Glueing wood to glass - alternatives to silicone and epoxy? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 25 Old 05-30-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Glueing wood to glass - alternatives to silicone and epoxy?

I’m working on a project where I need to adhere a drinking glass to wood.

The lip of the glass is only 1/8” so there’s not a lot of surface area.

West Systems makes an Epoxy call G-Flex which they say is good for this purpose, but in my past experience, epoxy has separated from the glass.

I just tried a test using silicone. It held pretty well, but eventually separated cleanly from the wood.

Just in case I’m not making this challenging enough for you guys, the glueing surface on the wood is end grain.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-30-2019, 08:43 AM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
E-6000 is like silicone adhesive on steroids. It has a much stronger grip but retains the same flexibility. You can find it at hobby stores, on line and at Lowes.

It is a styrene based adhesive.
post #3 of 25 Old 05-30-2019, 09:22 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Perhaps roughen the edge of the glass by sliding it across suitable sand paper. I would use wet and dry myself.
johnep
Kerrys likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 05-30-2019, 10:33 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Assuming it no longer needs to be watertight could you put the glass on with screws or bolts?

Epoxy would adhere to glass if you would roughen it with a sandblaster. Mask off the area of the glass to be blasted with duct tape and if you are careful the rest of the glass wouldn't get sandblasted. I had problems with the rear view mirror on a jeep falling off so I sandblasted the windshield and the mirror has been there for 20 years now. I used PC7 epoxy on it. It's nearly black in color though.
post #5 of 25 Old 05-30-2019, 12:05 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
If color don't matter, use J-B Weld. Our mirror in our car kept falling off no matter what I used, I tried J-B Weld and it stayed up for over three years and still was holding when a tractor trailer hit my wife and totaled the car last month, last I saw of it, it was still there. J-B Weld is harder than Superman's knee caps.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #6 of 25 Old 05-30-2019, 02:15 PM

View unburled's Photo Album My Photos
route out the wood, providing more glue surface area and inherent stability.
woodnthings and TobyC like this.
post #7 of 25 Old 05-30-2019, 06:20 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Use a hole saw ..... IF

If the diameter is close to a standard hole saw, make a shallow cut which will give more holding power to which ever you choose for the adhesive.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 25 Old 05-30-2019, 11:01 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
You need to find an adhesive that will bond to both, simply adding more surface area will not solve your problem, check out the silicone solutions as has been suggested in the second post.

ďEverything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.Ē
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #9 of 25 Old 05-31-2019, 02:29 AM
where's my table saw?

A shallow recess adds mechanical strength ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unburled View Post
route out the wood, providing more glue surface area and inherent stability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
If the diameter is close to a standard hole saw, make a shallow cut which will give more holding power to which ever you choose for the adhesive.

In addition to providing more surface area, a shallow recess will resist any movement laterally and add support. The adhesive should be appropriate for bonding the two dissimiliar materials. Packard's E-6000 suggestion seems to be a good one.
TobyC likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #10 of 25 Old 05-31-2019, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

The project Iím working on is a salt mill with a glass center section. Because one of the glued sections will be in contact with the salt, Iím using food-safe silicone, so Iím a bit limited in selection.

I have tried a test with both. It took some effort, but the silicone separated from the wood and the Epoxy separated from the glass.

Iíve got a new Epoxy test underway where Iíve roughened the glass and Iím about to try a silicone test after roughening the wood as soon as I figure out how to do that.
post #11 of 25 Old 05-31-2019, 08:46 AM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
The project Iím working on is a salt mill with a glass center section. Because one of the glued sections will be in contact with the salt, Iím using food-safe silicone, so Iím a bit limited in selection.

I have tried a test with both. It took some effort, but the silicone separated from the wood and the Epoxy separated from the glass.

Iíve got a new Epoxy test underway where Iíve roughened the glass and Iím about to try a silicone test after roughening the wood as soon as I figure out how to do that.
E6000 is not food safe. Here is a list of food safe adhesives (pure silicone and epoxy show up, but epoxy seems the stronger option):

https://www.masterbond.com/tds/ep30ht

https://www.google.com/search?ei=NiD...67.E7GV4W8exZo
post #12 of 25 Old 05-31-2019, 10:20 AM

View 1618's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
West Systems makes an Epoxy call G-Flex which they say is good for this purpose, but in my past experience, epoxy has separated from the glass.
I'd use epoxy.

I've seen where bone gelatine got onto glass and people tried to scrape it off, and it adhered so well that scraping off the bits of gelatine actually ripped out pits of glass from the window. I suspect epoxy would adhere just as well, if not better.

Sounds to me like you didn't degrease it well enough. Sanding the glass before degreasing (and wetting out with unthickened epoxy) would be the best method, in my view. I would also wet out the end grain wood with unthickened epoxy until it soaked up no more, then, while the epoxy was still "green" (able to dent with fingernail), join the two items using epoxy thickened with cabosil (fumed silica) or (preferably) West System filler #404 if I had it.

If it was to be used outdoors, I would also add something to the filler to block UV ... graphite, or aluminum powder or something like that.

Last edited by 1618; 05-31-2019 at 10:25 AM.
post #13 of 25 Old 05-31-2019, 10:39 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I responded to your post in this thread:

Thread:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/f...licone-212727/
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/f...7/#post2056433

I suggested ASI #502 Silicone from American Sealants, Inc.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063U2RWU

Does it fail to meet your requirements?
post #14 of 25 Old 05-31-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
I responded to your post in this thread:

Thread:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/f...licone-212727/
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/f...7/#post2056433

I suggested ASI #502 Silicone from American Sealants, Inc.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063U2RWU

Does it fail to meet your requirements?
I am using RTV Silicone. It sticks to the glass like nobody's business, but it separated from the wood with moderate force. I have a test going now where I roughed up the wood, so there's be some "tooth" for the silicone to grab.

I'm going to let it go a full 24 hours, so I won't be able to update until tomorrow.
post #15 of 25 Old 05-31-2019, 02:29 PM
where's my table saw?

Seal the wood first!

Quote:
I am using RTV Silicone. It sticks to the glass like nobody's business, but it separated from the wood with moderate force. I have a test going now where I roughed up the wood, so there's be some "tooth" for the silicone to grab.

I'm going to let it go a full 24 hours, so I won't be able to update until tomorrow.

As you discovered, the silicone will adhere to a non-porous surface much better than not. Any clear sealant like shellac or fast dry enamel should help the silicone to adhere better.
TobyC likes this.

post #16 of 25 Old 05-31-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
As you discovered, the silicone will adhere to a non-porous surface much better than not. Any clear sealant like shellac or fast dry enamel should help the silicone to adhere better.
Dang! This sounds like the ticket! I can seal the end grain with epoxy, then use the silicone to provide a flexible bond.
TobyC likes this.
post #17 of 25 Old 06-01-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Another reason to always test on scrap

So I did a test where I coated the end grain with Epoxy and then made a joint using silicone. After curing, the silicone peeled right off! It cam off even easier than it did on the bare wood. Amazing!
post #18 of 25 Old 06-02-2019, 07:09 AM

View 1618's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
So I did a test where I coated the end grain with Epoxy and then made a joint using silicone. After curing, the silicone peeled right off! It cam off even easier than it did on the bare wood. Amazing!
Did you de-blush the hardened epoxy before applying the silicone? You need to remove the amine blush to apply more epoxy or paint or pretty much anything else, if you want it to adhere. I sand or use Scotchbrite with water, then rinse with more water, then let dry.
post #19 of 25 Old 06-03-2019, 08:41 AM
CharleyL

View CharleyL's Photo Album My Photos
Whenever faced with a bonding situation like this, I always go to www.thistothat.com for the suggested method.

In your case, wood moves with humidity changes and glass doesn't, so the glue needs to be flexible after it cures and if it isn't, the glass will break as the wood moves. To me, that rules out epoxy, but using epoxy as a grain sealer on the wood is a good idea. A silicone glue will provide needed joint flexibility, but won't bond tightly to glass unless the glass is completely clean including the removal of finger prints.

Charley
post #20 of 25 Old 06-03-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyL View Post
Whenever faced with a bonding situation like this, I always go to www.thistothat.com for the suggested method.

In your case, wood moves with humidity changes and glass doesn't, so the glue needs to be flexible after it cures and if it isn't, the glass will break as the wood moves. To me, that rules out epoxy, but using epoxy as a grain sealer on the wood is a good idea. A silicone glue will provide needed joint flexibility, but won't bond tightly to glass unless the glass is completely clean including the removal of finger prints.

Charley
On my test pieces, the silicone stuck to the glass extreeemly well. So much so that it was a real bear to get off to conduct a second experiment. I ended up using a different glass jar for the next test. But, the silicone didn't stick wood worth a darn. For the second test, I sealed the end grain with epoxy and tried gluing to it with the silicone. The silicone REALLY didn't stick to the epoxy. It peeled off easily.

My best success so far has been roughing the glass and using West Systems G-Flex epoxy. Just trying to twist or pull the jar wouldn't break the bond. When I hit the wood that the jar was glued to with a hammer, it did finally break off, but some glass broke free from the jar, so it would seem the bond was pretty good. West claims that G-Flex is flexible to handle the wood movement, but I'm a little skeptical.

I also have an experiment where I coated the endgrain with shellac and have a jar bonded to it. I'm giving it several days to fully cure before I try to break it apart.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode