicer to work in the garage, so there's motivation
post #5 of 19 Old 05-21-2014, 09:30 AM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome back to the land of the living, Ryan. Most of my projects are plywood, these days, so don't feel bad. Just get it done and move on to the next one you'll enjoy more.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-21-2014, 11:32 AM
bob mac

View robert mcintyre's Photo Album My Photos
Know how you feel!!

I just finished getting the shop in the shape I need it. Bad vision requires every tool being placed back where it belongs after each use. I started a outside bench that requires more joints that I really Know how to cut. Bought new plunge router and spent 3 days getting it in my router table. Tried to cut long curve on my bandsaw forgot mortise joints to be cut later needed square settings on router fence.
Anyways,rather than bore you with details I will get back to it ( sometime)
post #7 of 19 Old 05-21-2014, 05:13 PM

View rtutsky's Photo Album My Photos
For me the key word that you mention is "force". Every time I force myself to start or continue on a project the time spent works out to be an enjoyable event. The other "trick" is to not let time lapse before jumping right back in again. That's what works for me.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-21-2014, 06:30 PM

View Geccko's Photo Album My Photos
I have same problem, if I need to do some big project in my small workshop it's hard to start. Easy way out of that loop for me is to clean the shop (remove all unnecessary junk so that I have a little more space) and just start slowly. It's like each morning you have to go to work or school the same attitude you have to have in your head for starting the project. Set your mind that tomorrow you will start and then just start it, it doesn't matter if you cut just one piece or more, you just have to start somewhere and then you get sucked in :)
The Following User Says Thank You to Geccko For This Useful Post:
juice3250 (05-23-2014)
post #9 of 19 Old 05-22-2014, 03:11 AM

View JohnnyG73's Photo Album My Photos
One of the biggest things that kills my drive to get in the shop, even when I have projects that HAVE to get done, is a messy shop.

I'm not the cleanest when it comes to my shop. Tools gradually get out of place, scraps and cut offs pile up, multiple unfinished projects are sitting around, and sawdust is on everything. I have noticed that my drive declines and frustration sets in the messier the shop is.

Sometimes I just take a day and clean. Pull machines out and sweep out the corners. Organize and put away tools. Determine what to do with unfinished projects. The next day my drive and ambition is back. I have a clean shop and ideas are flowing again.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyG73 For This Useful Post:
juice3250 (05-23-2014)
post #10 of 19 Old 05-22-2014, 08:32 PM

View herrwood's Photo Album My Photos
Sometimes you just need a change. Take a break for a while, I took a break from woodworking for about 14 yrs. Back at it now and am all charged up again. My case is extreme but maybe you need some time off. Unless its how you make you living, if you have to force you self to go to the shop its time for a change do something else you like for awhile
post #11 of 19 Old 05-22-2014, 09:53 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Wow 50
You've been missed. Even if we've been a couple of ucks to each other. Been borin around here.

I can relate to the downer doing big projects in a small shop. For a few years I didn't set up my full shop in my southern home. I tried to work out of the 2 car garage with half the tools and the rest in storage. Soon as I set up my shop I built my wife the hutch and sideboard she had been waiting on for over a year.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

post #12 of 19 Old 05-23-2014, 06:21 AM

View juice3250's Photo Album My Photos
Going through a woodworking dry spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG73 View Post
One of the biggest things that kills my drive to get in the shop, even when I have projects that HAVE to get done, is a messy shop.

I'm not the cleanest when it comes to my shop. Tools gradually get out of place, scraps and cut offs pile up, multiple unfinished projects are sitting around, and sawdust is on everything. I have noticed that my drive declines and frustration sets in the messier the shop is.

Sometimes I just take a day and clean. Pull machines out and sweep out the corners. Organize and put away tools. Determine what to do with unfinished projects. The next day my drive and ambition is back. I have a clean shop and ideas are flowing again.

I couldn't agree more with you on all of these points. This is exactly what happens to me when I have a messy shop. I get frustrated when I have to step over and around things. Somehow I always buy into the lie that by leaving my tools out that they will be more easily accessible and that my work will go quicker.

My problem is when I leave something unfinished for the next day I will leave all the tools I was using out, then when I go out the next day I get distracted by something else and the tools don't get put away.

It really is of great benefit to have a clean work space. You will enjoy it much more and get a lot more accomplished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by juice3250; 05-23-2014 at 06:23 AM.
post #13 of 19 Old 05-23-2014, 07:31 AM

View garryswf's Photo Album My Photos
Ryan, having a woodshop doesn't. mean we should spend every spare minute we have working in it, hell I started my latest project in march or April and it isn't done yet. Maybe you just needed a little me time, that has probably happened to a lot of the guys on this forum. So quit making yourself feel guilty, that old urge will hit you and you'll be back at it. Keep this in mind " It ain't a job it's a hobby" and a damned expensive one LOL.

Last edited by garryswf; 05-23-2014 at 07:36 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to garryswf For This Useful Post:
juice3250 (05-23-2014)
post #14 of 19 Old 05-23-2014, 08:15 AM

View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
For me the change in seasons means new priorities. Gotta mow the lawn, clean up the gas grill etc. Jointer and planer rolled out of the shop to make room for the motorcycle lift. I keep praying for a rainy weekend so I can justify spending time working wood.

Dave in CT, USA
The Following User Says Thank You to Maylar For This Useful Post:
juice3250 (05-23-2014)
post #15 of 19 Old 05-24-2014, 12:50 PM

View JMartel's Photo Album My Photos
If it makes you feel any better, I've been swamped recently with projects (and stuff at work too) which is why I haven't been on here much. Balances out maybe?
post #16 of 19 Old 05-26-2014, 12:45 AM
In The Basement

View aaronhl's Photo Album My Photos
Organize and clean your shop. I find I am way more productive and eager to work in my small shop when I have plenty of floor and bench space.
post #17 of 19 Old 05-26-2014, 11:40 AM

View Mark G's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer View Post
Wow 50
You've been missed. Even if we've been a couple of ucks to each other. Been borin around here.
Al, I'm here for you man, if you get really desperate.
post #18 of 19 Old 05-26-2014, 03:26 PM

View Julie Mor's Photo Album My Photos
I have to agree with the others here, a messy shop is the #1 desire killer for working in the shop. Problem is, once I take the time to clean it up, I'm all excited about working in it. And then, before you know it, it's a mess again.

When you judge others, you don't define them, you define yourself. - Wayne Dyer
post #19 of 19 Old 05-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
Ryan, I know where you are coming from. Sadly I didn't even complete my daughters HS graduation gift. Lucky for me she won't need it until she starts college so I still have a few weeks :(. My biggest challenge isn't a messy shop, but the exact opposite. I work out of a 2-car attached garage that is the main entrance into our home. I HAVE to clean up any mess I make that day, which makes me not want to make messes most days. The other challenge I have is I have too much equipment. Yes, i's true :) In order for me to do anything I end up moving stuff around which takes lots of effort on my part. And since all this requires my garage door to be open, if the weather is bad its not an option.

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode