Is glue strong enough to hold nailing board? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By allpurpose
  • 1 Post By Catpower

post #1 of 12 Old 10-03-2017, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

View Microscopes's Photo Album My Photos
Have full overlay cabinets, so need a nailing strip on top of the cabinets to attach the crown. She would prefer no more screws going through her cabinet - Would glue be strong enough to hold the nailing strip to the top of the cabinet, with nails being driven into it for the crown?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-03-2017, 10:06 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Need more info as to specifically how and where the nailing board fits.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-04-2017, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

View Microscopes's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Need more info as to specifically how and where the nailing board fits.
Right above the face frame.

And the crown attaches to it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-04-2017, 12:32 PM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
Are the cabinets already hung?

Personally, I wouldn't trust glue to hold the nailing strip, especially when you've got only two hands and have to hold the crown in place, hold the nail, hammer the nail, then the crown slips out of position, then you drop the nail, go back down the ladder, pick up the nail, get everything in place, hold the crown in position with your elbow, and then you start to nail and the strip pops loose from the cabinet.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-04-2017, 12:35 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
Most likely you can glue a nail strip to the top of the face frame by cleaning and scratch sanding the surface first. Don't finish the joining surface of the nailer strip. Use melamine glue (Franklin sells it.) You can use spring clamps? (or other clamps that will fit, just that if you don't have enough clamps, the spring clamps are cheap) to hold it until set. Melamine glue sets kind of slow so give it overnight. Use a pneumatic pinner to attach the crown, not a hammer driven nail. Melamine glue will stick to most finished surfaces but requires one of the mating surfaces to be raw "wood" to allow the moisture to evaporate away.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-04-2017, 03:24 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microscopes View Post
Right above the face frame.

And the crown attaches to it.

If it were me if the cabinets are not installed yet I would glue and nail the strip on the cabinet. If the cabinets are already installed I would glue and clamp the strip on.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-04-2017, 05:09 PM
J_L

View J_L's Photo Album My Photos
If it were me I'd predrill and screw the nailer down into the faceframe with a right angle drill. No visible holes and it is solid.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-04-2017, 05:30 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Schweitzer View Post
Most likely you can glue a nail strip to the top of the face frame by cleaning and scratch sanding the surface first. Don't finish the joining surface of the nailer strip. Use melamine glue (Franklin sells it.) You can use spring clamps? (or other clamps that will fit, just that if you don't have enough clamps, the spring clamps are cheap) to hold it until set. Melamine glue sets kind of slow so give it overnight. Use a pneumatic pinner to attach the crown, not a hammer driven nail. Melamine glue will stick to most finished surfaces but requires one of the mating surfaces to be raw "wood" to allow the moisture to evaporate away.

Aren't those 23 ga pinners the best thing since well, sliced bread LOL

I bought a 13/8 Porter Cable reman for I think it was $49 from CPO, I swear it looked like it had never been used I love the little thing. I was going to hold off and get a 2 inch model that another company makes but got to thinking when will I ever use a 2 inch pin (probably my next project LOL)
post #9 of 12 Old 10-05-2017, 12:39 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Isn't that the way women are? "I don't want [insert whatever ]" when it's been done that way since time began?
My woman thought we (by we she meant me) should be able to mow the entire yard (about an acre of hill) with an old push reel mower..
When I finally convinced her that wasn't happening now or any time before my death she relented and we now have a nice Craftsman riding mower and it doesn't take 15 years to cut the first 10 feet of grass.. lol
gj13us likes this.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #10 of 12 Old 10-05-2017, 08:50 AM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
Isn't that the way women are? "I don't want [insert whatever ]" when it's been done that way since time began?
My woman thought we (by we she meant me) should be able to mow the entire yard (about an acre of hill) with an old push reel mower..
When I finally convinced her that wasn't happening now or any time before my death she relented and we now have a nice Craftsman riding mower and it doesn't take 15 years to cut the first 10 feet of grass.. lol
I use a new old push reel mower--but don't have an acre to mow. More like 1/3 of an acre.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-05-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
We have 45 acres but only mow about 5 of them, I use a 15 foot Bush Hog to mow the rest.I told my wife the mowing was up to her, if I mow it would be with Round Up. The first mower she got was a 20 HP MTD, can't remember the make that was stamped on it, then I bought her a 2110 John Deere for one mother's day, neat little rig about 25 hp diesel, 65 inch cut canopy for shade. She really loved it but one year when the money was really pouring in We needed some tax deductions so I got her this

66hp a/c, heat, kick ass stereo, air ride seat, the works. The only down side is the stereo, she listens to it and not the machine, we go through a belt about every other summer, kind of a pita to change, and they are $140, it is a double sided C belt, not enough to slow down engine
Attached Images

post #12 of 12 Old 10-05-2017, 11:19 AM

How can a thread go from nailing strips to lawn mowing LOL
Kerrys likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode