Gift for retiring Cubmaster - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Trytore Member

View Shop Dad's Photo Album My Photos
Gift for retiring Cubmaster

I'm the committee chair for our local Cub Scouts pack and our Cubmaster is "retiring" after several years of service to the pack. We would like to give her something to say "thank you" so I'm looking for ideas.

We are thinking about getting a plaque made with scout insignia etc. I'm also thinking about turning a walking stick. I'd need to do it in two parts on my lathe so looking at hardware from Lee Valley so it can come apart. Has anyone done something like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 10:46 AM

View tcleve4911's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shop Dad View Post
I'm the committee chair for our local Cub Scouts pack and our Cubmaster is "retiring" after several years of service to the pack. We would like to give her something to say "thank you" so I'm looking for ideas.

We are thinking about getting a plaque made with scout insignia etc. I'm also thinking about turning a walking stick. I'd need to do it in two parts on my lathe so looking at hardware from Lee Valley so it can come apart. Has anyone done something like this?
I have not but what about a cue stick connection.?
They're usually brass or chrome.
You could find an old one and salvage the parts ?????
Just an idea.

Learning more about tools everyday
The Following User Says Thank You to tcleve4911 For This Useful Post:
Shop Dad (01-21-2013)
post #3 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 10:52 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

That is a nice project.

I have not used the walking cane hardware.

We have both made the pizza cutters. The challenge is the inserts need some iterations to get the right hole size. These look like they will not cut the threads well, same as the Woodcraft kit. I ended up drilling a hole which was 1/32in smaller than the OD of the insert and reinforcing with CA glue.

My wife does sublimation printing onto various items, including tiles, small ornaments, coffee mugs.

You could make a frame for a tile.

I would be happy to have her print the insignia onto a tile for you. Just send me a message to the off site email.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Paine For This Useful Post:
Shop Dad (01-21-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Trytore Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcleve4911 View Post
I have not but what about a cue stick connection.?
I thought about that and looked at them to help my search terminology. I would be afraid that the hardware isn't robust enough since it's made for a different application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
That is a nice project.

I have not used the walking cane hardware.

We have both made the pizza cutters. The challenge is the inserts need some iterations to get the right hole size. These look like they will not cut the threads well, same as the Woodcraft kit. I ended up drilling a hole which was 1/32in smaller than the OD of the insert and reinforcing with CA glue.

My wife does sublimation printing onto various items, including tiles, small ornaments, coffee mugs.

You could make a frame for a tile.

I would be happy to have her print the insignia onto a tile for you. Just send me a message to the off site email.
Dave, thanks for the offer! I know what you mean about the inserts. These are even bigger. In fact I just made another pizza cutter yesterday for some visiting friends. Had to try twice at the insert but got it eventually. They loved it.

Name:  IMG_1240.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  94.2 KB
post #5 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 AM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
I've been involved with our local scouting groups for years (den leader - cubmaster - scoutmaster- now commissioner). Every year I'm asked to make several Arrow of Light" awards for the scouts earning it. Maybe you could cut one for her with patches of the levels on it somehow.
I make them out of oak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	230.jpg
Views:	839
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	60407  

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
The Following User Says Thank You to BernieL For This Useful Post:
Shop Dad (01-21-2013)
post #6 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Trytore Member

That's a cool idea Bernie! Her oldest two (twins) will be earning theirs this year so it would be neat for her to get a version like this. Do you do this on a bandsaw, scroll saw, router? Do you have a pattern you wouldn't mind passing on?
post #7 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I know what you mean about the inserts. These are even bigger. In fact I just made another pizza cutter yesterday for some visiting friends. Had to try twice at the insert but got it eventually. They loved it.
They should. Nice classic lines. I really like it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Paine For This Useful Post:
Shop Dad (01-21-2013)
post #8 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 09:12 PM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
Shop Dad - The symbol is all over the net and even in the WEBELOS Scout book. I believe I got the original pattern from a former Cubmaster who scanned the symbol out of scout book, printed it to a full page image and had it blown up at a Kinkos or other print shop. I have the pattern cut out as a template on a thin piece of hardboard. It is 24 inches long and I think 6 inches high.

I cut the bulk of it out on the bandsaw and finish it with a scroll saw. If you can't find the image, let me know and I'll get you linked to it or email me your snail mail address and I'll copy the image on a large piece of paper, fold it, and send it off to you.

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
The Following User Says Thank You to BernieL For This Useful Post:
Shop Dad (01-21-2013)
post #9 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Trytore Member

Thanks Bernie. I'll find it on the net as you say and use the profile. Don't have a scroll saw but I think I can figure it out. Makes sense to create a patter on hardboard. Might be a nice router project with that. It's actually a really great idea. I think she will really be touched.

Dave, thanks for the comments on the pizza cutter. I think I finally have the Myland's down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode