• 3 Post By thegrgyle
  • 1 Post By Cfwoodworker
  • 1 Post By thegrgyle
  • 2 Post By Rick Christopherson
  • 1 Post By Cfwoodworker

post #1 of 15 Old 07-15-2020, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

View Cfwoodworker's Photo Album My Photos
Glider chair

Hello, I’ve been working on a glider chair for my front porch. I plan on making two of them out of cedar but for now I built a prototype out of pine. I have everything assembled however something seems off with the gliding mechanism. When the chair glides forward the chair tilts forward on the base. I’m including some pictures so you can see what I’m talking about. Does anyone have a suggestion of what I can do to fix it? Thank you very much!!Name:  AF57AA3E-9260-4D0B-8DE4-496B29EA808D_1594853261966.jpeg
Views: 59
Size:  102.4 KBName:  AF57AA3E-9260-4D0B-8DE4-496B29EA808D_1594853261966.jpeg
Views: 59
Size:  102.4 KBName:  30AF385D-45F6-462D-B0C9-B80D3A3E96E2_1594853237388.jpeg
Views: 56
Size:  99.0 KBName:  30AF385D-45F6-462D-B0C9-B80D3A3E96E2_1594853237388.jpeg
Views: 56
Size:  99.0 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 95070404-C1F7-42C8-9173-0F615A53055A_1594853280078.jpeg (103.4 KB, 30 views)

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-15-2020, 06:55 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
welcome to the forum !!
nice build - and good idea of making a prototype first.
did you have a set of plans to go by ?

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-15-2020, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks John. Yes I did use a set of plans and followed them exactly. The only difference was that I used steel metal as the glider brackets instead of the glider hardware. The measurements for the holes were the same as the recommended hardware so I don’t think it should make a difference. I’m just not sure why it leans forward so much. If you are leaning forward in the chair it feels like you are going to tip out of it

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-15-2020, 07:15 PM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
First off, welcome to the forum!

If i am seeing things correctly, your “glider mechanism “ is made of 2 steel bars mounted on both sides, but they are angled , and not parallel... for the chair to glide smoothly and not tilt forward, and backward, those bars need to be parallel to each other.

Hope this helps

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-15-2020, 07:16 PM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

Oh yeah... very nice build too!

Fabian

post #6 of 15 Old 07-15-2020, 07:23 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum! Add your first name to your signature line so we'll know what to call you and it will show in each post. Add your location to your profile, as well.

That's a nice looking glider, always wanted to build one of those but never have.

================================================== ======
Here are some photo posting tips if you’re taking photos with your phone or iPad – the best way for proper orientation is to shoot landscape (widescreen). Rotate your phone or iPad CCW for proper orientation. If you want your photos to be portrait then open the photo in a viewer on your computer, rotate it to the orientation you want, then save it in that orientation. It will be correct when you upload it to the servers here. If you’re shooting video please shoot widescreen like our monitors, not portrait.

The best way to post photos in line with your text is to use Go Advanced below the Quick Reply window. If you’re starting a new thread then you’re automatically in the Advanced editor. Click on the Paper Clip on the ribbon bar and that will bring up a dialogue box where you can browse to your photos. Upload them and then put your cursor where you want a photo, hit the dropdown beside the Paper Clip, and choose the photo you want inserted. If you have several photos and just want them at the end of your text then put your cursor at the end and hit the Insert All on the dropdown list of photos.

Always post a photo rather than a link; most folks won't click on a link.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #7 of 15 Old 07-15-2020, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

I actually tried making them parallel going straight up and down and the chair wasn’t gliding that much. Should I try making the bars angled but parallel to arch other?

Chris
post #8 of 15 Old 07-15-2020, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info David

Chris
difalkner likes this.

Chris
post #9 of 15 Old 07-15-2020, 08:15 PM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfwoodworker View Post
I actually tried making them parallel going straight up and down and the chair wasn’t gliding that much. Should I try making the bars angled but parallel to arch other?
Its been my experience that the longer the bar is, the more glide motion you will get. I am not sure how you could mount them angled and parallel, because when then get to the resting state, they will naturally be straight up and down (when parallel).
furnacefighter15 likes this.

Fabian

post #10 of 15 Old 07-15-2020, 08:29 PM

View Rick Christopherson's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfwoodworker View Post
Yes, this is correct. You can alter the motion of the glider by changing the spacing between the swingarm mounts at the base of the glider (or at the chair, which ever is easier).

Gliders do typically have some of the forward roll that you describe, which is the whole point of using a glider versus a swing design. So I wouldn't go too far in trying to flatten out the motion.

I designed a series of single/double glider/stationary chairs for Rockler Woodworking, and wrote up the construction instructions. I don't know if those plans are still available on their website, but here is the page where I discuss altering the motion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GliderNotes.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	489.4 KB
ID:	392511  

thegrgyle and difalkner like this.

Last edited by Rick Christopherson; 07-15-2020 at 08:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Christopherson For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (07-15-2020)
post #11 of 15 Old 07-15-2020, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Rick I will try to make some adjustments tomorrow. I’ll report back.
difalkner likes this.

Chris
post #12 of 15 Old 07-19-2020, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

So I was able to get my chair to glide better by moving the location of the brackets in the base. My concern is that the brackets are too close to the joint. The screw is going through the tendon. Will this cause issues and weaken the joint? I’ve included some pictures for reference. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCB6DD12-F822-4FFE-B227-729E678A783B_1595169817453.jpg (335.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg B879939C-C1AA-4DBF-A1E6-0F6AB7DDF8EC_1595169829537.jpg (310.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg E4BBE3FA-E698-4148-8442-BF534B363CD9_1595169841634.jpg (330.4 KB, 11 views)

Chris
post #13 of 15 Old 07-19-2020, 11:22 AM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

In many cases, people put pegs thru tennons to help lock them in place, if the glue fails. So with that being said, have a fasteners go thru it shouldnt weaken it, unless that fastener is The same size as the tennon, thus shortening the tennon. What i mean , is that if your tennon is 1.5 inches wide, nad you are have a 1/4” bolt going thru it, you will be fine

Fabian

post #14 of 15 Old 07-19-2020, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrgyle View Post
In many cases, people put pegs thru tennons to help lock them in place, if the glue fails. So with that being said, have a fasteners go thru it shouldnt weaken it, unless that fastener is The same size as the tennon, thus shortening the tennon. What i mean , is that if your tennon is 1.5 inches wide, nad you are have a 1/4” bolt going thru it, you will be fine
Thank you

Chris
post #15 of 15 Old 07-19-2020, 01:09 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Seems you have the weight I the center and when gliding center your weight would be to the front...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode