Gluing multiple layers of plywood at an angle - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 03-10-2016, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

View FallonMolly52's Photo Album My Photos
Gluing multiple layers of plywood at an angle

I am gluing several layers of plywood together with a 20 degree edge angle. My issue is the pieces of wood sliding while clamped. My only thought to remedy this is to construct a "chute" or box that applies restriction on four sides while using a pipe clamp to compress the boards together from either end. I know this is a little peculiar to understand without pictures so please respond with your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-10-2016, 04:09 AM

View Danno's Photo Album My Photos
Is it visible on both sides? Could you pin it together from the back before clamping?
post #3 of 8 Old 03-10-2016, 05:08 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-10-2016, 08:42 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If it were me I would nail it and forget the clamps. Not using nails you might use biscuits or a spline in the joints to help hold them in place.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-10-2016, 09:29 AM

View regesullivan's Photo Album My Photos
If nailing or pinning is not an option sprinkle a small pinch of sand or any hard grit after spreading the glue. It will help keep it from sliding while clamping.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-10-2016, 10:05 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallonMolly52 View Post
I am gluing several layers of plywood together with a 20 degree edge angle. My issue is the pieces of wood sliding while clamped. My only thought to remedy this is to construct a "chute" or box that applies restriction on four sides while using a pipe clamp to compress the boards together from either end. I know this is a little peculiar to understand without pictures so please respond with your suggestions.
Without a photo it is a bit difficult to understand exactly what you are attempting.... however if the edges run lengthwise, like a bevel, it is more tricky. If the edges are along the width like a miter, it will be easier..

The bevel is what I suspect you are doing since you mentioned a "chute" to constrain the pieces. That sounds like a lot of work and for a one time only may not be worth it... I donno?

If you can glue them vertically, make a 20 degree wedge and fasten it to the bench. Make another wedge with an additional block and use it to maintain the angle on the other end. Now you have access to both sides of the joint IF you want to drive a pin nail to restrain them. Additionally you can hot glue some gluing blocks at several places to get back to a parallel condition for a clamp or two.

OR you can make small wedge blocks like these:

A similar idea:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 8 Old 03-10-2016, 10:45 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It's a funny thing about clamping miters. A lot of folks think it takes a lot of pressure to make the joint stay. You're are only going to get so much strength from an end grain joint unless you put some kind of spline in the joint. With just a butt joint it only takes contact. Somewhere in North Carolina there is an airport terminal with decorative columns which the mitered joints were clamped together with masking tape. This is how the company I worked for assembled them. They were fabricated in the Dallas area and shipped there and installed.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-10-2016, 11:52 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
sometimes clamping can be better done by cutting the pieces oversized, then nailing, screwing, clamping in the waste area can be accomplished.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode